New to strength training.

DennisRB

Unfortunately I don't have a squat rack. All I have is a bench barbell and dumbbells, which has served me well doing HST.

I have hit a brick wall with my bench press weight using HST. I went up to a 100kg 5RM using HST from being a novice in about 4 cycles, so I had great strength gains. But further cycles are no longer giving me strength gains in many areas. So you could say I hit a plateau in strength.

I would now like to get stronger. What exercises should I do with the equipment I have? I would like to try a 5x5 or similar routine. Which one should I try? There seems to be many variations and I am a bit confused.

I'll give my .02 before someone with more Strength Training knowledge like Aaron chimes in.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What exercises should I do with the equipment I have?</div>

Bench Press
Deadlift
Military Press w/DB's, or even the Barbell

There are a few articles in here about weak rotator cuffs playing a major part in bench plateau. Have a search and you'll find that people have increased their bench rm without doing chest exercises for 6 weeks, but strengthening their rotator cuffs.

<div>
(DennisRB @ Nov. 07 2006,19:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unfortunately I don't have a squat rack.
&lt;snip&gt;
I have hit a brick wall with my bench press weight using HST.
&lt;snip&gt;
I would like to try a 5x5 or similar routine. Which one should I try? There seems to be many variations and I am a bit confused.</div>
As for the bench, you've had some good suggestions re rotator cuff and shoulder balance.

The 5x5 style routines are built around squatting. It's awkward, but I used to squat under the bar and lift it off the bench supports to do squats. A power cage is much better, though!

The best site with cookie cutter style programs to get started on 5x5 style routines is &quot;Madcow's&quot; site found here. You'd probably do well to try the intermediate first and if you can't make at least a few weeks of PRs with it go on to try the periodized. Like HST, you want to understand the principles. The routines aren't magic routines, but examples of what 5x5 style training is like at a particular stage of a lifter's development.

If you do decide to explore 5x5 style training I recommend reading the posts by Glenn Pendlay here.

Thanks guys. I participated in the rotator cuff thread, and according the T mag balance suggestions, my rotator cuffs are not out of balance at all. (I have always done bent over rows).

First time I tried the external rotations I could do way more than 8 reps of my 9% taken from my 1RM bench Their example lists 160kg for close grip bench and calls for 8 reps of 15kg to be in balance. I can do 8 reps at 15kg easy, and there is no way in hell I could do a 160kg bench, I would be surprised if I could do 110kg. However I do the external rotations now anyway. So in a way my bench is weak compared to my external rotations, like in upside down world.
laugh.gif

I will read those links LNT. So much squatting in those suggested routines. What could I do to substitute it?

My HST routine has always had:
BB rows (85KG 5RM),
Bench (100kg 5RM),
Military press (DB and BB, 65KG 5RM)
Dead Lift (not sure on 5RM as I don't want to stress my bas knee, would probably at least 140kg)
Plus all the usual curls, tricep extensions etc etc.

Are you sure that you can't squat under the bar when its on the bench supports to pick it up for the squats? In other words, set the bar up like you were going to do bench presses, sit on the bench facing it, dip your neck under the bar to get it in the normal back squat position, and stand up with it. Then you could either do squats down to the bench or step off it to do ATF style. If the uprights are narrow you have to make sure to not pinch your traps against them when returning it, but it can be done.

Otherwise, maybe hack squats, front squats, and one legged squats might be options. I would suggest maybe more emphasis on deadlifts, less on squats as an option, but for me deadlifts are much more back than leg oriented. Maybe sumo style deadlifts would be an option if you're like that also, as they tend to be more leg oriented.

I just tried squatting off my bench and it feels like a fairly dangerous thing for a virgin squatter. I dont think my bench is very suitable anyway. I will try and get a rack.

I think I know why I have stalled. I think I am trying to hard and burning out. The Madcow 5x5 method seems to allow for burnouts by having lighter lift days, so it will probably help me in that regard.

Anyone got any 5x5 spread sheets I can look at with weights included, or know where I can find one?

Back