Hydrolyzed beef protein

I

imported_dan1ecu

Is "hydrolyzed beef protein" a good quality protein? Is it basically gelatin?

Thanks,

Dan

Dear Dan,

If the protein has been hydrolyzed, it means that it should be easier to digest and absorbed due to being hydrolyzed (partially digested).

As for something as vague as "beef" protein, which part of the cow does this come from? Hooves and horn (gelatin)? Hide? Offal? Skeletal muscle (steak...)?

I would take hydrolyzed beef protein to mean hydrolyzed gelatin unless indicated otherwise. Early protein powders were of this sort. But now, we've got whey....

If you are going to spend that money, get a quality whey protein isolate (it should be in the area of 95-98% protein on a dry weight basis).

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Hi, Dianabol --

I appreciate the information. I didn't realize that there were different kinds of "beef protein" available. The protein bars that I eat have beef protein (probably gelatin) as the main ingredient. I'll take your advice and look for whey protein.

Thanks,

Dan

Gelatin is actually one of the worst proteins in terms of amino balance, despite being animal-sourced. . . people on early "liquid diets" consisting mostly of gelatin developed serious problems because of it. They would have been much better off with a complete protein, like whey or soy.

Back