HST Myp Reps

DanAus

* Obviously a spelling error in thread title - should be Myo Reps - don't know how to fix it *

Thur 7/4/11 - 15's

Bench
70kg-12 (+3/3/3/2/2) 13
Started too high

Leg Press
160kg-15 (+4/4/4/4/4) 20

BTN Seated Press
30kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

Standing Calf
110kg-15 (+5/5/5) 15

Pullover Press
20kg-15 (+5/5/5) 15

Last edited:
Fri 8/4/11- 15's

Rack Pull / Power Shrug
N/A - Back twinge on warm up

Lat Pull Down
40kg-15 (+ 4/4/4/4) 16

GHR
BW-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

T-Bar Row
50kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

CG Preacher Curl
20kg-20 (+5/5/5) 15

Last edited:
Wed 13/4/11 - 15's

Bench
60kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

Leg Press
165kg-15 (+5/5/5) 15

BTN Seated Press
32.5kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

Standing Calf
N/A - Calf strain

Pullover Press
22.5kg-15 (+5/5/5) 15

Hey Dan, nice to see someone else doing straight Myo-reps. I played around with them last cycle and started a new cycle doing straight Myo-reps by the book starting from 50% of my 1RM. Today will be my 4th workout and they are kicking my ass. How they feeling to you?

Hey grunt, early days, but so far I am enjoying the style of training. I am doing this a little off the cuff, I haven't bothered getting my maxes etc, but I will adjust as I go and if results are good, I am sure the 2nd cycle will run alot smoother. Going to run a 15/12/8/5 rep cycle and see where it takes me. Any advice you may have for me I will appreciate and I'll have a look and see if you are running a log and if so follow with interest. Good luck with your training!

I did a little off the cuff Myo-rep stuff last cycle to get the feel for it. I liked it so I figured I do a full on Myo-rep cycle this time. At this point I can’t say I recommend starting at the 50% range maybe I’ll change my mind if after the first 2-4 weeks in the high rep range I see some gains but right now it just plain sucks.

My advice so far is to do the reps they way suggested. Explosive concentric and slow 2-3 second eccentric. I time my eccentric by lowering while taking 2.5 deep breaths so I can exhale when I reach the bottom. It’s brutal but I can really feel it working my muscles.

Also, if you’re not already you might want to up your post workout carbohydrates since this is burning a lot more energy than with the 1-3 set range of a normal HST cycle.

Not sure I can add much else right now since today was only the 4th workout of this cycle but if I notice anything else worthwhile I’ll be sure to post it. Keep us up to date on how your cycle is going. Starting with the 15s you’re a few weeks ahead of me in the weight/rep range so I’m interested in how it goes for you.

Cheers,
Dean

Hey Dean, thanks very much for your input.
I chose the 15's to start purely based on past experience where I have not seen benefits in training with higher reps than these. I also wanted to use the Myo Reps within a HST reps framework, as I have had good results with HST in the past.
While I dont time my negatives, I do take them down nice and controlled, and always try for an explosive positive.
Thanks for stopping by and please continue to do so!

Thur 14/4/11 - 15's

Rack Pull / Power Shrug
85kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

CG Pull Down
42.5kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

GHR
N/A

T-Bar Row
52.5kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

CG Preacher Curl
22.5kg-15 (+4/4/4/4) 16

Not going to train calfs or hams until after the 21/4. I have a fitness assessment on that date including beep test, and don't want to risk any injuries before hand.

I chose the 15's to start purely based on past experience where I have not seen benefits in training with higher reps than these. I also wanted to use the Myo Reps within a HST reps framework, as I have had good results with HST in the past.
Sounds like a good plan and it’s what I had originally intended, but I decided to give the Myo-rep system an all out try. No matter how it goes I think if I do it again I will shorten the cycle a bit since 14 week, 15 if I count a week of SD, is a long time. Also I had great results doing a mini-cut for 5 days during my SD and lost 2 lbs of mostly fat. If I could cut 2 lbs of fat every 8-9 weeks during a week to 9 day SD it would put off having to do a full cut a lot longer.

Cheers,
Dean

Friday 15/4/11

Fitness Assessment Test Run

Beep Test - Level 7.5
Sit Ups-40
Push Ups-30

I met all the requirements. The Push Ups were harder than they should have been due to Chest DOMS from Wed's workout, so I will skip all weights now until I do the actual Fitness Assessment Thur 21/4, then back into the program. Fortunantly I have just started so its really a minimal interuption.

Hey Dan, a couple questions if you don’t mind. First is the fitness assessment for the military? And what is a “Beep Test?”

I hate doing my annual fitness test. It’s such a joke.

Hey Dan, a couple questions if you don’t mind. First is the fitness assessment for the military? And what is a “Beep Test?”

I hate doing my annual fitness test. It’s such a joke.

The fitness assessment is for a job application but not for the military. I think the Beep Test is also known as a Shuttle Run? It involves running 20m intervals and arriving before the Beep sounds, the longer the test goes, the less time between beeps.

Level 7.5 is not that difficult, I am not a runner and never have been but basicly was able to run 7.5 after 3 attempts and can run it every time now. My only cardio work is from BJJ classes which I only get to on average once per week, twice at the most, so cardio fitness is not my focus or strong point.

I have had to put the BJJ on hold 7 weeks ago as I injured my ankle ligaments and had to take 5 weeks off running, I only started back running again 2 weeks ago, and I cant risk any more injuries before the assessment, so BJJ on hold until after next week. When I go back its going to be tough...

I am guessing you are in the military? If so, hats off to you. My daughter just discharged from the Australian Navy, we couldn't be prouder of her for serving.

I am guessing you are in the military? If so, hats off to you. My daughter just discharged from the Australian Navy, we couldn't be prouder of her for serving.
Congratulations on your daughter having a successful tour. The Navy at least here isn’t always an easy place for women.

Yes I’m still in the military, seems like forever. I started out in 1979 in the Navy Reserve; went active duty in the Marine Corps; got out and joined the Army National Guard (like the Territorial Force in NZ not sure in AUS) and now I’ve ended up in the Air National Guard. Someday I’ll figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

I was lucky enough to get stationed in Wellington, New Zealand as an embassy guard while I was in the Marine Corps, and spent about a year and a half there. The only parts of Australia I saw were Canberra, Dee Why and Narrabeen. Gotta say the local surfers were a lot more aggressive in Australia than New Zealand.

One cool thing about being stationed there is I can tell the difference between an Kiwi and Aussie accent not something most in the U.S.A. have a clue about.

Cheers,
Dean

Last edited:
Sounds like you would have a few stories to tell. Funny you mention Narrabeen, I've never been there before but that is where I will be doing my fitness assessment next Tuesday - small world. I can't wait for it to be over so I can return to weights, BJJ, and a cold beer watching the football.

[FONT=&quot]Sounds like you would have a few stories to tell.[/FONT]
Quite a few stories actually. Reminds me of how I use to tell them to a boss I had about 15 years ago. I just told him stuff and never thought much about it. Then one day we were out eating lunch and ran into another former Marine from one of our competitors who sat down to eat with us. Naturally he and I started swapping Marine Corps stories. After awhile my boss finally stopped us looked at me and said “You mean all those stories you’ve told me are true?” I told him that not only were they true but I hadn’t told him everything because I didn’t expect he would believe some of them. Turns out he hadn’t been believing them anyway.

Well good luck on your fitness assessment. I’m lucky that my annual assessment is so easy I could do it in the heavy part of a cycle and not have to worry about it.

Quite a few stories actually. Reminds me of how I use to tell them to a boss I had about 15 years ago. I just told him stuff and never thought much about it. Then one day we were out eating lunch and ran into another former Marine from one of our competitors who sat down to eat with us. Naturally he and I started swapping Marine Corps stories. After awhile my boss finally stopped us looked at me and said “You mean all those stories you’ve told me are true?” I told him that not only were they true but I hadn’t told him everything because I didn’t expect he would believe some of them. Turns out he hadn’t been believing them anyway.

Well good luck on your fitness assessment. I’m lucky that my annual assessment is so easy I could do it in the heavy part of a cycle and not have to worry about it.

Nothing like a true story - and I don't even care if there are some minor embellishments for the sake of entertainment :)

My fitness assessment would probably not be considered difficult by a "fit" person, but I am taking no chances. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll be back liftin again in no time.

hey mate welcome to the forum! i'm from sydney too. in london atm but moving back to oz in july. i remember having to do the beep test for my old rugy league team. they suck big time!

anyway good luck with HST.

hey mate welcome to the forum! i'm from sydney too. in london atm but moving back to oz in july. i remember having to do the beep test for my old rugy league team. they suck big time!

anyway good luck with HST.

Hey mate, the Beep test will never be a favourite thing of mine that is for sure! Living in Europe / Uk would be nice, but it is nice to come home too. Thanks for the well wishes and drop by again!

Thur 21/4/11

Fitness Assessment

Grip Strength tests
Various Ab Strength Tests
40 Push Ups
40 Sit Ups
Level 8 Beep Test

Passed & done - now back to normal training!

Back