PLs. critique my diet

skinnyman

i'm 154 lbs now.. 5'7. and my targetted bulking diet is:

638 calories on protein (160g) 22%
1450 calories from carbo (362g) 50%
812 calories from fat (90g) 28%
that's 2900 calories!
because of being a hardgainer, i chose the activity factor of 1.5 (daily workout+construction work most of the time) <---edit

i'm about to finish my cycle and just found out about fitday today and according to it.. i'm only reaching 52g of fat but i reach the targetted grams for carbo and protein. i gained about 2 lbs this cycle and saw gains especially on my arms because my workout works like this:

Inclined hammer curls
Flat Dumbell press
Skullcrushers
and shoulder press
that's it.

I'm wondering.. if i'm not reaching my target of 90g fat... and still gained mass (and some fat of course).. is it because i have only 4 workouts? will the same diet and MORE workouts won't give me the same gains?

the last time i'm doing whole-body workouts and a poor-diet , i didn't grow at all. Does the number of workout affect your diet since more exercises means more calories burned?
i'm confused! but happy i got gains on my arms
tounge.gif

thanks in advance!
worship.gif

in general, yes more w/out would mean more calories burned..

just a quezzie ? y r u not doing the rest of your body..

If you only gained 2lb for the whole cycle, u may be an ectomorph( HARD GAINER ). your metabolism is fast as a hare...

for example.. your eating 2900 calories per day,

my metabolism is as slow as tortoise, and im eating 3200 calories per day and ive gained 10lbs in 2.5 weeks
OH AND IM (NOW) 210LBS.. :D

your job may play a large part too.
if you do a manual job your gonna need a lot more cals than your doin now..

on your next cycle, up your cals to 4000, get 1.5g of protein per lb..
stress protein from meat, soya and dairy. The protein you find in bread doesnt count because it does not have the ESSENTIAL amino acids for muscle growth..

working your whole body will also cause you to gain more weight and will probably result in less body fat storage as the cals go to building trunk like legs :D

this metabolism stinks.
laugh.gif

i'm really having a hard time getting enough protein on off days (because my protein is only fast protein)

i just stopped everything else because my arms are way lagging behind. i did an experimental cycle and that's what happened. i loved the gains on my arms. 1/2" on the left and 1/4" on the right. and i was only rehabilitating my elbows by high-rep skullcrushers.

i guess if i'd do MORE workouts the next cycle.. like for example add leg workouts... i'd be eating 3500 cals!? crap. i'm only a student and my job is only to sit down and listen to the teacher scream (burns a lot of cals haha). THIS IS TOO MUCH FOOD! can't you change your metabolism?
laugh.gif

wow 210 lbs.. i think i'd stop bodybuilding when i reach that weight.

it's really hard for me eating all the time.

Have you tried taking weight gainers? They've really helped me pack on the pounds. I'm gaining approx 2.5lb a week (hardgainer too) eating 3200kcals or above a day (i'm 147lbs at present).

But yeah, you should really do full body if your not already doing so. Muscle weighs more than fat so that will bring the weight up better if u do legs.

yeah i'm planning to add legs only next cycle, add up some calories and see what happens. :) i don't have money for weight gainers.. although it'll be more convinient to drink that up rather than eat a whole loaf of bread. thanks for the idea
thumbs-up.gif

being a hardgainer is a great challenge

I thought I was a hardgainer, but once I started eating enough, I was able to pack on decent poundage... I tried a weight gainer and found it was pretty good for adding more calories.
I also drink whey everyday, regardless of whether I work out, and I think that helped as well.
I have to eat over 3,500 a day to gain any weight at all, so I found that I had to concentrate mostly on foods that are extremely calorie dense. That did mean that more fats were going into my diet than what people recommend, but I don't really care as long as I get the weight. So that might be something you should look at.
Also, since you are a 'hardgainer' I would recommend sticking to a 3x a week fullbody routine. Don't go to 6x a week, it will just make it harder for you to get enough calories. Don't do less than fullbody 3x a week though, or you probably won't be generating enough microtrauma to mobilize all those calories you are eating in the most efficient way.

you think your metabolism stinks

i had a chinese last night :confused:

put on 2lb
laugh.gif
... in the wong place though
crazy.gif

did taste nice though..mmmm 400g of char siu pork
tounge.gif

look at that other post "rate my PWO shake" thatll help you out

blush.gif
not a solid 210lbs though
blush.gif
carrying about 25lbs tooooo much ;)

Chinese is gooooooooooooooooooooood (crispy noodles with chicken & black bean).

Skinny - I know Progain is supposed to be pretty good - it mixes with water (my current one mixes with milk so it ends up more expensive). Or just drink cows of milk.

ok here's the 3500 diet...
check it out.
somewhere in the FAQ it says in HST one can gain 1lb-2lbs a week
so i want thAT!!
i'm now 152 lbs..

3500 calories to gain weight massively
640 calories from protein (160g) 18%
1995 calories from carbo (498g) 57%
875 calories from fat (97g) 25%

okay my problem is.. where do i get this 97g of fat?!? i'm lactose intolerant so i can't feast in milk.. i already have olive oil... i'm planning to get about 36g of fat from that.. what else..

how's my diet?
crazy.gif

first of all, most likely, that is way too many calories. That is 23 times your bodyweight.

As for fat, eat nuts. Natural peanut butter and walnuts are where I get most of my fat, plus there will naturally be fat in the meat you eat.

yeah 23 times my weight is good!
laugh.gif

it's because i gained only 2 pounds in one cycle from my diet of 2900 calories.. my metabolism is a cheeta.
i'll be doing HIIT once or twice(if schedule allows) anyway to burn the stubborn fat away.

okay bosox. thanks for the tip
thumbs-up.gif

i'll try to find natural peanut butter and walnuts ASAP.

Hey Skinny...I'm about the same weight (6'1 tho)

Bosox..I'm trying to do the same. On about 3200-4000kcals a day (its hard to eat alot at work). Weight gain can be really tough. Gone from 64kg to 69kg so far this cycle. Still got 2 weeks to go (1 more of 5s then a week of drops).

Skin...try not to hit anything with too much saturated fat. Some quality butter in sandwiches...mayonnaise etc. And yeah, buts and stuff.
Why did you pick that ratio if I may ask?

that ratio because... it said in the diet and nutrition article in the FAQ that 1g protein per pound is already enough. :) and i just adjust the carb and fat ratio to compensate.

Actually, one of the articles here on the HST site suggest that the best bulking diet would be only 15% protein, 20-30% fat and the rest carbs. I haven't tried anything like that, but maybe next cycle I'll see if it works out. For me, that would equal out to only about 130 grams of protein or so, each day, which seems kind of low compared to my weight (190) but I might give it a shot anyway.

hey guys. i'm getting most of my carbs from white bread. is that ok? i get about 200g+ from that. it has a little saturated fat on it. but it tastes better than wheat bread and has more carbs in in it. (and it's easier to chew.. rather than chewing the hard grains from the wheat bread)
what do you think?
i just find bread cheap.. if i have money i'll get more oatmeals.

AFAIK, as long as most of the carbs are of the complex variety its cool (slow releasing energy). Simple carbs give you the quick rush but any unused will likely convert to fat (thats correct isnt it guys)

We've been having this big issue over here in the UK about nutrition. No bread is good from supermarkets because of the crap they put in the mixtures - you should only buy fresh. Packaged meats are bad because its all reconstituted crap - even the fat is injection molded to make it look like a cut from the bone.

Makes you wish you were a gerbil...oh wait...pesticides on the lettuce...blah blah blah

That's funny that you think white bread tastes better than wheat. I feel exactly the opposite way. I hate the taste of white bread, it tastes too bland. Wheat bread is my favorite.

By the way, white bread is highly processed and supposedly has a lot more simple carbs than wheat bread. It has less fiber than wheat bread too. That might be something to keep in mind.

ok i've been eating at 3500 calories and i've been gaining 2 pounds a week. unfortunately some of those are in my stomach [and some on the cheeks (face cheeks)] . i'm in the last week of my 10s and starting 5s next week. What do you say I lower my carbs intake during my 5s (as vicious said in Customizing HST page 3)... so i won't blow my stomach out ? I'll be doing 20 reps total and one quick pulse rep after the last set.

2 pounds a week is too quick
crazy.gif
or
laugh.gif

Back