Per/Post Workout Drinks

Falco

Now that Prime+/Drive + are off the market, what do you suggest for pre/post workout?

I've been looking at the Endurox products:

Accelerade for pre/during workout
R4 post work out

Kinda pricey, though . . .

Preworkout: Whey
Postworkout: An entire pizza, followed by half a gallon of milk.

No seriously, I just do whey before and after. Difference is that post-workout, I tend to add olive oil and ice cream to my shakes when I'm bulking, in order to get more of those precious calories.

*USUALLY*
Pre: 2 scoops(40 grams) Whey protien blended with 1 banana and milk.

*CUTTING*
same minus banana and substituting water for milk

*BULKING*
same +extra banana w/pre and two banana post (If I'm out of bananas I will dump a packet of oatmeal in the blender with the protien and milk and try not to dwell on the gritty grossness of it as I gulp it quickly down.)

I buy 3 lb. batches of bananas roughly every 2-3 days, I go thru a 5 lb. tub of protein every week and a half(roughly) and I buy 3 gallons of milk at a time and that lasts about 2-3 days also, luckily one of the local groceries delivers free on orders over 50$(they carry protien too!) so I rarely have to actually get in a car and go get my food, I can just order on line and recieve my groceries the next morning.

I have been using the SPIKE (biotest) pills occassionally when I need some OOMPH for a work out with satisfactory results , but generally prefer to stay away from stimulants as I personally find that putting one foot in front of the other on days I feel a bit less than enthusiastic will usually lead to that "breakthru" about half to 2/3rds thru the workout and is cheaper and easier on the CNS.

I find that "Spike" is a bit overblown; not enough bang for the buck. There are much better Thermos out here.
I believe in simple carbs to fuel a workout, and either whey just before (because of it's speed?) or having eaten proteins some hours before.
The same thing after a workout is for glycogen replenishment and immediate protein uptake using whey.
Then a meal with proteins and complex carbs an hour later. This is consistent with bulking or cutting; I can adjust cals over the rest of the day for that. Why mess up a workout with low carbs. Just eat the carbs for your day FOR the workout. Even the ketogenic diets suggest this.

I drink whey and water before, whey and milk after. Sometimes gatorade throughout. Usually just water. Once I start bulking, I' think I'll up the gatorade.

For pre I have whey and a banana or 1/4 serving of cytogainer.

For postworkout I'm a total sucker. I have a serving of Biotest Surge Recovery. I want to stop, but I love that drink so much. I bought two bottles once and I was hooked. It's so damn good. I really hate to spend 2 dollars a serving, but it's my treat. My body starts craving it as soon as I'm done working out and I really look forward to it. And I'm almost done with the second bottle and I have to decide whether to buy more or switch to something much cheaper, but not nearly as yummy to me.

pre (1-1.5 hrs before, I also lift early in the day)

5 eggs
2 toast
1/2 banana

one serving whey protein powder (24g protein)
+
one to two servings whole milk
+
one serving fat free powdered milk.

I keep plastic bottles full of powder in my car to fill with water at the gym.

Pre: whey, 1 serving gatorade powder, teaspoon creatine
Post: whey, 4 servings koolaid or tang, teaspoon creatine

Back