Leangains + HST bulk

dax07

Hey guys as always I am posting my cycle to see what you guys think. I am a big believer in leangains and ever since I started intermittent fasting it stuck.

Diet: I planned on being in a +20% caloric surplus on lifting days (everyday besides Sunday) and a -20% caloric deficit on Sundays (rest day)
My macro layout is going to be 40/40/20 Monday-Saturday and a 40/20/40 on Sundays (basically just a bunch of beef lol)
I am going to fast 16 hours a day with an 8 hour window for calories opening with my post workout shake. I will be training fasted besides some BCAAs directly before hitting the weights maybe a 30g whey shake if you guys recommend, I know that aminos in the body before lifting is more important than after but both are obviously important.

I just did my SD and I am ready to start this cycle with much enthusiasm, my goals are to gain a lot of lean mass with minimal fat gain (wishful thinking) but I think that leangains and HST together is definitely the way to go for aesthetics. Here is my lifting layout:

M/W/F
Incline Bench (upper chest is lacking)
Chins
Dips
Rows
Shoulder Press
Straight Bar Curls
Laying Tricep Extension

T/Th/S
Deadlift
Squat
Shrugs
Hamstring Curls
Quad Extension
Calf Raises
Abs (Not needed but if I have the energy at the end I might as well do it.)

I am getting my 10 rep maxes tomorrow for my M/W/F routine then doing the T/Th/S the next day then getting the 5 rep maxes in the same fashion.

Questions:
1. You guys think I should do 15s? I don't believe it is necessary because I was recently lifting heavy from a HST style cut, never doing above 5 reps.
2. Do I do 2 weeks 10 rep, 2 weeks 5 rep, 2 weeks negative then start back at 10 rep with a higher max? Maybe I should only do 1 week of negatives before I start back at 10???
3. During the negative week should I do 3 reps on lifts where a negative isn't recommended or possible?

Thanks in advance guys, best regards to you all.

Also use leangain but find it tough to always hit a surplus of decent food regularly

training x 6 days in a row seems a bit much tho

I've noticed I eat a lot of beef and cereal. My postworkout shake is pretty hefty as well. 6 days a week sounds tough but HST style makes it easy and really effective. Only doing 1-2 sets per exercise is badass and allows for high frequency with low recovery time. And I am pretty young and healthy so it doesn't bother me as long as I give my body the calories it needs and eat adequate protein.

I have a variety I can buy but ground beef comes boneless and I buy 80% lean 20% fat. I make a ton of burgers and eat them after my workout. The fat in my diet is decently high but its okay.

I see. Be careful with having too much saturated animal fat in your diet, it doesn't really do you any good, to say the least. Better stick to monounsaturated fats like olive oil + fish oil as w-6/w-3 sources.

Rihad, that is not the store retail price. That is about double the commodity price. We just paid $3.89/lb for 80% lean Ground Round. You can get it a bit cheaper at the super-size stores, especially if you buy in bulk and have a freezer.

The retail price will also depend on the fat content. Leaner = more expensive. A kilo of 95% fat free lean mince (beef) is ~ $13 at a supermarket chain (2x $7 500g = $13, $1 off). The next step down, leanness wise is $12 IIRC, then $10 (visibly higher in fat).

EDIT: Australian prices obv.

Thanks, it's now somewhat comparable to our prices. 13-14 USD per kg boneless (almost)fatless beef. Prices aren't the whole story, this all boils down to average income of folks. Here a high school teacher earns 250-300 USD (no, I didn't forget the trailing zero), a medical teacher ~700 USD. Some qualified personnel working in the commercial sector may earn as much as 1900-2500 USD, with managerial position holders at banks earning 4-5k USD or more, but that's a minority of cases. Averaged most people even at commercial companies earn towards the smaller end (500-1000 USD).

Back