Making a Home Gym

bosbik

Hi Guys,

Due to my work schedule i have decide to make our storage room into a home gym.

I will buy a bench with which can double as flat and incline, get a horizontal bar for chin-ups and of course dumbbells and a barbell.

any other things I need guys?
thanks

Power rack. That way you have a "spotter" and don't need a 'benching' type bench...a flat bench with a raisable pad can be taken out of the rack for many other uses, like DB rows, crunches, lady wrestling, etc. and you won't be banging your head on the uprights...
Overhead pulleys and some handles. You may want to do pressdowns...a floor pulley for cable curls...not forgetting that you can work your whole body with just a barbell though.
wink.gif

Yep, a rack is the single best investment you can make. Seriously, getting a rack changed my life. I'm not joking either. It really did.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 04 2007,08:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Power rack. That way you have a &quot;spotter&quot; and don't need a 'benching' type bench...a flat bench with a raisable pad can be taken out of the rack for many other uses, like DB rows, crunches, lady wrestling, etc. and you won't be banging your head on the uprights...
Overhead pulleys and some handles. You may want to do pressdowns...a floor pulley for cable curls...not forgetting that you can work your whole body with just a barbell though.  
wink.gif
</div>
I never tried that one with my powerbench. It sounds like fun though.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">found this site for power racks: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/powerracks.html

which would you guys think be the best?</div>

Personally, I would get one of the standard power racks and buy the needed attachments such as hooks, plate holders, and chin up attachment.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">@colby

what kinda dumbells you suggest? </div>

I don't own any equipment yet as I am looking to start my own home gym in the near future. I have been looking at selectable and adjustable Olympic DB's. I have been leaning towards the adjustable because:

a) cheaper
b) will already own some Olympic plates
c) don't mind changing the weight
d) did I say cheaper?

Read the home gym equipment thread by me, and you'll find a lot of homemade equipment ideas that I believe will last forever, cost nothing, and make your freinds greeeen with envy! I'll be glad to help w/ any technical advice or plans.

It's not just a hobby. Hey, I think I'll add that to my sig!
biggrin.gif

theres also a thing called power hooks ( i think)that wrap around dumbbells, and allows you to hook/hang them on a barbell overhead(in the power rack) saves you having to put them down, etc

i dont own a pair as i have no room for a rack, but i wish i did.
sad.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 07 2007,09:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Read the home gym equipment thread by me, and you'll find a lot of homemade equipment ideas that I believe will last forever, cost nothing, and make your freinds greeeen with envy! I'll be glad to help w/ any technical advice or plans.

It's not just a hobby. Hey, I think I'll add that to my sig!
biggrin.gif
</div>
hey quad could you post the link up?...can't seem to find it
thanks!..
smile.gif

Back