Protein powders - Amino acid

akinu

Hi,

Could somebody tell me what is the difference between taking protein powder supplements and amino acid supplements? I know that AAs are the building blocks of protein, but then why two different things doing the same thing?

Which one should I use and why?

No one has actually answered the big question yet. I'm a little confused in this area myself, taking BCAA's along with whey proteins and meat...I know it's all good but dont' know why.

I think it is believed (or proved?) that BCAA are the amino acid responsible for some signaling mechanism of upregulating protein synthesis.
I think the theory for taking BCAA together with meat or whey or something else with protein in is that:
Protein is needed to build muscle
BCAA increases the singaling mechanisms for protein synthesis thereby making the available protein be stored as muscle in a larger scale than without BCAA.
With EAA you both have the BCAA and the rest of the essential amino acid (and in free form, not bound as proteins) which means you have both the signaling mechanisms plus the amino acids needed for building muscle, so in theory thats all you need for building muscle, no whey or other protein source required... in theory.

I´m not sure though. 
biggrin.gif

Hope someone can correct the parts that are wrong ;)

Another thing...
I think Whey consists of 42% or 46% essential amino acids.
But the amino acids are bound in protein-form (the natural way
smile.gif
) I´m not saying this is bad or good. And I also guess that this is basic knowledge for most diet-nerds.
smile.gif

Sweet! I am not the only one confused
biggrin.gif

Since aminos are the building blocks of protein, I thought at first that they are basically the same thing. They both do the same thing and we all take them for the same reason. But then, what makes the difference? Is it a marketing strategy?

Amino acids are digested quicker. So you'd take your aminos quite soon before your qorkout. Whereas you would take whey protein 30 mins prior to a workout, and a slower digesting protein like casein post workout. Studies have been done with the protein consisting of the 8 essential amino acids, and there doesn't seem to be an advantage of any protein source over another, as long as you have enough of the eight essential amino acids.

Also, if you read the science behind max-stim. Dan points to leucine being especially important, although I'm unsure whether this means leucine supplementation would give a muscle building benefit, assuming most bodybuilders get more than enough protein as it is.

If Im not mistaken, most amino supplements have stimulants, whereas whey protein powders don't have any. Is that a good/bad thing?

You're right, if you are already taking whey then you don't need BCAAs because you are already getting a large amount of them in your whey.

Amino acids taken as a powder are not really digested in that they are already in their simplest form.
They are absorbed and if your lucky used for synthesis or oxidizeded or converted to FAT.
It has been shown, many times, at least by Rennie, that Leucine is THE AA responsible for signaling Protein synthesis.

Dr.P, so just what does that say to us numbskulls? If they're pre-digested form, then the protein uptake should be quicker, is it not, or more complete?
Second, "if you're lucky" means if conditions are right they will be used?

I notice on my BCAA bottle it has me using a LOT of it around workouts and around 3g before bed. I must assume that it helps, but perhaps as Tot said, the amounts in whey are enough for synthesis? Hm. Here again I wonder if I'm wasting money that is in short supply lately.

Hey, something about taking aminos versus protein. And it's just a thought.

Both are digested, but are both put to optimal use in the body when digested?

One of my medications, Copaxone, is simply four amino acids made into the medication glateramer acetate. It has to be injected because when taken PO, it is digested and excreted, not used at all.

I took part in a study while they were trying to make the oral version, I was one of their guinea pigs.

We were taking enteric coated 20mg, 50mg, or placebo in a double blind placebo controlled study. I was one of the few that the oral version worked for at all. Turns out I was on 50mg and my high fat, high fiber diet for fat loss was slowing my digestion enough that it waited until the small intestine to be absorbed. Those on lower fat diets didn't do well on it at all. It was digested too quickly and excreted in spite of the enteric coating.

Considering this, what would be the actual benefit, if any of aminos over protein? None, I would think. But then, I may be completely wrong. I have been before.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 02 2007,16:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dr.P, so just what does that say to us numbskulls? If they're pre-digested form, then the protein uptake should be quicker, is it not, or more complete?
Second, &quot;if you're lucky&quot; means if conditions are right they will be used?

I notice on my BCAA bottle it has me using a LOT of it around workouts and around 3g before bed. I must assume that it helps, but perhaps as Tot said, the amounts in whey are enough for synthesis? Hm. Here again I wonder if I'm wasting money that is in short supply lately.</div>
What many would like to believe is that the predigested proteins ( i.e. Amino Acids) are absorbed faster. I have read reports which both affirm and deny this happening. It has been shown is that AA taken immediately b4 and immediately after a work out does increase synthesis, but again, Leucine is the only one of the AAs that has this effect. The others don´t do the job of stimulating synthesis.

If you are lucky means if you use them at the right time, yes.

R U wasting your money? If you take your AAs bas mentioned above, then not really. I think taking them before bed is going to get them stored as fat. Remember, the amount of AAs released during the catabolic process after a workout will be REUSED for the most part. The AAs you are taking aren´t really going to make that much muscle but they will get the synthesis going maybe a little better.

It is in always better to get the protein from whole food sources.
I use AAs in much the same you do, but not before bed, oinly b4 and after a workout and also after a cardio workout.

Here is my tip for cheap good protein: 1.5% Milk... I drink lots of it.

So do I. 1% on a cut (the few that I do) and 2% on bulk.
Thanx for the answers. Good post. Anything that will help me NOT GAIN FAT is a GOOD POST!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I haven't heard that protein powder was harmful on the liver. They are just another form of food, not going to be more harmful on any body part than a chicken breast, steak, or glass of milk. Remember little miss muffett sitting on her tuffett? Well, most of us just have the whey without the curds. Not harmful at all that I'm aware of.

Some people seem to have protein supps and creatine mixed up with steroids. In fact, when I was buying a tub of protein powder, and a tub of creatine/dextrose at walmart, the old lady at the checkout counter told me, &quot;you know that has steroids in it and you will die from it don't you.&quot; My reply, &quot;does this bony ass look like it's getting any steroids? This stuff is half of my diet, could you afford to eat 4-5000 calories a day of chicken breasts? I can't.&quot; She just sniffed and checked my ID to be a witch. Hell, I'm 37 and can't be mistaken for 17 by any stretch of the imagination.

Why waste your money with protein powders or AA's and worry about which is better.

Just follow Canada's food guide and make sure you have a calorie surplus and you will grow.

There is whey protein in regular milk. You could extract it but you might as well just drink the cheap and wholesome milk. I think milk is even cheaper in the US than Canada.

I thought the only useful supplement was creatine which is helpful but not needed.

I know a guy who thinks he will grow as long as he gets 200 or more g or protein. Thats only 800calories.

Back