HST/Wernbom Experiment

Sci

I have been itching to try this for awhile. At 197 and sub-12% bodyfat, I have pretty much given up on cutting further and want to see some more hypertrophy.

Based on the Wernbom meta-analysis and it's recommendations of 30-60 total reps of volume per session per BODYPART, and 2-3 times per week being the ideal for hypertrophy, utilizing typical HST loading protocols of 5-15 rep ranges.

HST 2.0
Upper/Lower
3x10

Upper
Reverse Pulldown
Decline Bench
WG Cable Row
Military Press

Lower
DeadLift
Hack Squat
Standing Calf
Seated Calf

Emphasis on back and calves as specialization parts, as they are my main weaknesses. The other compounds cover everything else getting decent volume.
I skipped any direct arm work as my long arms get destroyed by compound lifts. Decline bench is an awesome tricep exercise, and reverse Pulldowns are brutal on the biceps as well as the lats.

I actually expect to grow significantly on this program, as my body tends to respond well to decent volume and frequency. Korte's Program gave me stretch marks on my thighs! (5x5 for deads and squats 3x/week at moderate loads... Huge thigh hypertrophy for me on this program. You can do a search for "Korte's Program Log" and my old log might come up in the HST forum archives.

Anyway this new program has that much volume or more for almost the whole body!
I will also probably integrate SD and the HST loading cycle at some point.

If I do, I will do a 2x15, 3x10, 3x8, 4x5, with volume tapering off as loads progress...
I think that deadlifts and hack squats will be plenty of volume for my thighs to handle, hamstrings are already beefy, don't need any leg curls.

I would prefer to see less calves isolation and more squats and posterior chain elements. I strongly believe this is what results in creating the best hypertrophy stimulus for those guys (combination of leverage, load and stretch - with the frequency and volume coming from whatever you're doing for squats and chain movements). Isolation exercises for them tend to involve too much achilles, IMO. Take it for w/e it's worth to try something different. I still rate deadlift as upper rather than lower, though for this program it makes sense to assign it on the lower day. You're going to die with that frequency and volume though, like, actually die. I'll jump on a plan across the peaceful pond, rock up Sci's house and there'll be a sign saying 'RIP, was dead-lifted' :/ ... or something like that. This is one of those times when your 4x5 - RM will be markedly different from your 5RM. Or you'll be taking 10mins in between sets.

Love the look of this program. Are you doing an am/pm split for upper and lower, or are you running everything through in 1 session 3 times per week?

I have started this exact same programme this week during this current cycle (start of the 5s) but with a A/B routine for upper body (A – Flat Bench / Deadlifts / Landmine Press / Barbell Shrugs and B – Military Press / BOR / Incline Bench / Barbell Shrugs (again!!)) and throwing in body weight supinated chins and dips at the end (will drop these if I feel volume is too high) – all done myo-reps style with the balance of the 30 reps for each exercise done in clusters at @ 70% of 1RM – Legs (Rear Squat / Good Mornings / Hack Squat / SLDL / Standing Calf Raises) currently the 30 reps are done traditional style at 8RM loads (Calves 4 x 15 reps). Upper M/W/F and lower T/T/S, everything feels good at the moment, good luck with your routine.

Upper
Reverse Pulldown: 180x10,10,10
Decline Bench: 185x10,10,10
WG Cable Row: 140x10,10,10
Military Press: 80x10,8,7

Traps are destroyed. Kind of scared of leg day! Might have to do squats and leg curls instead of Deadlift and hack squat, to avoid overtraining my traps.

Starting Stats

Starting Stats for the HST/Wernbom experiment. 198 pounds 73" tall Cold measurements 15 7/8" r. Arm 43" at nipple 35.5" at navel 35 1/4" at hips 25" r.thigh 15.5" r. calf

I would prefer to see less calves isolation and more squats and posterior chain elements. I strongly believe this is what results in creating the best hypertrophy stimulus for those guys (combination of leverage, load and stretch - with the frequency and volume coming from whatever you're doing for squats and chain movements). Isolation exercises for them tend to involve too much achilles, IMO. Take it for w/e it's worth to try something different. I still rate deadlift as upper rather than lower, though for this program it makes sense to assign it on the lower day. You're going to die with that frequency and volume though, like, actually die. I'll jump on a plan across the peaceful pond, rock up Sci's house and there'll be a sign saying 'RIP, was dead-lifted' :/ ... or something like that. This is one of those times when your 4x5 - RM will be markedly different from your 5RM. Or you'll be taking 10mins in between sets.
I have gotten good results by keeping the calf movements fairly slow, hold at bottom, hold at top, slow negative... Lyle's advice, works great, takes the achilles bounce right out of it! I think my thighs will grow huge from 30 reps for quads and 30 reps for posterior chain... thats brutal enough, and my thighs tend to grow fairly easy. You are right about deadlifts, I will have to change leg day around, to make it more productive for the lower body without killing my CNS with deadlifts.

Love the look of this program. Are you doing an am/pm split for upper and lower, or are you running everything through in 1 session 3 times per week?
Alternating upperbody one day, and lower body the next day, will have rest days inserted sporadically, on as needed basis. I want to keep frequnecy 3x/week, if possible to maximize results.

I would rather do squats and add deads in as rack pulls on upper day. Or alternate squats and deads but progress deads differently than the rest of the program, sorta like what mikey and I were discussing in that one thread that one time. Full deadlifts from the floor really need to be handled differently than other lifts, in my opinion. Although perhaps 15 reps of deads and then 45 of leg press and 45 of something for hams would work too?

I would rather do squats and add deads in as rack pulls on upper day. Or alternate squats and deads but progress deads differently than the rest of the program, sorta like what mikey and I were discussing in that one thread that one time. Full deadlifts from the floor really need to be handled differently than other lifts, in my opinion. Although perhaps 15 reps of deads and then 45 of leg press and 45 of something for hams would work too?
The lower back is the main issue for me. All of this upper/lower split problem could be easily solved by me doing lower back on upper day (rack pulls or barbell rows), and just do hack squats and leg curls on leg day... that seems to be the best solution for me, as I have tried every possible combination in my mind, and that is the only solution that doesn't involve too much crossover of the back muscles on both days. So new program will be: Upper Barbell Rows Decline Bench Reverse Pulldown Military Press Lower Hack Squats Leg Curls Standing calf Seated Calf I am keeping thigh volume less than the recommended 60 reps each, as I don't really want to focus on thigh growth as much as my chest and back this cycle.

The lower back is the main issue for me. All of this upper/lower split problem could be easily solved by me doing lower back on upper day (rack pulls or barbell rows), and just do hack squats and leg curls on leg day... that seems to be the best solution for me, as I have tried every possible combination in my mind, and that is the only solution that doesn't involve too much crossover of the back muscles on both days. So new program will be: Upper Barbell Rows Decline Bench Reverse Pulldown Military Press Lower Hack Squats Leg Curls Standing calf Seated Calf I am keeping thigh volume less than the recommended 60 reps each, as I don't really want to focus on thigh growth as much as my chest and back this cycle.
I feel like Wernbom is basically just recommending doing a 5x5 with different matrices (or not, depending on the load you select). I'm not sure how this gets past the CNS fatigue issue that is going to crop up when you punch in the necessary load and frequency. .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Regarding your lower back concerns; it will get stronger and more durable with use and application. I've experienced similar concerns (some time ago, granted), and it's really just a matter of bringing them up to what's needed. Decline Bench is an interesting choice.

Definite hunger spike for the 24 hours following the Upper workout. ALso, trapezius is tingling and very sore...the wide grip cable rows are amazing for the upper back. Leg Day Hack Squat: 270x10,10,10 Leg Curl: 125x10,10,10 don't like these at all... Romanian DeadLift it will be. Standing Calf: 240x10,10,10 Seated Calf: 90x10,10,10 All machines, all done with a pause at start, explosive concentric, pause at finish then controlled eccentric. ALready excited for upper day again tomorrow. Bulking, with a minor caloric surplus.

This is what I have been doing for the program this week.

HST 2.0
Upper/Lower split every day
3x10 (3 sets of 10 reps per exercise)

Upper
Reverse Pulldown
Decline Bench
WG Cable Row
Military Press

Lower
Romanian SLDL
Leg Press
Standing Calf
Seated Calf

Last edited:
Looks good! I'm planning on doing something similar when I finish my current cycle. Are you going to include full deadlifts in at any point? The version of this I came up with is;

Upper
Bent over row
Bench press
Military press
Deadlift

Lower
Squat
Hack squat
SLDLs
Leg ext

That will probably over train you lower body.

I prefer the template:

Upper
Lats
Chest
Upper back/rear delts
Front delts
Triceps
Biceps

Lower
Quads 1-2 exercises
Hamstrings 1-2 exercises
Calves 1-2 exercises
Abs/lower back stuff

I think squats, deads and possibly sldl is enough for lower body. It's dissimilar to the back, in the sense that your compounds involve all the muscles you want them to, and I find that it's dissimilar to the pushing-upper body group in that there isn't a significant weak link like the triceps that fails before the pecs do.Just keep your volume and load as honest as you would for the mirror muscles.

Been getting into the morning workout routine. Got a little overtrained on upper/lower 48 hour frequency. but I like going to the gym daily. So re-read the Wernbom paper and noticed that there was very little difference if any, between 2x/week or 3x/week training frequency, but that the higher volume 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps being ideal and 30-60 total reps per muscle group being the ideal.

So I am still training daily, but with a push/pull/leg split, with an emphasis on upper body.

Push
4x10 Decline Bench: 195
4x10 Seated Press: 90
3x10 Chest busters: 57.5s (close-grip dumbell bench, hold dumbells together on chest)

Pull
4x10 Reverse Pulldown: 185
4x10 WG Low Row: 150
3x10 BB Curl: 80

Leg
3x10 Leg Press: 410
3x10 RDL: 245
4x10 Standing Calf: 240

Already seen some lean tissue growth, most likely just glycogen storage from the surplus diet and higher volume training.

Today's workout:

Pressing muscles

Decline Bench: 200x10,10,10

Military press: 95x10,10,10

Chest busters: 120x10,10,10

Scale says I gained weight and lost bodyfat.... 202 pounds, around 12% bodyfat.

Gotta love the rapid sarcoplasmic hypertrophy that accompanies higher rep/volume training and a lot of calories!

3 sets of 8-10 reps Romanian Deadlift: 295 Decline Bench: 205 Reverse Pulldown: 205 Low Row: 180 Seated DB Press: 61.25s Leg Press: 470 Standing Calf: 280 been doing full body 3x/week again. Liking the frequency. I threw out the extra stuff like arm work, as the workout is instense enough already as it is. Everything is growing.

Strong for RDL mate. I tend to keep the weights lower for it as I like to perform it slowly so I feel the stretch in my hams.

Back