Grey Hair and Muscles

quadancer

I really wonder (since we don't have an over 40 forum) just how many of us are in or entering the "Grey Hair and Muscle" club? Some are obvious, like O&G, but the point of the query is two-sided.
There is, of course, a double honor for you guys staying the course as your counterparts drop off to the couches, and you become the guy everyone stares at when you enter a room. (some of the blobs get stared at, but for different reasons.)
But we also share different problems from our younger members in that with lowered hormones, collective injuries, slower recuperative times, less sleep and the like, we have to think and train a little differently.
So come on guys, raise a hand and be counted! Who's made the long haul?

I'll be 50 in May, but only have a little bit of grey so far.  I've got plenty of other age-related issues to deal with.  My plan (never stated publicly before) is to have some physique oriented photos taken on my 50th.  I've been lifting for about 37 years ... There is hope, Quad! :)

I'm not quite as old as you guys but I will be 39 in June. And my wife keeps reminding my that my hair is getting more and more grey. I also wouldn't say I have made the "long haul" because I went many years without lifting and just recently started again a year and a half ago or so.

But I plan on keeping at it until I can no longer physically do so. Which will hopefully be for many, many years.

Biologically, I'm 40, so I guess I belong here. Now, if you're talking about the mental age, I don't think I will ever reach 18. As some of my students say, "You're more one of us than a teacher". I like that ...

I'll be 56 on Feb 2nd. I work with 3 other guys ranging in age from 53 to 60 and I'm in much better shape than they are. The youngest, unfortunately, has rheumatoid arthritis which is a debilitating disease, but the other 2 are just fat and out of shape. Their idea of exercise is walking to the bus stop at a snails pace. I can truthfully say that I don't feel 56, except for the occasional aches and pains usually brought on by some exercise.
sad.gif

Older powerlifters may have gray or thinning hair, wrinkles, glasses, or hearing aids. However, none of these conditions adversely affects the muscles or the strength-gaining capacity of the muscles. Their worst problem is the well-meaning people who tell them to take it easy and make excuses for them when they fail.

People are told that it takes elderly people (whatever that age is) longer to recover from a set, workout, and injury. However, this is true only if you are not conditioned for a hard workout. This is also true for poorly conditioned young people - it has nothing to do with age. These myths are built on lack of knowledge about the capabilities of elderly people. Personal trainers and doctors usually play it safe and tell their clients and patients what they have heard other people say - to take it easy.

All the recent research indicates that muscle tissue of older people responds the same to training as muscle tissue of young people. Also, injured muscle tissue in an older person will heal at the same rate as muscle tissue in a younger person if the treatment and rehabilitation are the same.

We should quit babying elderly people and encourage them to push their limits. Don’t caution them any more than you would caution a young person. Who decides the point in a person’s life when they become elderly? Is it 40, 50, 60, or what? We have all seen 40-year-olds who look and act old, and we have seen 70-year-olds who look and act young. If a person’s only "disease" is age, that person should not be encouraged to take it easy.

If you are in this category and people try to get you to slow down, stay away from them. Although these people mean well, they are not doing you any favors.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jan. 21 2008,13:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">We should quit babying elderly people and encourage them to push their limits. Don’t caution them any more than you would caution a young person. Who decides the point in a person’s life when they become elderly? Is it 40, 50, 60, or what? We have all seen 40-year-olds who look and act old, and we have seen 70-year-olds who look and act young. If a person’s only &quot;disease&quot; is age, that person should not be encouraged to take it easy.

If you are in this category and people try to get you to slow down, stay away from them. Although these people mean well, they are not doing you any favors.</div>
If you ever work out in my gym you won't be treated softly! I'll be pushing you and competing with you old man! As a fellow Korte's program survivor I know you are tough as nails 'cause I went through it also (in my 20s!).
cool.gif

I agree with TR's sentiments about age. The major issue with exercise is the heart, and how they respond to exercise is dependent upon their conditioning.

The average beginning lifter, be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, or whatever, doesn’t even have 50% of my discipline. I’ve seen them come and go. From the time when I started, 18 months ago, I’m the only one still lifting. I guess it’s because I have never found an excuse not to go but I could give you one different reason every day to go.

40 is the new 27.
I´m 42 with the heart of a 25 year old, 9% Body fat.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Jan. 21 2008,15:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess it’s because I have never found an excuse not to go but I could give you one different reason every day to go.</div>
You da man!!!

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I'm 54 with a pacemaker, and a 30+year history of back trouble, now gone for the most part thanx to deads and squats.
BE, all that you can be!

I'll be 39 this May. no chronic conditions to deal w/, &amp; grateful for all that lifting's given me.

I'll be 55 this April. Been training, not always effectively, for over 25 years. Hair is gray because I'm a father of 5 and grand father of 4( so far) - not because I'm old!
biggrin.gif

Firm

<div>
(Firminator @ Jan. 24 2008,15:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'll be 55 this April. Been training, not always effectively, for over 25 years. Hair is gray because I'm a father of 5 and grand father of 4( so far) - not because I'm old!
biggrin.gif

Firm</div>
Wow Firminator, I didn't think you were still visiting the HST forum!

Turned 40 in July. Been sober and working out consistently for 3 years. Found this site right around my birthday- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

You guys are all an inspiration to the younger and older folks here alike. I'm 43 this year and will have been training for about 2.5 years by then. I don't have many grey hairs yet but it is starting to thin.

Having just returned from a short break where swimming is 'the' thing to do, I can safely say that I was in better shape than around 90% of the folks there, in all age groups - and that's without cutting! It's really a shame that so many youngsters seem to be overweight. It would be terrific if the likes of Sony could figure out a way to get the youngsters involved in much more physical gaming and get these kids off their butts and active whilst still enjoying themselves.

Rodney: that's great to hear. I hope you will post some contest pics after the event. All the best mate.

As expected, no posts here from any ladies. I would love to see more women (of all ages) involved in lifting. If there is a contingent of female members here they are keeping very quiet. I recall only a couple posting a comment over the last few years.

Anyway, as well as my personal goals, I have the Quadman to keep me on my toes so, as long as I am able, I'll be hauling my sorry ass off the chair and getting back under the bar again, and again, and again...

That's right you young pup...I'm heading into my gym and putting your picture on my wall by the rack...way down by the baseboards where I can keep squashing and crushing and destroying...
laugh.gif

Hey, how in heck am I gonna ever get my squats up there with yours? This is embarrassing! (355's last max)
edit: 365 today!

Back