Progressive Overload Question>??

scott b

So I just finished reading the book and still have a questions based on progressive overload. I really want to make my routine as simple as possible. So why couldn't I start out with a weight... lets say my 15 RM or close to it, then the next day increase the weight and if I hit 13 reps or something it be fine? and just keep increasing the weight each workout and stopping right before failure. Then after attaining my 5RM, start the process over again at a slightly higher weight than when I started???

Please tell me if this would work or not. Because it seems way more simple to keep track of....

If you can recover then that is a reasonable usage of the "progressive overload" principle. Typically the first workouts in the 15s, 10s, and 5s provides a little extra time for recovery while still providing a muscle stimulus.

As outlined above you are basically more along the lines of a cyclical progressive RPE workout which isn't bad but is a little different than vanilla HST.

Thanks for the input, I will give it a shot with that relaxed way of doing it for a month or so then when I can better accurately estimate my rep maxes moved into a regiment of doing 15 for week 1 broken down into 80% 90% 100% of 15 RM and following in the same fashion the next week with a slightly less rep range of 12 then 10, 8 and so on. That is essentially the program vanilla but a little sped up correct?

BTW: is it usually this dead on this forum or did I just ask a very dumb question?

Thanks for the input, I will give it a shot with that relaxed way of doing it for a month or so then when I can better accurately estimate my rep maxes moved into a regiment of doing 15 for week 1 broken down into 80% 90% 100% of 15 RM and following in the same fashion the next week with a slightly less rep range of 12 then 10, 8 and so on. That is essentially the program vanilla but a little sped up correct?

Seems good to me as long as you are able to recover week to week.

Most of my comments are done on a one-to-one basis via PM now as people do not want to be criticized by miscreants and therefore contact me directly. It's a shame that a few killed what was once the best source of advanced research on hypertrophy on the internet. Bryan ought to just shut it down and save some $.

Last edited:
Back