Manta Ray

soflsun

I'd like some opinions on the Manta Ray for squats. I'm having some trouble finding my groove with squats, and was thinking about purchasing one. Is it cheating? Is it helpful?

dunno about the manta ray.  hit up quad on that one.

but I wish I had a buffalo bar to squat with!  http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1270

My traps hurt unbearably: can't even stand massage on them, so I use the manta. A squat does not train the traps: they just hold the dang bar, so IMO it's not cheating anything but your pain threshold of your traps. The rest of the body does the same work to lift the weight.
Sanctioned meets don't allow pads or M. rays...but will allow knee wraps and belts. Go figger.
Understand this: I cannot bear 135lbs on my traps, but my squat max is 405 with the ray, no belt and no wraps. It makes that much difference and was designed for guys with my problem.

<div>
(soflsun @ May 06 2008,6:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd like some opinions on the Manta Ray for squats.  I'm having some trouble finding my groove with squats, and was thinking about purchasing one.  Is it cheating?  Is it helpful?</div>
It's not for plifters, because holding a large amount of pounds across your upperback can be an entirely different feeling than using the manta ray, but the manta ray is awesome for bbers.  It helps you distribute the weight across your legs, lower back, and abs evenly.  You never have to worry about the bar slipping which causes you to focus more on your arms and neck, taking your mind off the muscles you want to work (especially during high or fast reps).  It's also great for stretching your quads.  I like to use light weight to go down into a deep hands free atg position and hang onto the squat rack for up to 3 minutes in a full atg position.  Gives quads a great stretch.  

<div>
(stevejones @ May 07 2008,12:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like to use light weight to go down into a deep hands free atg position and hang onto the squat rack for up to 3 minutes in a full atg position.  Gives quads a great stretch.  </div>
thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it may be good to try regardless.

Quad,

In your case it's a no-brainer. I wonder why your traps are so sensitive.

I don't know, but after trying front squats, it seems like my anterior delts are almost the same way! I have a lot of flexibility issues to work out first.
Steve's idea of weighted stretch is cool. It only bears to mind the research on stretching vs. warming up: warmups are much better for working (exersizing) and stretches are best done after the work. Thot I'd post that in case someone gets the wrong idea.

I've had one for several years.

I had managed to injure my left shoulder doing squats on a smith machine (the wrenching movement twisting the bar with heavy weight caused it) and then didn't take care of it and got a 'frozen capsule'.

Basically I couldn't move my left arm much above parallel to the floor, and it was very painful. So you can imagine how difficult it was to squat.

The Manta Ray made it possible and even help me work that adhesion loose.

It does take some care in positioning, and you absolutely don't want it on bare skin. If it moves, it doesn't slide on the skin, it take it along! So a shirt that covers the area is a must

It take a little getting use to because it holds the bar up higher than is typical for squats.

I have a few problems with that same shoulder from time to time (a bone spur I think, but I know what to avoid mostly) and if there is any inflamation that causes pain I will use the Manta Ray for squats, it's much easier on the shoulder joint.

I really can't see how it would be cheating. It's the same movement; maybe a very slight change in the orientation of the movement, but not much.

I do get some mild bruising on my traps with a lot of weight, but it's very minor

You bruise WITH a manta ray? I thought that was impossible, unless it doesn't fit you well. I had to cut out the neck area for my 18-19&quot; neck, but since the early usage have found that I can back out of the rack with it as far back as I can set it and just &quot;hump&quot; the bar back a bit further, allowing the arms stretch limit catch it. I found this low position necessary when I went to ATG squats.
Incidentally, my squats hit new PR's when I moved the hands in close as possible. It's painful for sure, but totally solidifies the torso. I don't know how that works, but it got me into the 400's doing it.
The hard part is letting the bar go after the set!
laugh.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ May 08 2008,8:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You bruise WITH a manta ray? I thought that was impossible, unless it doesn't fit you well. I had to cut out the neck area for my 18-19&quot; neck, but since the early usage have found that I can back out of the rack with it as far back as I can set it and just &quot;hump&quot; the bar back a bit further, allowing the arms stretch limit catch it. I found this low position necessary when I went to ATG squats.
Incidentally, my squats hit new PR's when I moved the hands in close as possible. It's painful for sure, but totally solidifies the torso. I don't know how that works, but it got me into the 400's doing it.
The hard part is letting the bar go after the set!
laugh.gif
</div>
I should have been more descriptive. Actually the bruising is in the front where it hangs over. I have fairly large traps, so the edges put pressure on them in the front and cause some lines.

Nothing major tho

Guys,

Does the bar have to be high on the traps, or can it be positioned lower on the scapular spine as illustarated in Starting Strength ? I hope it is able to get in that lower position!

adb1x1: I also should have mentioned that I had to grind off the front tabs just a bit too: had the &quot;digging in&quot; problem myself.
Solfsun: I mentioned that in my post above. You posted just after me.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 09 2008,6:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">adb1x1: I also should have mentioned that I had to grind off the front tabs just a bit too: had the &quot;digging in&quot; problem myself.
Solfsun: I mentioned that in my post above. You posted just after me.</div>

I'd thot about doing that myself. I just would hate to damage the thing!

I don't really have a good bench grinder to do it with

Back