Legalizing Steroids

• Thread starter imported_da1andonlychacha
  • Start date
I

imported_da1andonlychacha

Hey, I'm writing a paper for my college english class on legalizing steroids. Right now I think I'm arguing FOR steroid legalization and regulation, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it from you guys. Just wanted to probe you guys for some ideas and discussion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (da1andonlychacha @ Sep. 15 2004,10:29)]Hey, I'm writing a paper for my college english class on legalizing steroids. Right now I think I'm arguing FOR steroid legalization and regulation, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it from you guys. Just wanted to probe you guys for some ideas and discussion.
Pros:
1) No more black market. No violence associated with the import and sale of the products.
2) Safer products.
3) Lower, more stable prices.
4) Legal recourse for those who are harmed by poorly made products.
5) No more double standard for men and women when it comes to hormone replacement therapy.
6) New, legitamate jobs open up here and abroad relating to manufacture and distribution.
7) A common sense, personal responsibility approach reigns rather than a command and control, Papa and Mommy Government approach.
8) Less hysteria and nonsense about them, more practical information available to offset...

Cons:
1) Possible increase in use. Should be negligible as far as health impact goes with the increase availability of solid product information that tends to come with legal products as opposed to illegal.

People are going to attack you, just to let you know up front. They're going basically say because you want them legalized that you want to inject babies with lethal doses of nandrolone. Weird, but true.

Make sure you note that a true legalization effort can only be successful with concurrent changes in other policies/industries, such as no bs about not allowing insurance carriers to raise prices for users, it should be a given that they can. If you emphasize a personal responsibility approach people will tend to be more in agreement with you, I've found.

What Xahrx said!

BTW Xahrx very well said and thoughtful
worship.gif

I'm of the opinion that all illegal drugs should be decriminalised, so steroids are no different. I think the government really should have better things to do than dictate to the masses how they treat their own bodies. Obviously, various substances would require various levels of control. IMO, cannabis should be the same legal status as alcohol, heroin should be like methadone, and I would say that for steroids maybe it should be monitored by a pharmacy or doctor - mainly so that people are using them correctly.

I think it's important that you point out what your form of legalisation would be - would you be able to buy roids with your groceries? Would you need to prove you are over 21/18 so you can buy a six-pack of roids? Or would you need to go to the pharmacy with a script? Legalisation usually refers to the first one, uncontrolled freely available for everyone, whereas controlled decriminalisation would be the second two.

Thank you for that post MO, about the distinction between legalizing/decriminalizing. I think I'm going for the idea that it would be available at a pharmacy. I'm not sure yet whether you would have to demonstrate you are qualified to take them, but I think mandatory monthly checkups by a doctor would be a good idea. This would not be covered by insurance, it would have to be an out of pocket expense. I think that's a fairly safe way to go.

On the other hand, it really doesn't put the government in a better situation to regulate it, because that would cost even more money than fighting the drug trade. So maybe just a 21+ law or 16+ w/ parental permission and you could buy them at GNC.

English professors don't give a hoot about what you actually say, it's all in HOW you say it that counts with them. ;)

Some real life data

Past year** use of anabolic steroids remained stable at under 1.5 percent for students in 8th, 10th, and 12th grades in the early 1990s, then started to rise. Peak rates of past year use occurred in 2002 for 12th-graders (2.5 percent), in 2000 and 2002 for 10th-graders (2.2 percent), and in 1999 and 2000 for 8th-graders (1.7 percent). In 2003, steroid use by 10th-graders declined significantly to 1.7 percent. The rate among 12th-graders, 2.1 percent, was also down from 2002, but not significantly. Among 8th-graders, 1.4 percent reported steroid use in the past year.

Most anabolic steroids users are male, and among male students, past year use of these substances was reported by 1.8 percent of 8th-graders, 2.3 percent of 10th-graders, and 3.2 percent of 12th-graders in 2003.

Anabolic Steroid Use by Students
Year 2003 Monitoring the Future Survey

....................8th-Graders 10th-Graders 12th-Graders
Ever Used..........2.5%.............3.0%............3.5%
Used in Past Year..1.4..............1.7................2.1
Used in Past Month.0.7..............0.8................1.3

Steroid Use Statistics 12th graders

Now let's look at steroids compared to other drugs

Marijuana and LSD

More Facts

Fact: Under Federal law it is illegal to possess or distribute anabolic steroids for non-medical uses. However, heavy demand has generated a black market with estimated sales of up to $400 million a year!

In 1994, 1,084,000 Americans, or 0.5 percent of the adult population, said that they had used anabolic steroids, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Household Survey on Drug Abuse. In the 18 to 34 age group, about 1 percent had ever used steroids; for ages 35 and older, that figure went down to 0.2 percent. More men than women had used the drugs: 0.9 percent of men and 0.2 percent of women said they had ever taken steroids..

NIDA's Monitoring the Future study has tracked anabolic steroid use among middle school and high school students in the United States since 1989. From 1989 to 1996, there was a slight, gradual decline in the number of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders who had ever used steroids or used them in the past year. In 1996, 1.8 percent to 2.4 percent of these students had ever used steroids, and 0.9 percent to 1.5 percent had used them in the last year.

Also if you want more info you can check out the NIDA, a great source for research and stats.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/

Also I have quit a selection of other steroid related papers and articles if I can assist you IM me with your email addy and I'll send you several articles and papers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 18 2004,1:47)]Also if you want more info you can check out the NIDA, a great source for research and stats.
http://www.nida.nih.gov/
Also I have quit a selection of other steroid related papers and articles if I can assist you IM me with your email addy and I'll send you several articles and papers.
NIDa stats aren't bad, make sure you read NIDA press releases and general materieals very, very critically.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 18 2004,10:52)]Think of what it will do to the current state of athletics, at any level. Don't legalize it.
Think of what it will do the current state of people's lives when they get fined and/or locked up for engaging in activities that are not inherently criminal (no one else's person or property is being damaged), at any level. Legalize them.

2.5 % of 8th grade males (boys actually) use steroids. That is unf&#*ing-believable.

BTW, where were you when I was researching my thesis? Oh yeah, now I remeber. Starting nursery school.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Anyway, interesting statistics. Thanks for sharing them.

I'd want to see more info on how the stats were collected. To be blunt, NIDA has an interest in making things out to be worse than they are. No problem, no funding... If drugs aren't evil by nature, why stop people from using them...

because they'd ruin competitive athletics, especially in real competitive sports.

(I don't care about what it does to body-building comps, those are already loaded with drugs anyway)

If you look at the site I posted it shows how the research was collected, including all the demographics and other collection information. Yes, since they are sponsored by the National Institute of Health, they are somewhat one sided. That is one reason why I didn't post the articles. I was simply giving some factual information for this young man to use in his paper, instead of opinions.

O&G, what I find more unfu__king believable is the overabundance of Alcohol and Tobacco abuse among teenagers, when looking comparitively, these two far outweigh the teens using steroids, also look at hospital and treatment center stats that show this to be the same.

Back