max-ot or dual factor training?

andrew123

ready to start a new training cycle but confused on what style to follow. im a ectomorph and have had trouble breaking through strength plateus particulary bench press. ive tried max-ot before and ive found focusing on 1-2bodyparts per workout helps me focus my intensity. the negatives of it are i feel once a week bodypart training is not enough for me and i tend to plateau on my weights within a month or so. whereas hst 5x5 etc i seem to be able to get more progress with strength gains for a period but i get pretty burnt out by the end of the week and dont have the energy to perform cardio which i would like to start doing. any opions on the matter?

If you don't have the energy for cardio, then don't do cardio. I would focus on one goal at a time here, since you have a hard time breaking through plateaus. Right now, focus on increasing your strength. I would stick with HST or 5x5 and keep pushing through those strength barriers. Cardio isn't really going to help you bench more.

''ive found focusing on 1-2bodyparts per workout helps me focus my intensity. the negatives of it are i feel once a week bodypart training is not enough for me and i tend to plateau on my weights within a month or so. whereas hst 5x5 etc i seem to be able to get more progress with strength gains for a period but i get pretty burnt out by the end of the week ''

I was suggesting that reduced volume may help you since you report feeling burned out with 5x5! Tot is right, one goal at a time, are you eating enough?

Style's suggestion about reducing volume is correct as well. If you can't handle the volume, then cut back - just like Bryan says in the FAQ. Also, as style points out, how you are eating is important. You aren't going to make strength gains on a caloric deficit, and strength gains are poor on maintenance calories. You should really be eating an excess for optimal strength gains.

Back