Green Tea

Ruthenian

I am doing a cut and recently experienced a dramatic downturn in weight loss -- from about 1.5 lbs per week to about 0.5.  I suspect the metabolic slowdown is kicking in and am looking for some supplemental help.  Studies suggest that green tea ECGC extract can help with fat loss.  Anybody tried a tea-ECGC/caffeine stack for this?  Any noticeable results?

Caffeine or another stimulant could help... if you are sure that you are still creating a large enough calorie deficit, then you may want to take a week or so at maintenance calories to get your metabolism back up, then start cutting again.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you may want to take a week or so at maintenance calories to get your metabolism back up, then start cutting again.</div>
Good idea.  As I wasn't loosing too much anyway, I was thinking of going up a bit just to see what happened.  Plus, I am beginning to think I may be running too much of a deficit.  Hadn't thought of using it as a temporary move to re-boost metabolism.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Green Tea Extract and ALCAR are a very good combo</div>
Have been using regular carnitine and considering ALCAR for other reasons.  I'll probably try Tot's suggesting and may throw this at it (+ caffeine, maybe) when I ramp calories back down.

Good ideas guys -- thanks.  
smile.gif

haven't used it, but I saw it's 1/2 off at Vitamin Shoppe all month. if you wanted to give it a go, could be a cheap way to try it.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Green Tea Extract and ALCAR are a very good combo</div>

I have been thinking on this.  ALCAR has some advantages in terms of acetyl group contribution, but I am not sure that it would be more effective for fat metabolism, other than, perhaps, faster absorption.

Do you know if there is any reason to use ALCAR over regular l-carnitine for this purpose?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why use carnitine?It`s crap... </div>
For one, I am a total vegetarian and only get low levels in my diet -- just trying it out to see if it adds anything.  I am aware that many studies (not all) have shown no increase in athletic performance, but it appears that most of these were aimed at athletes (mixed results) or people with disease states (often helps) -- nothing on those with vegan diets that I am aware of.

For two, it is involved in transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria for energy and, thus, could theoretically assist in fat burning.  As I had started supplementation anyway, at most I might just add a bit more for this effect.

If you know otherwise, please provide links and/or information.

Back