Q re. 2 non-HST methods

terp

I'm thinking of changing things up for variety's sake & was wondering if anyone has tried Escalating Density Training. In essence, it's increasing the # of reps done in a fixed time period while keeping the weight constant (though not forever).

Also, has anyone read Gordon Lavelle's book Training for Mass? I think it's an HIT book that's supposedly more sensible than Mentzer & more complete than Darden. I've heard good things about it, but can't find it at bookstores around me. SInce I work out at home & HIT generally uses machines for some exercises, I don't want to buy a book sight unseen & find out it's just a Nautilus text.

All thoughts & reviews appreciated. Thanks guys.

The best book to buy is Rippletoe's Starting Strength. Hands down. You will get a lot of opponents of Darden's EDT here because it does not follow the training for size formula. If you want variety, but you enjoy HST, look into:

Max-Stimulation
5x5 (any of the varieties)
Other strength training: 3x3, 10x3, Westside, DC

You can always combine any of these with HST for a dual program cycle! I have been doing that a lot lately - check out my log for more info.

I took your suggestion this cycle & ran Madcow post-5s. I really enjoyed it, but am taking at least a week off due to my injuring my shoulder by being a dumbass
laugh.gif
MC kept me fresher than Rippetoe's TX Method.

<div>
(terp @ Jan. 31 2008,06:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm thinking of changing things up for variety's sake &amp; was wondering if anyone has tried Escalating Density Training. In essence, it's increasing the # of reps done in a fixed time period while keeping the weight constant (though not forever).</div>
Believe it or not I was just about to ask the same question. Glad I looked at the new posts 1st. I read an interview with Charles Staley last night where he explained EDT. I found it very interesting and went to his website. He has written some good articles and really appeals to my sense of logic. I don't remember where I got the 2nd quote that appears in my signature, but after reading some of Staley's articles it appears that it came from him. I'm in the last stage of my 2nd HST cycle and I'm doing 5x5. I'll continue until I reach my 5RM and may continue it for a few more weeks after.

You mentioned HIT. HIT is in direct opposition to the principles of EDT. EDT seems to be a fatigue management method ala max stim with some aspects of Louie Simmons' Westside methods, specifically the speed lifting. Anyway I'm impressed with what I've read so far and I'm seriously thinking about trying EDT for my next cycle. The DVD where Staley details the program costs $80 and I'm not in a position to afford that right now (or probably ever
sad.gif
). However, I think I can gather enough of the principles on the internet to be able to put together a program. I curious as to what you finally decide to do. Keep us posted.

If you want to try something besides HST, there are much better options. In fact, the classic HIT is probably one of the worst options you could go with instead of HST.

I used HIT in college. It added strength in the form of added weight each workout. And it was brief. If life in the future gets too busy, I would use HIT again. As for size gains, I didn't really note any. In fact I got smaller, even though I got stronger. I know this from people's comments and from how tight my shirts fitted before and during HIT. I ate a lot in college but I didn't sleep much. And if I want to increase my leg press by 600 lbs in 3 months I would go back to doing one set of leg extensions and one set of leg presses per week, on different days of course. That's my personal testimony for HIT.

I for one advocate experimentation. You never know what you're going to get. If HIT sounds juicy then dig in. Keep records and give it an honest chance, but please don't marry it.

Back