grip alternation on certain compounds

beingisbeing

For chins, bent over rows, and close grip bench presses, I always kind of freak myself out that I'm not getting the full "hit" from the exercise if I don't use all the grips. This can lead to excess volume at times, though I seem to have really high exercise tolerance and have never really fallen into overtraining.

So for example, am I better doing chins (reverse grip) all the way through a cycle with ONE grip, or if I'm planning on doing three sets anyway, would it hurt to do one reverse, one pronated, and one neutral?

Same for bent over rows (narrow reverse, narrow pronated, wide pronated)?

On a related note, given that I have really skimpy forearms, I do something similar with my biceps routines. would it be counter productive to split the three biceps sets of a WO day up, into barbell curls/hammer curls/reverse barbell curls?

Or am I better off using 3 sets for one exercise per cycle?

Counterproductive to maximum hypertrophy I mean...

just stick to one grip through the cycle if you want to change it next cycle change it,read the FAQs ther are some Q&As on angles and grips.

If you like, two grips w&n, would be more effective than a lot of mixed. You would lose power with too much volume and be less effective.

I do chins with supinated grip and rows with overhand/pronated grip so I got them both covered. Different grips usually mean different weights if keep changing grips you might end up normalizing the weight to the weakest grip.

all good points!

Quad I def notice power going to the dumps. Primarily why I broached the issue. Good point!

Electric, thats a really obvious, but good idea. I feel pretty dumb now lol. problem solved
smile.gif

Back