Lat pulldown

skinnyman

hi. i was wondering if different kinds of grips of lat pulldown namely closgrip, wide grip, and wide grip but pulldown behind the head, would be okay to use with HST principles given that all are done in the same day?

or..

will they interfere with each other's weight progression because they have different maxes?

i wanted to do the diff. styles because they hit different parts anyway.

thanks for any reply

thumbs-up.gif

Unless you like the variety, I don't see any point on doing so many different yet similar movements. Pick the one that has the most ROM, stretches the muscle under load, and allows you to use the most weight. That would be close grip, (about shoulder width), front pulldown, in my opinion. Wide grip actually gives you less of a lat stretch, in case you didn't know that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ June 02 2005,10:40)]hi. i was wondering if different kinds of grips of lat pulldown namely closgrip, wide grip, and wide grip but pulldown behind the head, would be okay to use with HST principles given that all are done in the same day?
or..
will they interfere with each other's weight progression because they have different maxes?
i wanted to do the diff. styles because they hit different parts anyway.
thanks for any reply
thumbs-up.gif
I've been doing them through 3 cycles of HST. Wide grip Pullups that is, which are similar.

I do them on the gravitron machine, which allows you to do a full range pullup by deducting from your bodyweight. Effectively, it's like doing negs/dropsets. This way you can work up to full bodyweight in graduations of weight.

The reason I like pullups better than lat pulldowns is because I get to stretch and use more of my torso muscles in the exercise, which makes it more efficient.

I don't do an array of the exercise. I do wide grips only and between sets I do dips on the gravitron machine. I am now strong enough to easily do dips full body, but I enjoy supersetting between sets of pullups.

I agree with Dood. There isn't much difference between the different grips other than the degree of stretch. Close grip provides the best stretch and, thus, is best for causing myotrauma.

Back