problems with workouts

diogeneese

thanks to all of you for your threads.....i have been toying with hst and enjoying it but had a problem in my last cycle....i was gaining and all was going well and then in my first two weeks of 5s my weight shot down 10 pounds....has anyone had this sort of
problem.....i was doing 3 sets of 5 and met all my goals...in fact they seemed pretty easy.....i am 56 years old at around 6 feet 3
was at around 200....have worked out since 12 or 13 years old......perhaps i just need more protein or calories....next cycle i will cut it to 2 sets.......i reall enjoy doing hst....and plan to continue after about 2 weeks off

wanted to comment on my type of workout....vanilla.....a. bench, row, squat, romanian deadlift, ab curl and heel raise b. dip, chin, military, deadlift, ab curl and heel raise.......next cycle i think i will cut out the heel raise and the ab curl and perhaps romanian deadlift.......any suggestions??????

You might want to read the Simply & Win sticky. I've had a lot of luck with just squats, deads, bench, row, chin, dip. Of course, you young guys tend to have a bit more steam...

yes i have been keeping it quite simple...i am even doing a simpler version this time....and may go to twice per week....right now my selections are a) bench rows squats romanian dead b)dips chins squats....have taken out deadlifts and love to do them......did not realize i had a reply so thanks...

If you aren't gaining weight then you need to up the calories. It's pretty unlikely that you would lose ten pounds of actual mass in a couple weeks, so some of that was likely water weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

also i am not going full tilt on the squats as i had a partial knee replacement....but its so nice to be able to do them again....i am 6 feet 3 and just want to get up to 215 or 220.....for me thats a lot of protein and calories.....have tried useing maltodextrin but i dont want to just get fat......

Well you're going to have to gain some fat if you want to gain any muscle. You can't either or on this. Unless you are on steroids, the only way to gain significant size is to gain fat at the same time. That's why most bodybuilders bulk up until they have enough muscle then cut back the bodyfat.

i appreciate your replies.....as for you, do you try to get a specific number of calories for your body weight.....do you aim for 1 gram of protein for each pound...or just up the calories?

I personally get 1.5 - 2 grams per lb of bodyweight and bodyweight x 20 in calories. So for me that is 400 - 480 grams of protein and around 4800 calories. I typically go with up to 5000 calories or more a day though. If you don't have a fast metabolism like me, you want to go with 18 times bodyweight in calories instead of 20 to reduce fat gain.

wow what sources do you use for protein.....and what is your post exercise drink like....i have been a jock my entire life....going to 3 colleges on athletic schorships(football and tennis) and i have always had trouble putting weight on.....i am 56 years old now and still when training hard i find it difficult.....but i have always felt great and never get sick....but i try all sorts of ways to put that mass on.....do you think i should just double the maltodextrin and protein between meals.....i would guess i will have to follow my calorie consumption much more closely.....

thanks totentanz for all your patience.....i am sticking with this and if it takes me until 70 i will get it right....and i thank you for your help.....i will up the calories and toy with my workouts a bit....make my increments much larger...

Protein sources: I make sure to have protein at every meal. Of course I also supplement quite heavily with whey as well. As for sheer calories... fat is your friend. I eat a lot of fats and a lot of foods that most people consider unhealthy. Just watch out if you decide to do the same. Make sure you are consistently getting your cholesterol, etc checked to be sure there aren't any health consequences. For me, my diet has never made a difference to my cholesterol, blood pressure etc, but it might be different for you.

well your results seem fantastic...i will work on getting more fats.....i do use a lot of olive oil...peanut butter....almond butter.....maybe i should get more avocado and eggs....i am also making my increments from work out to work out much bigger.....but beginning at 70 percent of final weight ...am i right....

Hey guys, thanks for sharing the informative communication, first time i visited this forum for find out the solution of my problem which is similar as diogeneese , i am very thankful to Totentanz for giving the marvelous solution.

Back