New here

Twisterdad

Hey everyone I am new here, Have a couple of questions. First I'm 37 and Have been on a diet program and workout program since January. I have lost 33lbs. Went from 246 to 213 and wnet from 27.9% BF to 19.7%bf, am doing pretty good but now would like to build my muscles a little and I guess you would call it shredding??Anyway have been to alot of different sites reading and such and was wondering what anyone in here would reccomend for me to take to help me with my workouts. Right now I am taking hydroxycut Hardcore, and a multivitamin and also my fish oil cap. I lift weights 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week can you help me out with some supplements??

You have a pretty good setup already. If you take creatine, you may gain some strength, but may be prone to water bloat, which will make you look fatter and smooth. Especially at 19%. You've lost 33 lbs in 14 weeks; a bit much, so some of that is undoubtably muscle. Cutting more is up to you, but at some point you'll want to get it down to about 1 lb. a week, rather than 2.35 lbs. as it has been. Initial losses are easy when you're fat, but later gets harder, as it should be.
One cap of fish oil isn't much. Are you keeping your proteins up? Most important. Whey helps with that volume; I see you didn't have it listed.
I never did the hydroxycut; is it also a metabolic activator? (thermogenic?) You don't really need much more than food. I like to waste my money on fish and steak so I can supplement my taste buds!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 14 2007,17:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You have a pretty good setup already. If you take creatine, you may gain some strength, but may be prone to water bloat, which will make you look fatter and smooth. Especially at 19%. You've lost 33 lbs in 14 weeks; a bit much, so some of that is undoubtably muscle. Cutting more is up to you, but at some point you'll want to get it down to about 1 lb. a week, rather than 2.35 lbs. as it has been. Initial losses are easy when you're fat, but later gets harder, as it should be.
One cap of fish oil isn't much. Are you keeping your proteins up? Most important. Whey helps with that volume; I see you didn't have it listed.
I never did the hydroxycut; is it also a metabolic activator? (thermogenic?) You don't really need much more than food. I like to waste my money on fish and steak so I can supplement my taste buds!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yes sorry forgot right now I'm finishing up the Six Star whey protein from wallyworld, and I also just finished up the creatine tablets from six star as well, and yes I'm eating lots of protein and I take 2 caplets of fishoil. Is the six star stuff ok??

Personally, I think you'll need to transition to the &quot;rest of life&quot; type diet before you go to the shredded point. Reason being; if you go from 29% to say 7 or 8% in &quot;one go&quot; the rebound effect of coming back to a healthy (er) 12-14% may knock your confidence and keep on rising!
You've done great with your weight loss upto now! But as Quad says - maybe it is time to slow the rate down to a little over 1lb a week, whilst getting some quality solid foods down ya
biggrin.gif

Keep it up &amp; keep us posted!

Twisterdad wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes sorry forgot right now I'm finishing up the Six Star whey protein from wallyworld</div>

Damm, there's really a place called Wallyworld? I just thought it was a National Lampoon kinda thing
laugh.gif

Seriously, though, my good bro Quadancer and fellow member Dark Master laid some good advice on you. Tough as it might be to stomach (I know, bad pun), you'd best be served at this point forward by making all weight loss slow &amp; steady, @1 pound per week.

The reason is, you want to maintain as much lbm as possible, and it's just not possible to maintain muscle mass when you drop weight that quickly. I'm sure you don't want to go from &quot;fat&quot; to &quot;skinny-fat&quot;, which is what will happen, unfortunately, if you continue at your current pace.

My approach has been to limit carbs and up the protein intake, and that brought me down from 17% bf to @9% over the course of several months. Now that I'm gunning to get into the 7-s, I'm making the approach that much slower, as now I aim to lose about 2 pounds per month. This is pretty much a sure-fire way to maintain as much lbm as possible while cutting. Just remember, the lower your bf goes, the slower you need to take things to preserve lbm.

Wallyworld = Walmart

Along with limiting of carbs (something I don't necessarily agree with) is the focus on good fats. EFA's such as Omega 3's and Omega 6's are beneficial. Nuts and rich unsaturated oils (EVOO) are great.

Eating smaller meals more frequently during the day while meeting your caloric goals = increased metabolism

Back