"Isolation" Exercises for Sets of Five?

JLCain

Hi,

I'm new to HST and have a question.

According to HST, there is supposed to be one week where one does three sets of five reps for every exercise. Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd to do certain "isolation" exercises for sets of five (e.g., face pulls, leg curls, curls, and triceps extensions). Am I understanding HST correctly? Should I do these exercises for sets of five?

If I understand correctly, chaining the rep scheme for such exercises is only recommended for advanced trainees (pg. 36)?

As long as you fully understand what you are doing, it's fine. Mostly it's suggested for more advanced people because beginners like to tweak HST too much before they actually understand what it is. But it is fine to use higher rep ranges/lower loads for isolations.

That aside, as long as you don't have joint problems, doing heavy isolations is probably fine.

I think most of those isolation exercises listed utilize muscles that are, in general, better suited to higher reps for muscle growth and, perhaps more importantly, to avoid potential joint damage. That being said, I do, however, like heavy curl bar curls.

Back