I need expert help with HST

Sonny

I need expert help with HST
Can someone just tell me a routine and it frequency and cut out all the bull ?
I’ve been doing this same routine for 6 months now and would like to reduce it to 3 days instead of 4.
I tried to figure out the HST plan ,but there was so much crap to sort out I gave up.
I am 51 and have been bodybuilding all my life ( Off and On ).
Here lately I have been having sore joints and have been fighting fatigue.
I have a bench with leg attachment and Barbell and dumbbells
I think I’m overdoing.
How can I improve on this workout?
BB= Barbell
DB=Dumbbell
MONDAYS & THURSDAYS
CHEST
FLAT BENCH PRESS (BB) 3X8
INCLINE BENCH PRESS (DB) 3X8
SHOULDERS
BEHIND NECK PRESS (EZ) 3X8 or MILITARY PRESS (EZ) 3X8
SIDE LATERAL RAISES (DB)3X8
TRICEPS
FRENCH CURLS (HB)3X8
KICK BACKS (BB) 3X8
ADS
CRUNCHES
LEG RAISES
TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS
LATS
BENT OVER ROWS (BB) 3x8
One Arm BENT OVER ROWS(DB) 3X8
TRAPS
UPWARD ROWS (BB) 3X8
SRUGS
ARMS
BARBELL CURLS(EZ) 3X8
CON CURLS (DB) 3X8
REVERSE CURLS(BB)
LEGS
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
(I have a torn meniscus in my left knee)

Sonny-
Welcome from another old-timer- there are a bunch of us in here.
If you want to lift three days/week, then you have two options: 1. lift once/day, full body, or 2. do an AM/PM split. I'm assuming you want to do the former, but correct me if I'm wrong- you have the makings of a very nice AM/PM, push/pull split in your current routine.
To do the 3/week, full body, follow the sample routine in the Articles section or FAQ. The long and short of it is this:

1. Stick to compounds- even without a rack, you can hit your legs very nicely with DB squats (assuming your meniscus can handle them), lunges, and step-ups. I'd keep the total number of exercises to between 7 and 9- that's 14-18 sets per workout, assuming 2 sets/exercise. Some like doing 1 set of each during the 15s, but let's keep it simple- just two throughout.

2. Get your maxes for each exercise before you start- get the 15RMs on Monday, 10RMs on Wednesday, and 5RMs on Friday. Then, take a solid two weeks off- NO LIFTING!!!

3. Start each two-week mesocycle (that would be 15s, or 10s, or 5s, or 5negs) at 75% of your RM for that mesocycle. Thus, if your 15RM for lat pulldowns is 50lbs, you'd start the first day of 15s at 37.5lbs (or something close). Obviously, your other lifts would have their own starting weight. Use the HST calculator (available in the Forum) to help keep everything straight. Use your two weeks off to talk to us, and plan your diet.

Those are the bare-bones basics- it's all about progressive loading (that's why you increase the weight from session to session), religiously observing the strategic decon period, watching your diet (depending on your goals, either cutting or bulking), and oh yeah- getting rid of the lifting-to-failure mentality that's so prevalent out there. We don't lift to failure in HST.

HTH!
Jake

Hi Sonny,

Here is my suggestion:
Monday:
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Bent row (wide)
Incline Press
Lateral raise
EZ curls
EZ tri extension
Full sit ups

Wednesday:
Step ups (1 leg at a time onto bench holding dumbbell)
1 Arm Row
Flat Bench
1 Arm Rear delt raise (lying on your side on a bench)
DB shoulder press (A.K.A. Arnold press)
Incline DB curls
1Arm tri extension (overhead)
Full sit ups

Friday:
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Bent row (narrow underhand)
Dips between bench and chair
Lateral raise
EZ curls
EZ tri extension
Full sit ups

[NOTES:] For the first two weeks use you 20RM on each movement for 15 controlled reps (slow eccentrics), 1 set each exercise. For the next two weeks use your 15-12RM for 10 controlled reps (slow eccentrics), 2 sets each exercise. For the final two weeks use your 8RM for 5-8 controlled reps (slow eccentric), 3 sets each exercise.

After that 6 week cycle, take 2 weeks off (strategic deconditioning). Then repeat.

Dang Brian!
I wish you would have replied yesterday.!
I've been asking a bunch of questions so I can come up with the best answers.
I just finished my list of exercise that I surmised from your list of compound exercises and from the advice of others on this board and at Men's Health Board ( Not favorite by the way).
It ain't carved in stone, but tell me what you think anyways.
I’m not use to doing the entire body in one sitting. It doesn’t seem like enough if you remember my old routine from the original post.
Military Press x2
Squat x2 ( I hate doing legs)
Bench Press x2
Bent over Rows x2
Calf Raises x2
Barbell Curls x2
French Press x2
Crunches 60+
In addition, I did figure out the HST theory/program/idea/ whatever one wants to call it! I prefer to call it a "Program”. Moreover, it seems quite logical after reading all the facts and knowing how my body has adapted to weight training in the past. My wife is also setting up a program.
One of the things that gets me is this 12 day sabbatical "SD" which I started last Wednesday.
I was use to doing my old routine 4 days a week and
burning all those calories and now I'm sitting here on my butt with nothing to do but wait and type to you and I've gained 3 lbs .:crazy
At this rate
By the time next Monday comes around I will have gained 12 lbs+-.
And I'm having withdrawals from not lifting for the past 6 days.
Oh Well! Any help you give me will be appreciated.
All I want is Hypertropic' Biceps, Triceps, Chest, Shoulders, Lats and Legs..Doo Daa!
I'm 51 yo 6''1" @ 205 and gaining..Till next Monday.
happy.gif

Thanks
Sonny

Back