Foggers first hst cycle , let's see the results!!

foggers

Hey everyone just wanted to start my own hst log to keep track of my progress and also receive opinions about my log and other aspects of exercise.

Just a brief history I have been doing weights for 3 and a half years and for the past 10 months I have done absolutely nothing. I am turning 21 in October so as a present to myself I am devoting my time back into my body. Surprisingly I haven’t lost much size or definition I believe this is to do with my age, work and diet. My main weaknesses in terms of muscle hypertrophy and strength are my back, legs and shoulders (I was doing split training prior to this and always neglected these body parts as I was naïve) I wanted to do this to prove to myself that I can make a big change with my life and I want to push myself in terms of training. I am 6ft and I am at the moment 77kg (170lb) my goal with this hst it to bulk and gain 3kg (6lb) by the end of my first cycle (I like to aim high as it gives me that extra motivation to push myself) I have taken the time to test my 15, 10 and 5RM and have been deconditioned for 7 days since and I cant wait any longer to start.

I will be doing M/W/F sessions and my first hst cycle is:

Sumo dead lift
Chinups
Military press
Weighted crunch
Upright row
BB tricep extension
BB bicep curl
DB chest press
Pushups

I have chosen these exercises as I believe it to be very compound based and all these exercise I have practiced time and time again so I will not sacrifice good form during my workouts.

I am taking multivitamins, fish oil and creatine. With creatine would it be more beneficial to have it before or after my workouts? I personally believe it shouldn’t matter as long as I take it daily. I have opted against protein powders as I have seen little results with me and also I have very easy access to protein throughout my meals. (I work in a chicken and seafood takeaway restaurant 6 days a week and only eat healthy) I am not calorie counting as I estimate how much I eat and also at this job I work a lot of hours about 65 per week and this requires a lot of movement throughout my day burning a big amount of calories

I train at home alone in my gym so for the last 2 weeks I will most likely do 2RM unless anyone else has a better idea, I am open to suggestions.

I will try to post my progress with HST weekly and add any changes to my log to make it really workable

Here it goes!!!

just finished my first 15 workout and it was much more brutal than I thought i guess that would be because I havent done any lifting in awhile. I was hoping to do 2 sets but only got through the 1 but I made sure I had good form on all exercises. I found out that i do need to adjust my weighted crunches as they were pretty easy and I need to adjust my bicep curls as it was a bit too heavy to keep entire good form all the way through. All up I was pretty happy with my result cant wait to feel it tomorrow and then Ill get stuck into Wednesdays workout :)

ok just finished my 2nd workout for 15s and i think I already found my sweet spot with weights and volume, I have done one set with each exersice but at the beginning of the reps have gone 4-5 reps slow to allow more TUL then pushed out 15 reps for all. I was very happy with this workout as now my muscles feel stiff which is what I was initally looking for after my wokouts. anyway here is what i done today:

Sumo dead lift 15 rep at 47kg
Chinups 5 bw other 10 assisted ( this is my weakest exercise and one I want to improve more )
Military press 15 rep 34kg
Weighted crunch 15 rep at bw+5kg ( probably will use more weight for friday as this was too easy )
Upright row 15 rep at 10kg
BB tricep extension 15 rep at 28kg
BB bicep curl 15 rep at 28kg
DB chest press 15 rep at 10kg
Pushups 15 reps bw

I have also added one legged dumbbell calf raises at 15 rep 10kg

only notes was i noticed i was straining my neck a bit when doing chin ups, must use proper form.

all up so far so good I have added some weight but wont do a proper weigh until the one week mark, anyway time to rest and get ready for fridays workout, so far loving hst! :)

ok people gotta say that after 8 months of doing nothing I am loving lifting the old weights again and i feel better for it. Just finished my first week of 15's and now just finished training session number 4. Heres what it looked like:

(normally ment to do chinups but as my chinup bar is located outside and there is a storm i was unable to do any :( )
Sumo dead lift 15 rep at 53kg got through it all but it was tough. (this weight includes the bar which is 6kg)
Military press 15 rep 36kg
Weighted crunch 15 rep at bw+5kg
Upright row 15 rep at 11kg
BB tricep extension 15 rep at 31kg
BB bicep curl 15 rep at 31kg
DB chest press 15 rep at 14kg ( now i can start to feel it as this exercise I was still tweaking as I didnt get to fully test it during the max week)
Pushups 15 reps bw
calf raises one leg bw+11kg

I also made up for the lack of chin ups doing:
41kg sumo 5 reps
11kg upright rows 5rep
bw+5kg situps 15reps
bw+11kg calf raises 15repsbw pushups 22reps

This workout was excellent for me and tomorow morning i will be looking to see if I have gained any weight from last week which I believe i will I started out at 77.2kg hoping it will have increased by 400g that would be excellent. Thats all from me now time to continue and get set for wednesday.

Ok so today I did my weekly weigh in, when I started i was 77.2kg now I am 78kg, an increase of 1.7 lb. To be honest this was much more than i expected but seeing as I have been doing a clean bulk and my muscles have been deconditioned for awhile I think this is good. I am going to purchase body fat calipers this week so I will have a better indication of what I am (at the moment I think I am 15% but not totally sure)

Ok its been awhile since I have updated my progress i blame that on a lack of time and also the hackers on this page. Anyway just finished my first workout of 10s and it all went very well. I am very impressed with my strength progress so far, 2 weeks ago i was struggling to do 6 chin ups now i can do 2 sets of 10 chin ups which is a real motivational booster for me. todays workout was as follows:

Chin ups 10 reps 2 sets
Sumo dead lift 10 reps 2 sets 50kg (bar weighs 6kg)
Military press 10 reps at 34kg 2 sets (bar 6kg)
Weighted crunch 10reps 2 sets bw + 10kg
Upright row 10 reps 2 sets 11kg
BB tricep extension 10 reps 2 sets 31kg (6kg bar)
DB chest press 10 reps 2 sets 15kg ( I adjusted this weight dramatically as on the last 15 workout i did not feel this was close to my max)
BB bicep curl 10 rep 2 sets 31kg (6kg bar)
calf raises one leg 2 sets bw+11kg
pushups 10 reps 2 sets bw
On the last set o also did 5 wide, normal and narrow pushups

I have also received my body fat calipers today and I have used them and it says I am above 15% closer to 17% but I am also taking Grunts advice as well and using this information along with tape measure recordings, this i have done in the beginning so I know how I'm doing. I also am relying on the good old fashioned mirror and I gotta say I'm coming along nicely :p anyway tomorrow is when I weigh myself so I will post the weight for this week here. I have tweaked my diet a little bit so I'm hoping not to increase so much in weight like last week.

weigh in time my weight last week was 88kg now at 88.6kg which is a bit better than last week, anyway lets see what I can do this week.

finished workout 2 of the 10's last night:

Chin ups 10 reps 1 sets (wanted to do 2 but bad rain stopped the first)
Sumo dead lift 10 reps 2 sets 53kg (bar weighs 6kg)
Military press 10 reps at 36kg 2 sets (bar 6kg)
Upright row 10 reps 2 sets 11kg
BB tricep extension 10 reps 2 sets 31kg (6kg bar)
DB chest press 10 reps 2 sets 17kg
BB bicep curl 10 rep 2 sets 31kg (6kg bar)
calf raises one leg 1 set bw+11kg 2nd set bw + 20kg (this is the heaviest i can hold as I dont have much equipment felt good though)
On the last set I also did 5 wide, normal and narrow pushups

Workout went well my body seems to be coping good with the stress of the frequency of workouts I have been sleeping 7-8 hours eating right and taking multivitamins which are helping and my increases in weight are mainly muscle mass which is excellent. Over all I have improved in strength and have noticed a small size increase on my arms and its only the 3rd week! Cant wait to get into the 5 reps though but for now baby steps will do me just fine :)

workout 3 of 10s:

Chin ups 10 reps 2 sets
Sumo dead lift 10 reps 2 sets 55kg (bar weighs 6kg)
Military press 10 reps at 38kg 2 sets (bar 6kg)
Upright row 10 reps 2 sets 12.5kg
BB tricep extension 10 reps 2 sets 33kg (6kg bar)
DB chest press 10 reps 2 sets 19.5kg
BB bicep curl 10 rep 2 sets 33kg (6kg bar)
calf raises one leg 2 sets bw + 20kg

good workout on the last sets I slowed down the tempo utilizing more tension on the muscles as I have a 2 day break.

last night did my workout:

Chin ups 10 reps 2 sets
Sumo dead lift 10 reps 2 sets 58kg (bar weighs 6kg)
Military press 10 reps at 40kg 2 sets (bar 6kg)
Upright row 10 reps 2 sets 12.5kg
BB tricep extension 10 reps 2 sets 36kg (6kg bar)
DB chest press 10 reps 2 sets 19.5kg
BB bicep curl 10 rep 2 sets 36kg (6kg bar)

weigh in this week and I am up to 79.2kg which is good because im growing in muscle and not so much fat as I have been checking each week with tape measure , calipers and the trusty mirror. The bad news however it that the new suit I bought a month and a half ago for a party is becoming too tight around my arms!! arrgghh! At this rate i will have to buy new bigger ones which will mean more money being spent. But I gotta love hst on results so far, definitely gonna see it through.

Great to hear you are getting results.

HST should offer discounts for shopping for new cloths. I’ve already had to replace all my medium size T-shirts with large because they got too tight. Near the end of my last bulking cycle I came close to having to buy some “fat” jeans because my legs aren’t fitting in them anymore.

Cheers,
Dean

Great to hear you are getting results.

HST should offer discounts for shopping for new cloths. I’ve already had to replace all my medium size T-shirts with large because they got too tight. Near the end of my last bulking cycle I came close to having to buy some “fat” jeans because my legs aren’t fitting in them anymore.

Cheers,
Dean

Haha, no doubt. I was wearing medium shirts and size 32 pants when I first started HST a long time ago. Now XL shirts are snug and I have to wear size 36 pants with a belt.

Good to hear about the results fogger.

The discount would definitly help out seeing as this is only week 4 of hst for me lol I mean by looking at my wrists size I have female like size ( I'm talking 6.5 inches) but when it comes to my arm size I'm 13.5 inches after a workout and a bit bigger than 12.5 inches with no workout routines but now it's looking to be more around the 13 inch size. P.s I must appologise for the quality of my forum posts, not my finest or most descriptive pieces of litterature but when I usually write them it's straight after my workout and all the blood has left my brain and is trying to provide it to my muscles lol. Thanks for the support as well guys :)

Last edited:
Forgot to Mention that this week will be a hard week for a clean bulk as it was my brothers birthday 2 days ago, my 21st is tomorrow and I have an engagement party on Saturday.

Congratulations on the progress! Keep hitting it hard and stay within the guidelines of HST and you should see some great gains.

Thankyou sir riccus. Just a minor hiccup in my training routine I was too busy with birthday plans that I was unable to train on Friday meaning I couldn't finish my 10s workout and will have to finish it tomorrow, I hope this won't hinder my progress too much. Also this week has been crap for a clean bulk I mean I do not consider cake anywhere close to being clean in terms of bulking. As most of the food over the weekend was junk food I did my best to consume close enough to my maintenance calorie figure to avoid excess weight coming from mostly saturated fats and alcohol. Next week will be hard as I am celebrating with friends (planning on drinking) so hopefully by the end of next week life will be normal and my hst can have my 100% effort.

Weighed my yesterday and I'm now 79.5kg which i am happy with as the weekend was not very healthy for me so little weight gain is excellent. As for my workouts Im to finish my 10s tonight or tomorrow night and then start my 5s on Monday and continue with 3 workouts a week (M/W/F) the past 2 weeks were a bit slack due to parties but I'm going to make up for it on my 5s and 2s.

Ok after a week of partying and not exactly healthy eating I am back :) weigh in today was 79.2, 300grams less than last week but I am ok with it as I was not keeping much attention to the calories I consumed. My workout on monday:
Chin ups 5 reps 3 sets ( I am now using my oppisite grip when doing these to make it harder during the 5's)
Sumo dead lift 5 reps 3 sets 58kg (bar weighs 6kg)
Military press 5 reps at 40kg 3 sets (bar 6kg)
Weighted crunch 20reps 3 sets bw + 5kg
Upright row 10 reps 3 sets 12.5kg
BB tricep extension 5 reps 3 sets 36kg (6kg bar)
DB chest press 5 reps 3 sets 19.5kg
10 pushups after db chest press to really feel the burn.
BB bicep curl 5 rep 3 sets 36kg (6kg bar)
pushups 10 reps 3 sets bw

Slight things I have come to realize during my first hst cycle. I will now be checking my maxes manually and not just doing the 10's and calculating the rest. The reason is because before this workout my brother dared me to lift 58kg (127.8 lb) once using my bicep barbell curl exercises I thought I wouldnt be able to do it but I surpassed my expectations and did it once! now according to that data alone my max for my 5 reps should be higher than what it is so because of that I opening fact after my sd week I will use the next week to test my maxes for ALL rep ranges. anyway thats it from me so far till next time.

Looking good foggers! I noticed that you have BB tri ext. listed before DB Bench Press and military press before both. Is this the order in which yoiu perform them? The reason I ask is that in general it is better to perform these in a largest muscle group to smallest fashion. Ideally it would be Chest, Delts then tri's so that the delts and tri's are not prefatigued for your chest movement. I'm sorry if I missed something in an earlier post about your routine, but I find this order to be more effective

Keep in mind that even if you find your “true” maxes by the time you get to them you will likely be stronger and still be able to lift more.

Back