MST

Replicating martial arts-like movements.

I.e. - a bench press is inherently similar to a standard punch, the contraction should be similar. Therefore, some speed work (dynamic [westside] style) should improve punching ability.

i would advise using dumbbells instead or a barbell.

in fact learn how to use kettle bells, as they help strengthen the joints and conective tisue, as well as the muscles, which as i'm sure you know is very important in martial arts.

Do some more strength specific training, do a bit of technique training, then find the best martial artists you can, and beat 'em up. Often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DRAGON @ Feb. 28 2004,5:21)]in fact learn how to use kettle bells, as they help strengthen the joints and conective tisue, as well as the muscles, which as i'm sure you know is very important in martial arts.
proof for this? what happens if you resistance train and your joints/ct do not adapt?

Kettlebells are for the most part, over priced, under weighted toys

Like in any other sport, MST should also be periodized.The periodisation program consist of mesocycles named for the most significant adaptataion they cause.Each mesocycle will serve as a foundation for the upcoming phase, leading to the highest possible level of event specific fitness.Eventhough the length may vary, they all follow a preset order.There are myriad ways of designing a peroidized program.It depends on the age, fitness level,weak points and objectives of the trainee.
A Periodization Format
General
Anataomical Adapataion followed by hypertrophy
Anataomical adapataion cycle involves devolopoing proper exercise tecnique, enhancing anaerobic endurance and strengtheing coonective tissue. A novice might spent more time on this cycle, whereas someone who is exeprienced can by[pass this cycle.
Hypertrophy phase goal is to increase muscle mass.This cycle is particularly importanat for athletes who wish to move up their weight class.
Specific
Absolute strength phase sets the foundation for specific speed strength devolopment for subsequent cycles.
Phase 4 invloves training with same weights execpt that you train your explosive potential.This is the phase where most martial astists spent time.The next phase is the mainatance phase where the speed strength is maintained over the course of competetion.The last phase is the trainnsition phase which is basiccaly a brief change in pace to recover from the physiological and psychological effects of training.
Select exercise which are more sport specific.For instance, standing cable for adductors and abducrors than seated.Make sure you work you core.And, the last thing you want to do as a martial artsst is to weight train and never stretch.
:) Anoop

I have no clue what anoop was saying there, but man, you gotta learn to fight. That's the single most important thing.
What's the point in having a flawless sidekick if you pussy out from a little smack to the face.
Combat experience is numero uno.

I guess I diid not do a good job in my previuos post about explaining the periodization plan. I am writing again to clear things up.This is the Tudor Bompa's periodization plan.I am not martial artsist, But i have read a little bit about martial artsist and their training.

As I wrote previously, the plan can be divided into 6 phases.Each is designed as a foundation for the next mesocycle and arranged in a particular sequence.

Anatomical Adaptation phase: Here the goal involves devolopoing proper exercise tecnique, enhancing anaerobic endurance and strengtheing coonective tissue. A novice might spent more time on this cycle, whereas someone who is exeprienced can bypass this cycle.The length of the cycle is determined by the athletes current fitness level.The number of repetitions are kept high.

Hypertrophy Phase:Goal is to increase lean body mass.For competitors, who need to move up the weight category class will spent more time in here.In some cases, this cycle is usually bypassed.( Athletes who are at the upper limit of their weight class).Rep range between 5 and 12

Absolute Strength: The 3 rd phase which sets up the foundation for the speed strength devolopment.The primary goal to increase the strenth.Rep ranges between 1 and 5.Basically a powelifters training routine.

Speed Strength ;Here the goal is convert the raw strength in into speed-strength.The weights are lifted explosivelykeeping the reps between six and ten.

Maintance Phase;Thi is the phase where the speed strength is maintained for the competetion phase.Here the number of sets, reps and exercise are reduced as a deliberate attempt to reduve volume.Here the athletes concentrate more on sport specific drills like sparring.

The transiton phase is just a sort of relaxation phase.You can see how you the plan slowly peaks you for the competetion. I just gave you a basic outline, there are other factors like training level,fitness level, aerobic and anaerobic endurance level,weak points, injuries to be consiederd when planning a periodization scheme.Hope it helps

:) Anoop

Are you a martial artist, who wants to compete, or to do this for recreation, or to do this for beating up people?
That would probably affect training.
Also, what martial art are we talking about?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkismul @ Mar. 02 2004,10:58)]Are you a martial artist, who wants to compete, or to do this for recreation, or to do this for beating up people?
That would probably affect training.
Also, what martial art are we talking about?
Just pretend I'm a warrior who must be ready to go into battle year-round.
I'm doing both striking and grappling, but I'm focusing more on kickboxing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you a martial artist, who wants to compete, or to do this for recreation, or to do this for beating up people?

I want to beat up people FOR recreation. What do you recommend?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ Mar. 09 2004,9:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you a martial artist, who wants to compete, or to do this for recreation, or to do this for beating up people?
I want to beat up people FOR recreation. What do you recommend?
Well, assuming you want to do this out on the street or whatever, I think for choice of martial art, that Brazilian Jiu Jutsu should do the trick.
Possibly some Muay Thai too. That should teach you to be brutal and ruthless. Which is important in a streetfight, where you likely want the opponent(s) out cold as soon as possible.

For training, I dont think HST is the best. Depending on your size though. Many fights end up on the ground, and there, both strenght and weight are important. If you're really light, HST might be a good way to get some bulk.
If you already have some bulk, I think you should look at the different SST-threads.
Most fights I've seen/been in are over quite quickly(like 5 minutes at max), so I'm not too thrilled with endurance training.

Oh, and go with the most brutal, and simple, attacks you can(that don't leave you open). Most untrained individuals will shrink back if you show that you're not at all concerned with seriously injuring him.
The good old kick to the shin is at most times a perfect opener for attacks.

Good luck :)

I would recommend Hochheim's or Joe Lewis' system over BJJ/MT. And I'm still looking for a *sample cycle*
crazy.gif

bigbangsingh,
love your post. don't have a "sample cycle" for you though... Maybe you might look this direction. I myself work w/ the wrestlers down at the local university.

Back