new routine and question

• Thread starter imported_dont blink
  • Start date
I

imported_dont blink

I'm going to start my second HST routine. My first one went pretty well but I didn't grow too much and I think my diet was to blame so i'm gonna do it proper this time. Here are the excercises i was thinking of doing.

5-7 minute warmup on the treadmill and stretching

Workout A
Bench Press
Dips
Assisted Chinups ( can't do my BW yet boo)
Wide grip bent-over rows
Side Raises
Incline Seated Curls
Pulldowns

Workout B
Bench Press
Incline BP
Assisted Pullups
Narrow grip bent over rows
Bent over raises
Lying DB curls
Tricep extensions

10-15 minutes in sauna with streching

I'm going to follow that standard 15-1 10-2 5-3/4 routine rep set scheme as well and would alternate the A/B workouts for a MWF split.

I know I don't have any leg excercise and thats cause I don't really feel like it's necessary. My thigh and my calves are already very bulky looking (i'm not overweight but i've always feel i've had large legs for my size) so I really don't want to make them any bigger unless you guys feel it's important.

Please critique my routine it would be much appreciated. Also, is there a general rule of thumb to figure out your 10 and 5 RM based on your 15 RM. I saw someone posted percentages awhile back but i can't find it anymore. Thanks.

I would scrap the whole A and B work out thing. Do your A workout only, dump the side raises and replace with mil press. That should work well for a newbie.

I personally think saunas are BS. Spend that time working abs and maybe throw in a set or two of squats even though legs are not important to you.

I agree with spkye, but i'am no pro but by not doing legs you could be hurting yourself later in the game. Legs very important. Maybe squats or deadlifts.
rock.gif

There's an article in the "articles" section of the hsn/hst website that says stretching before/during weights reduces muscular strength and endurance, but stretching after you've finished all your exercises will actually help growth.

Agreed with Spyke, scrap A/B workout, at very least do the same workout for 15s, then you can change for 10s, and then change again for 5s if you want, if you get bored with the same routine.

Agreed BB military press / DB shoulder press are the best workouts for the shoulders.

As someone said in another post, strength/endurance ratios are different for everyone. Just work out your 15s, 10s and 5s for each exericse on seperate days in one week (15s Mon, 10s Wed, 5s Fri), then the next week start your program.

I don't see a problem with sauna for relaxing and improving flexibility, make sure you keep hydrated and get your protein within 20mins of working out, and yeah add something for the abs.

How big are your legs? I remember someone saying their legs were too big when they only had 21 inch thighs and 13 inch calves. If you aren't at 26 inches at least, even 28 inches, then you should stop whining and start hitting your legs, or you'll end up looking like a dork with twig legs supporting a large upper body like the gym teacher at my local high school. If you see him from the waist up only, he looks like a beast, but even with pants on his legs look like they belong on a 13 year old boy.

Definitely squat and deadlift, the guys are right, that would be a huge mistake to leave them out. Load is king and those are the lifts you'll be moving the most weight with.

Workout A
Squats
Dips
Assisted Chinups ( can't do my BW yet boo) no boo, happens
cool.gif

Wide grip bent-over rows
Military Press
Incline Seated Curls

Workout B
Deadlifts
Incline BP
Narrow grip bent over rows
Side Raises/Bent over raises superset
Lying DB curls
Tricep extensions

Tweaked things a bit but don't disgaree wit th guys ie: one workout simple & effective.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you aren't at 26 inches at least, even 28 inches, then you should stop whining and start hitting your legs, or you'll end up looking like a dork with twig legs </div>

Legs are a must, he, he, he, I really like Tot's argument, super cool!
laugh.gif

IMHO there are correlations between hormones and big exercices like dead and squat.... I don't know studies about that, but my girlfriened agreed with me!
biggrin.gif

It's kind of weird that you can dip your own weight but can't chin your own weight. Personally, I'm considerably stronger in chins than dips. Don't worry though, strength in chins comes quickly once you start applying yourself to them.

The routine Fausto posted is much better than your initial one, so I'd go with that. The point of alternating is so you can do one major exercise for each major muscle group each workout, instead of (for instance) doing both bench and dips in one workout, which would compromise one of the lifts, not allowing you to use the maximum load effectively. When you alternate them, then you can focus on them a lot more, which should result in better growth.

Oh, and the most important thing! Remember to EAT BIG. Your results will suck unless you eat like it's your job.

Good luck with your cycle.

Yeah, i can do like 15 reps with my BW on dips and like 1 on chinups with my BW, it's weird.

What's the rational for not alternating workouts? I thought it was good to try and &quot;shock&quot; the muscle.

You guys have convinced me to start doing deadlifts and squats even though i hate them : x

Also, I was told by a some physical therapist who was in the sauna with me one time that saunas help get rid of the lactic acid in your muscles after a workout. I don't see how it could hurt to go in the sauna...

HST isn't about 'shocking' the muscles. That's not what makes them grow. What makes them grow is adding weight to the bar and lifting those weights frequently. So don't worry about &quot;changing it up&quot; or anything else that common brotelligence tells you that you must do. You'll be fine.

What grip are you using for chins? An underhanded close-grip is better, despite what many will tell you, for lat and bicep development. It also allows you to use more load. You may find you can do more than just 1 rep if you change your grip.

I've always just done wide-grip pullups (the ones with ur palms facing away from you). I heard it helps to build wider lats but maybe thats brotelligence too. I'll try that

I just measured my legs and it's about 26&quot; thighs and 16&quot; calves and I'm only 6'1&quot; and around 190lbs. And thats with not having worked out my legs for several years now. I just feel i've always been disproportionate and I definatly dont think I have to ever worry about looking big on top and skinnny on the bottom.

The only reason I can see to doing squats and deadlifts is if it indeed does increase testasterone levels. Is there any evidence/articles to suggest this?

Deads will also thicken your back and traps, improve your grip strength and give you some arm growth too plus your whole core is given a good w/o.

yeah, deads are the business. Your lats will look like wings after some consistent deads, and you will get some leg stimulation. If you are not so keen on building legs, I would still say deads, as they produce size almost everywhere.

the deadlift is the most underated and the best exercise.

Just in case - DO DEADLIFTS!

Back