LETS HAVE SOME FUN

Joe.Muscle

Ok guys so I was just reading my mensfitness this month and it was talking about core work and the exercise called the plank. Well for those that have never done it its a lot tougher than it looks.

Anyway they said something along the lines of if you can hold it for 30 seconds your are a beginner 1:30 seconds you are doing well and 2 minutes or better you have a great core.

I just did it and I did 2 minutes. It was hard as hell and I might could of gone 15 more seconds but I was runnign out of gas!

Lets have a fun challenge.

I went first

Joe.Muscle 2 minute plank!

How to:

The plank exercise ranked number 10 in the ACE study and is a great way to build endurance in both the abs and back, as well as stabilizer muscles. To do it right:
1. Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
2. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
3. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
4. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air.

These get boring after a few minutes. I don't know how long I can do it because I don't feel like waiting more than two or three minutes. We used to do these constantly in my kung fu class though, so I might not be a fair comparison.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,03:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">These get boring after a few minutes.  I don't know how long I can do it because I don't feel like waiting more than two or three minutes.  We used to do these constantly in my kung fu class though, so I might not be a fair comparison.</div>
That is awesome Tot.

I wouldn't say boring...you obviously are in Phenomenal shape from martial arts to be &quot;bored&quot; during these.

Several words came to mind though but not bored!
biggrin.gif

Great job Tot!

I only made it 70 seconds, but I also did these after just finishing squatting 275 lb.s for 3 sets of 5 in my HST workout so my obliques and abs felt like they were going to explode!

Yeah, that would definitely make it a bit difficult. Haha.

I don't know about the numbers from that article, but I think anything over a minute is actually quite good. I remember people in class who couldn't even go ten seconds without crapping out. Of course it helps if you aren't doing it on a hard tiled floor. Hah. I think the pain of the floor digging into your elbows is at least a limiting factor. Do it on carpet or a mat and it's a lot easier to go for longer periods.

Putting plates on your back would definitely be intense. We never did that but we used to sometimes have someone push their foot down on the person's back while they did it.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 22 2008,03:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I only made it 70 seconds, but I also did these after just finishing squatting 275 lb.s for 3 sets of 5 in my HST workout so my obliques and abs felt like they were going to explode!</div>
Yeah you should be able to do a lot better without Squatting or working before hand!

I did my after my workout today...but I didn't train lower body just upper body!

i can usually do these for 2-3 minutes at a time usually for 2 sets or so. im probably not a good example though as i typically rotate this ab exer. with a variety of others as well. i prob. hit it about once every week or so.

when i started 45 secs to a minute was all i could do. like most ab (or any non-wgt or light wgt exer.) it doesnt take long to &quot;adapt&quot; to the exer. and in time it becomes more an exercise of patience then anything else. think pushups.

Just got back from a night out so I'm full of food and drink but I can never resist a challenge so...

Managed 2mins 10 seconds (Sorry, but I had to beat your effort Joe.
biggrin.gif
)

Aftermath: if I sit up straight now (like I am trying to do to type this) I get an instant ab cramp! Haha.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 22 2008,10:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just got back from a night out so I'm full of food and drink but I can never resist a challenge so...

Managed 2mins 10 seconds (Sorry, but I had to beat your effort Joe.  
biggrin.gif
)

Aftermath: if I sit up straight now (like I am trying to do to type this) I get an instant ab cramp! Haha.</div>
Yeah...oddly enough I felt exhausted hours yesterday after doing those planks???

That was wierd...i guess I taxed my body in a wierd way.

Good job Lol on the planks.

I am currently training abs at home about 3 times a week...so at the end of next week I was going to try and beet my 2 mins time so now I guess I will have to beat 2 mins and 10 seconds!
biggrin.gif

I will check back in with my time in about 5 more days!

Joe

Couldn't resist, did 3 minutes flat...was hard but If my stomach wasn't full perhaps I could have pushed it to 4 or 5 minutes.

Good thihng you started Joe, It will give me an incentive to do this daily and beat my time each time, I could definitelly feel a pull on my back and my abs, kinda like pulling the back and the abs together, weird but wonderful feeling!
biggrin.gif

Looking at the mechanics of this, if you are really tall and/or heavy it's going to be more of a killer than if you are not.

Well I thought my time was good!
biggrin.gif

I guess you guys have raised the bar!

I will keep at it!!!
biggrin.gif

Good numbers from everyone none the less!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looking at the mechanics of this, if you are really tall and/or heavy it's going to be more of a killer than if you are not. </div>

Quite true, eventually will have to put in some weights, how? Don't know yet, maybe my back pack or something!

And the #1 reason you know that your life is dull...

You do The Plank Challenge &quot;to have some fun.&quot;

smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And the #1 reason you know that your life is dull...

You do The Plank Challenge &quot;to have some fun.&quot;</div>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think I just voted for this Final Four...

Deadlift, Power Clean, Squat and Chins

Power Clean over Bench was tough considering I am horrible with the PC vs the BP, but since every guy will vote for BP, I decided to send some love to the Power Clean.

oooooh, it's time for the elite 8.  I voted the same way you did.

edit: how did deads vs planks get so &quot;close&quot;? I'm curious as to who would vote for planks over deadlifts...

Back