How to shrug

ajntorinj

As I was working out yesterday, I made a change to the way I performed shrugs. I am not particularly pleased with my trap development, so I thought I might have been performing the movement wrong. Previously, I would merely hold the bar and draw my shoulders up as far as they would go. This last time, I drew my shoulders back, sticking out my chest. I maintained this position and peformed the shrug this way. When looking in a mirror while doing the two movements, I saw that the first method resulted in my shoulders moving up and forward, as if they were rolling. With the second, they went straight-up and down and the lift looked to be proper. Just to clarify, is the first or second the correct form? Thanks.

aj,

The upper traps are attached to the top of your shoulders and to the back of your head. With few exceptions, the best way to hit a targeted muscle is to draw the two attachments together in a controlled manner against resistance.

You really have figured it out for yourself!
thumbs-up.gif
Not only will your "new" technique hit the traps better, but you are much less likely to get complaints from your neck and shoulders... the less rolling around those shoulders do the better.

Kate

You may find it easier with a SLIGHT forward lean from the hips (keep the back very straight or arched.)

Along this same topic, is there a particular advantage to doing BB shrugs as opposed to DBs? I rather prefer the motion of the DBs but alternate them with DBs.

Thanks,
Randy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Randy @ June 01 2003,4:30)]Along this same topic, is there a particular advantage to doing BB shrugs as opposed to DBs? I rather prefer the motion of the DBs but alternate them with DBs.
Thanks,
Randy
Randy,
I asked Kate the vary same question about a week ago, because my gym lacks dbl's which are heavy enough. I've found that with proper form doing shurgs using a bar (or smith in my case) actually feels better on my shoulders.
PPP

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I want to mention the progress I've seen. It's only been a bit more than a week since I began doing shrugs properly, but they are almost literally growing before my eyes. It's amazing, especially for me; I have had protruding collar bones for as long as I can recall. When I look in the mirror, I feel like a school girl finally getting breasts...or something. Thanks Kate and you too, Edziu. Your leaning tip eliminates the added resistance caused by my 'training partner' at the bottom of the rep and allows for better form overall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I feel like a school girl finally getting breasts...or something

HAHAAHH!!! Everybody says "lol" but I literally laughed at the screen...that never happens!

Back