Help me with pre post w/o

boggy

I start w/o about at 18.30-19.00, about 1 hour and an half before I have 300ml nofat milk,20g. milk protein,1tbs oil.
What should I take for pre and post w/o if I'm trying to bulk?

(I suffer of IBS so I cant eat a lot of things including fruits without having gut troubles,and on working days I try to avoid all the foods that can irritate my intestine otherwise I cant train at 100%)

1)Would fructose+maltodextrins+isolate whey be a good choice for the pre? And glucose+iso whey for the post?

2)Also should I have pre w/o(containing proteins) just a few minutes before lifting or say 15-20 min before?

3)Can u also give me an idea about how much carbo and prot given that i weight 64Kg?

Thanx a lot guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What should I take for pre and post w/o if I'm trying to bulk?

pre- 15g maltodextrin + 20g whey about 10-30mins before workout (i doubt the exact timing makes any difference)
post- 65g maltodextrin + 20g whey taken immedeately after your workout.

then eat a full solid meal 1hour later. It doesnt have to be exceptionally huge or anything. just a regular complete meal (one that you can handle with your IBS).

avoid the fructose. you dont need it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I start w/o about at 18.30-19.00, about 1 hour and an half before I have 300ml nofat milk,20g. milk protein,1tbs oil.

its up to you if you want to include that, but you dont really need it (unless its because of your IBS or something). a regular meal about 2-3hrs before the workout would do the job (perhaps even better)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]pre- 15g maltodextrin + 20g whey about 10-30mins before workout (i doubt the exact timing makes any difference)

maltodextrins 30 min before wont raise insulin too much being them HGI carbs?
I asked about the timing because I know that HGI carbs a while before working out can rise blood glucose quickly and bring it down even faster a little after causing poor performance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]its up to you if you want to include that, but you dont really need it (unless its because of your IBS or something). a regular meal about 2-3hrs before the workout would do the job (perhaps even better)

The problem is that I have lunch around 13.30 and so between lunch and w/o are 5 hours,a bit too much without food I think isnt it?

Dear Boggy,

An aside perhaps but if I might be so bold, what is the cause for your IBS? Spicy food? Aspirin? How long have you had it? Any other symptoms that accompany such discomfort? Constipation? Blood?

Interestingly, a fibrous, bulky diet is not the best way to go, IBS or otherwise. Faecal bulk will give rise to haemmorhoids, believe it or not. The greater the bulk, the greater the stretch and thus, the greater the strain.

The best would be non-bulky yet smooth transition type waste removal. This is best accomplished with the intake of fish oils, sugar alcohols (the type you find in sugar-free gum... it does have a laxative effect without adding bulk to waste) ample water and also, regular exercise. Regular exercise appears to upregulate gastric motility regardless of hydration and dietary fibre intake status. Strain with crunches, or strain on the throne I suppose...

Your pre-workout nutrition can comprise of pure protein alone. The carbohydrates can be added but note that with exercise, your GLUT 4 transporters are activated sans insulin and in this way, facilitating uptake of amino acids. I'd drop the carbs in total and simply have 30g protein from whey with water a half hour prior to working out.

Five hours is indeed a long time to be bereft of food. You might wish to snack on something solid. Then, a half hour before working out, take that protein shake. Post workout, I'd have the milk with additional protein powder. I'd even fortify my post-workout shake with natural peanut butter, flax seed, thickened cream and/or ice-cream to add calories, depending on your idea of "bulking". Blend it all up into a thick shake. Of course, if you have a solid meal waiting for you post-workout, then by all means indulge yourself and drop the liquid nutrition.

For your IBS, you might wish to try L-Glutamine. It's good for GI health and 20gm a day for a month or so might be all it takes to eliminate yourself from IBS. A proven probiotic drink like Yakult can also improve GI health so this is something you might also wish to consider.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]activated sans insulin
in english please. this sentence is confusing me. you are saying that GLUT4 transporters are activated without or without insulin? what is sans supposed to mean!!!
anyway, so what? why do you think that this matters? you think that by including sugar in your workout drink, you are going to prevent aminoacid uptake or something? i seriously doubt that! If you know something i dont, please correct me.
since the priority usage of calories immediately after training is glycogen replenishment, would carb intake not be sensible? Is that not the logic behind post workout carbs? do you not agree with the logic? why?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ April 29 2003,3:46)]Interestingly, a fibrous, bulky diet is not the best way to go, IBS or otherwise.
Strange how the majority of the research shows otherwise

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Faecal bulk will give rise to haemmorhoids, believe it or not. The greater the bulk, the greater the stretch and thus, the greater the strain.
Your proof being?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevie @ April 29 2003,4:45)]in english please. this sentence is confusing me. you are saying that GLUT4 transporters are activated without or without insulin? what is sans supposed to mean!!!
Without insulin is what he means.

Insulin will translocate the glut4's to the surface of the cell, so will exercise

so all it meant was sugar is not required for amino acid uptake. ok got it.
but what about the huge demand for calories to replenish glycogen? surely if the aim is to gain, then it would be wise to include carbs in workout shakes? would it not?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevie @ April 29 2003,8:08)]so all it meant was sugar is not required for amino acid uptake. ok got it.
but what about the huge demand for calories to replenish glycogen? surely if the aim is to gain, then it would be wise to include carbs in workout shakes? would it not?
Oh yeah. If you are only interested in gaining, you should add carbs to your pre-& post-workout drinks. I would suggest 20-40 grams before, and anywhere from 20-75 grams after depending on what type of workout you just did and how big you are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ibanez @ May 05 2003,3:14)]Would a bowl of oatmeal be good pre-workout?
It would be better post-workout. Try liquids pre-& mid-workout. You can always drink your protein drink before, and then sip a carb drink while you train.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ May 05 2003,5:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ibanez @ May 05 2003,3:14)]Would a bowl of oatmeal be good pre-workout?
It would be better post-workout. Try liquids pre-& mid-workout. You can always drink your protein drink before, and then sip a carb drink while you train.
What's a good pre-workout liquid then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ibanez, Posted on May 05 2003,2:14
Would a bowl of oatmeal be good pre-workout?

No, try fruit or a protein bar for pre-workout "food"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ibanez Posted on May 05 2003,2:59
What's a good pre-workout liquid then?

Whey protein powder (like [/URL]Primer )

Have you read this article ??

Pre / Post

I think that I will go with a solid easy digest pre 1 hour before
(egg whites/cottage apples orange juice) and 10-15g whey a few minutes before starting (IMO just for mental conditioning).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ April 28 2003,11:46)]Faecal bulk will give rise to haemmorhoids, believe it or not. The greater the bulk, the greater the stretch and thus, the greater the strain.
You give a lot of great info, but you got this one backwards.

Fecal bulk by way of indigestible fiber does not increase strain or cause hemorrhoids. Yes, fiber increases the bulk, but it makes for a loose and mobile stool. A movement heavy in fiber requires no strain; you relax, and it goes.

Lack of fiber and the resultant constipating effect causes much greater strain in a movement, even though the bulk is smaller. You sit and squeeze to get out the small stools.

That straining is associated with hemorrhoids and also with the development of varicose veins. The squeezing and resultant pressure force blood down the veins in the legs, stressing the valves in the veins.

Just a comment for everyone about bowel problems. If you are having intestinal problems for most people in the western world it comes from eating the wrong types of foods (basically dead foods, anything cooked). To solve and deal with the problem in modern day I have been using and would highly recommend the following:

Most problems are associated with food allergies that people do not know they have because they cannot feel what their body is telling them because of the excess fecal matter deposited on the inside of their intestinal tract. The average American is carrying around 10lbs of the extra stuff.

So if you are a bodybuilder (which means eating a lot) you should be having 3-6 bowel movements a day. If you are not where is all that food going? Don't think it is all turinng into muscle.

The first step is to start eating your vegetables raw. Raw veggies and fruits contain their own enzymes to aid digestion. I have also found that my bodyfat stays below 10% year round when I eat a lot of these veggies for my carb sources. So it works out great for a bodybuilders.

Next you need to clean yourself out and also re-train the colon to contract (peristalic movements) because since most people have so much fecal matter deposited on the inside of their colon the muscle becomes stretched and cannot contract correctly. For this I recommend Dr. Schultz's Intestinal Cleasner #1. It is a mix of natural herbs that stimulates your colon that you can take for a month a year or forever. You can find it and read about it at www.herbfirst.com if you go to the website then check out products and you will find it labeled as "Dr. Schultz's formulas with the Christopher label and it is under "Quick Colon Formula #1 (Intestinal Corrective #1)."

After you clean yourself out you will then be able to better identify the foods that your body has a specific reaction to and then eliminate them.

For further reading on getting your insides to look and function as well as your outside check out the following

http://www.curezone.com/schulze/default.asp

Remember: you aren't what your eat, you are what you assimilate!!

Can you provide a peer reviewed reference for that information, or are you relying on the information provided on a site selling it?

Sure, check out the colon hydrotherapy international group. http://www.i-act.org/
Look for any information by Christopher Guerriero "Maxamize your Metabolism"
You can also look at Life Extentsion online http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-038.shtml and read through their description of digestive health. They recommend a product "Digest RC" which is popular in europe that contains many of the same ingredients. I use the one mentioned above because my MD recommened it.

Both links you provided show NO references at all. All the LEF site does is provide a sales pitch for a pile of products they sell, with no scientific evidence or at least referencing in the article.

Back