Liftwithyour brain first log

Hey, I just stumbled across HST online about ten weeks ago. I was looking for something to bust through a plateau in training. I went from killing every body part once a week (5 workout/ week), to now hitting everything 3 times a week with much less volume per body part per workout. So far I've gone from 185 ( a weight I've never been past before) to 198. Probably not all muscle, but my strength gains have improved and I think I'll cut after my next cycle. Enough about me, here's my log..... And any advice on how to improve things for the next one is much appreciated.

bench press
stiff leg deadlift
barbell row
squat
shoulder press
barbell curl
close grip bench press
calf raises
pulldowns
sit ups

first 6 workouts 15 reps; next 6 workouts 10 reps; next 6 workouts 5 reps; next 6 workouts negative if possible if not continue 5's

doing 3 sets for all exercises. My main goal is bulk right now.

cheers

Hey, I just stumbled across HST online about ten weeks ago. I was looking for something to bust through a plateau in training. I went from killing every body part once a week (5 workout/ week), to now hitting everything 3 times a week with much less volume per body part per workout. So far I've gone from 185 ( a weight I've never been past before) to 198. Probably not all muscle, but my strength gains have improved and I think I'll cut after my next cycle. Enough about me, here's my log..... And any advice on how to improve things for the next one is much appreciated.

bench press
stiff leg deadlift
barbell row
squat
shoulder press
barbell curl
close grip bench press
calf raises
pulldowns
sit ups

first 6 workouts 15 reps; next 6 workouts 10 reps; next 6 workouts 5 reps; next 6 workouts negative if possible if not continue 5's

doing 3 sets for all exercises. My main goal is bulk right now.

cheers

Looks pretty good set up to me. I personally wouldn't do Squats, BB Row and a form of deadlift on the same day, and would alternate the exercises. But there is no real reason why you cant if you have good form. When I first found HST I was a bit skeptical, but when you get to the end of the 10 rep stage, you will really start to see how good HST is, provided you stick to its principles.

Also as you probably know a massive part of either cutting or bulking is getting the diet correct, and hitting those macros. Ive made the mistake in the past of the "Dirty" bulk, and although I gained a lot of muscle I also gained A LOT of fat.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cool, appreciate the advice. I think I'll check out some cycles like the one you described for the next one. My back doesn't hurt, but I could see how that's a lot of strain per workout as is. As for the dirty bulk, I can't help but laugh. Never heard that saying before. They were stressing the importance of eating a lot in the HST book, so I took that to heart. Hopefully it's not too dirty!! Jokes aside weights always been easier to come off then to put on for me, so I'm not too worried just yet. However if I continue to gain like this I'll definitely make some changes as I'm sure your right.

Thanks again for the encouragement

Browner, looking at one of your suggested workouts, would it be better to do seated rows?

Seated Rows would be a very good choice IMO. To give you an idea, this was a split I used and made good gains with, by alternating Workouts A and B;

Workout A
BB Bent Over Row
Barbell Bench Press
DB Shoulder Press
BB Shrug
Stiff Leg Dead Lift (swap for full deadlift at second week of 10 reps)
Leg Press
Calf Raises
BB bicep curl
Tricep Pushdown

Workout B
Lat Pull Down
Incline Bench Press
DB Shoulder Press
BB Shrug
Leg Curl
ATG Squat
Calf Raises
BB bicep curl
Tricep Pushdown

Glad you liked the analogy of the 'dirty bulk' Make sure your eating good clean foods, rather than junk food to minimize the fat gains when bulking. I have also tried to attach a Macros Calculator to this thread, that you might find usefull;

http://ge.tt/

Back