Put Off Bulking?

Chthonian

Okay, here's my problem: I have a very physical job. It deals with moving boxes that are anywhere from 1 lb. to 70 lbs. at the rate of roughly 1200 boxes per hour, usually upwards of that, for three hours every weeknight, 6 PM to 9 PM.

I have a mesomorphic metabolism, and am 18. On top of this, I am sexually active...often. I'm trying to bulk. I'm 6', 195 lbs, 10% bodyfat (was 11% last time I checked, and I seem to have dropped some).

I've actually been following a Dual-Factor lifting program devised by Bill Starr. Now, I know that if a caloric excess is present, one will at least gain fat, if there's no stimulation occurring to cause muscle growth. The thing is, I've eaten 4500 calories consistently for about 7 weeks, and I still manage to add no weight.

I don't have a big appetite, and this 4500 calorie stuff is killing me. I've tried using a lot of shakes to supplement (homemade), as well as 5-6 solid meals, out of 7-8 meals over the course of the day. Both the solid and liquid approach gave the same results - maintenance. Now I realize this means I have to eat more.

The thing is, I work for UPS. The company promotes quickly. I'm actually up for a promotion now, after only three months. Once/If I get this promotion to a part-time supervisor, I'll be doing very little physical work compared to what I'm doing now.

As of now, the pay is low and the hours few. My appetite is almost non-existant, as it's the Summer time and this hot weather just makes me feel nauseated. I'm young and active, and have been spending so much time trying to eat enough to gain already.

My question is this: What is everyone's opinion? I didn't mean to ramble, but I wanted to depict my scenario entirely. Money is hard to come by right now (tough times in the family), and though I'm insecure (I want to be bigger, and stronger), I'm having a tough time gaining weight.

Should I wait until I get promoted, which could be in the next month, or another few, before I bulk and just forget about lifting for awhile, since all this physical labor plus training has just been beating me up pretty bad? Or are there any alternatives? :confused:

I'm about the same height and weight as you, just slightly taller. I've been experimenting lately with insanely high calorie levels over the last few weeks. I'm eating at least 5000 on workout days, which is really hard to do - and 4500 on my off days. Some days I don't quite hit that level. Anyway, I've been finally making steady gains each week since doing this. I've been getting probably 300 grams of protein a day. I often have to forcefeed myself, and I also have to carefully pick the right foods to eat that will satisfy my nutritional goals. After all, pick the wrong foods and I'll have to eat twice as much just to hit even 3000 calories.
Since our stats are pretty similiar (with the exception that I'm older) I would guess that your body may work similarly.

So... if I were you, instead of working on gaining size right now, I would just eat at maintenance but keep working out. You should still be able to gain strength, endurance, etc while you wait until you can bulk.

Back