I see deadlifts...

GothicSerpent

Does anyone else get anxious in the moments before doing heavy deadlifts?  I don't know if it is more of me worrying that I won't be able to complete the number of reps that I want to (which will bother me for the rest of the day) or the fact that I'm scared the heavy deadlift may pull my arms completely out of the sockets.  I have my deadlifts towards the end of my routine and I often find myself thinking "Ah, maybe I'll just skip them tonight. Wouldn't want to miss the beginning of Heroes".  Fortunately, I rarely skip deads and I always feel better that I did them (and I dvr Heroes so that's a terrible excuse anyway).   Just curious as to what everyone's mindset is before a heavy lift whether it be deads, squats, etc.

I play loud, heavy metal music and get all worked up like I am going to go kill people in a berserk rage before I pull...works for me.
mad.gif

<div>
(GothicSerpent @ Mar. 12 2007,20:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Does anyone else get anxious in the moments before doing heavy deadlifts?  I don't know if it is more of me worrying that I won't be able to complete the number of reps that I want to (which will bother me for the rest of the day) or the fact that I'm scared the heavy deadlift may pull my arms completely out of the sockets.  I have my deadlifts towards the end of my routine and I often find myself thinking &quot;Ah, maybe I'll just skip them tonight. Wouldn't want to miss the beginning of Heroes&quot;.  Fortunately, I rarely skip deads and I always feel better that I did them (and I dvr Heroes so that's a terrible excuse anyway).   Just curious as to what everyone's mindset is before a heavy lift whether it be deads, squats, etc.</div>
Why do you leave such an intense lift at the end of a workout ? I'd think about moving it up near the beginning if I were you.

I used to do the music/screaming/drama thing, but I'm very quiet now. Actually quiet enough to even workout at Planet Chickness, minus a small grunt or two. I focus on the biomechanics &amp; my form, and try to envision myself as a robot programmed to do the lift.

like others, i think heavy deads are best done at the beginning of a w/o.

about the fear part. i think your apprehension is a good thing. it means your actually planning on doing something. you feel you must be physically as well as mentally prepared to complete the lift so your a little nervous about it. if it werent heavy you wouldnt be nervous but you also wouldnt be pushing yourself much.

btw, i too get nervous when things get heavy and i move towrds new personal bests. i think its a sure sign your on the right track.

good luck

I find that concentrating, telling yourself and the bar that it is as good as done!

Metal music will work for me too!

Definitelly move to the beginning, for me it is the first move!

It's 3rd for me with the 5x5 program, starting with squats, then chest. I think doing them first gives me something to worry about; the body not being fully warmed up and deads requiring every muscle in the body. Being 3rd, I'm not too fatigued, and I believe most PL's do them last as well for this reason.
Attitude:
If I make it; I do, if I don't; I don't. Similar to Steve, I focus on form and explosion for the lift, but similar to me, I focus on guts, violence, buttkicking raw energy when approaching the bar. I stopped fearing them back when I hit around 365 and my back didn't give out.
I may make a little noise because I'm alone and it's fun, but really, for the BIG lifts I try to contain all my air and keep that absection pushed against my belt in the first half, hard.

I do mine last, right after bb rows.For me this works best , I'm warmed up and somewhat &quot;Total body pre-exhausted&quot; so to speak,and with no spotter I need to be fresh for bench (first exersize I do) because if I fail - I get to roll the bar down my body to my quads till I can stand up, NOT the funnest way to start a W/O.

biggrin.gif

I find both squats &amp; deads intimidating when I'm into new territory. it's exciting once it's accomplished, but sometimes I think &quot;wow. that's a lot of weight.&quot;

As I'm re-training for squats, I'm still working on flexibility and form...my first attempt at 315 failed today on the second rep in the bottom and I had to roll the bar off my back onto the sunroom floor. (woke up the chickens)
Made 3 reps second attempt but some worries creep in after a failure, and I'm not on a platform. Time to think about building a squat rack I guess, and retire the squat stands. I've only had them for a week and a half I think.
In the meantime, I'll have to deal with any worries of damaging my hut.

In the past when I performed the standard HST program, I performed squats etc as a final movement.

If I did them first in the day, I would not achieve much for the day.

<div>
(stevejones @ Mar. 12 2007,21:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why do you leave such an intense lift at the end of a workout ?   I'd think about moving it up near the beginning if I were you.  </div>
I'm so spent when I'm finish my sets of deads or squats that it's nice just to know when I'm done with them the workout is over.  Obviously I'd have more energy towards the beginning of the workout but I would think it's difficult to start my workout with deads or squats and try to make it through all the other exercises after that.  

I'll try it out to see if I like it better.  I currently rotate the order of t-bar rows and pullups each workout so maybe throw the deads in there as well to see how it feels.

I do them first and like big stevejones, I am focusing on form and I also visualize doing the lift. Yes, deads take a lot out of you, but for me, the deadlift makes or breaks the workout. When I hit a big top set I get a huge rush and the rest of the workout just seems easier. But if I miss, it's tough to finish.

well there you go.
we have a concensus on what you should do.
do heavy deads 1st thing in your w/o, or maybe in the middle after a few exer, or possibly at the end so when your done your done.
listen to loud motivating &quot;heavy&quot; music........or just quietly physc yourself up for the lift.
use positive mental visualization thru-out the day as preparation for serious efforts or just simply walk up to the bar, pick it up and dont worry about it.

seriously, all these techniques work for the folks recommending them. now about your original question concerning &quot;anxious moments&quot; before heavy deadlift. if that feeling hinders the rest of your w/o or your w/o hinder your DL then perhaps you should DL 1st. if other exer. help keep the anxiousness in check and gets you properly warmed up then i would keep it at the end (or near end).

you will probably always feel some apprehension before a big lift (like many others) but you just have to make sure it stays positive (motivation, visualization, relief) and not let it become any type of negative (fear, injury, stress). whatever you do, dont quit deadlifting just to catch the begining of heroes, that would be a crime.

good luck

When it's dead day I think about it all through the day. Can't help it. I start to get anxious if I'm going to be going for a PB and try to make it a positive thing by visualising a good lift. Like liege, I like to get deads out of the way first. That way I know I can give them my very best shot that day. The rest of the w/o seems easy by comparison.

Back