Good Carbs?

Calorically dense, low GI food choices?

To continue: here's my question.... Can one bulk up using just low GI carbs? I am trying to avoid most sugars, yet bulk. It seems to me one has to just eat a truckload of low GI carbs, which is very difficult to get the calories.

Looking for any suggestions for calorically dense, low GI food choices, beyond fats/proteins ...! Anyone?

I bulked up 30 lbs. in about 7 months with a high proportion of muscle to fat with most of my carbs coming from low GI foods like oats. The only time I ate or eat high GI carbs is immediately post workout, or sometimes during the workout in the form of Gatorade.

I’ll check out the link later when I have time but I recently read something that sounds like it supports what it’s saying that ketosis doesn’t help. It also said that no or very low carbs at was likely to be more catabolic than a diet with carbs since muscle protein synthesis requires a lot of energy. If I can find the like to what I read I will post it.

The way I get enough calories and include about 35-40 % low GI carbs is to drink several shakes a day.

Low GI Calorie Dense

Thanks for the reply. I guess it then depends what goes into the shake!

I think I found some examples I was looking for from another website. For those that are interested:

"A GL of < 11 is considered low, but unlike GI the GL will increase if you eat more than a standard serving.
•Barley (boiled) - GI: 25, GL: 11, Carbs: 42g, Serving Size: 1 cup
•Peanuts - GI: 14, GL: 1, Carbs: 6g, Serving Size: 1 oz
•Cashews - GI: 22, GL: 2, Carbs: 9g, Serving Size: 1 oz
•Lentils - GI: 29, GL: 5, Carbs: 18g, Serving Size: 1 cup
•Skim Milk - GI: 32, GL: 4, Carbs: 13g, Serving Size: 8 oz
•Whole Milk - GI: 27, GL: 3, Carbs: 13g, Serving Size: 8 oz
Most likely, the fat in whole milk helps slow down the absorption of sugars, resulting in a lower GI and GL.
•Kidney Beans - GI: 28, GL: 7, Carbs: 25g, Serving Size: 1 cup
Note that most beans (navy, lima, pinto, kidney, etc.) are very similar from this perspective.
•Rye Bread - GI: 41, GL: 5, Carbs: 12g, Serving Size: 1 large slice"

http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/1771/high-carb-calorically-dense-low-glycemic-index-gi

Any other suggestions anyone?

Back