Question for Blade

I

imported_elle11

Hi Blade,
First of all, thanks for all the help you've given me on this board.

I would be very much interested in seeing an outline of your diet, supplements, macronutrient ratios, and I'm specifically interested in gms per kg or pound of BW so I can extrapolate calculations for my own diet. Also what are the major differences during diet phases (i.e. what do you change when concentrating on building or losing fat) I am interested in building muscle right now and a little extra fat won't kill me -- I can always take it off later.

Anyone else who'd like to chime in, please do.
laugh.gif

I am 5'6", 130# and consume around 2000 calories, 45% carb, 25% protein, 30% fat in 5 to 6 meals. I have Primer preworkout in water, Driver post w/o in milk with 30 gms carbs. I sometimes drink a sports drink during lifting if I need it. The only supplements I take are HSN Primer and Driver, multiple vitamin & mineral, calcium, vit E and C, aspirin.

Thanks in advance, Elle

You may need to eat more than 2000kcals to gain. Other than that everything really looks good, except, why the asprin?

Yes, I agree with Aaron F - your calories are rougly at maintenance. So it depends on your daily caloric expenditure where you're getting right now in terms of body composition changes.

I do online consultations on diets where I set up an individualized outline for your needs and how you respond to various factors. I don't really see how you can benefit from a listing of the way I do it personally, what works for me might not work for you. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll check my logs and get back to you with more details later...So what do I get in return? ;)

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick response. I just wanted to confirm what I was already thinking about my own diet -- I'm not eating enough -- HST seems to be burning a lot more calories than my previous 4 day split of 16 to 24 sets a day! I gained weight in the past on 2000 to 2200 with a 4 day split. Weight is not going up, although I quickly taped my arms the other day out of curiosity and have gained at least 1/2 inch on each side. Going up to 2300 to 2600 kcal would get me in the 18 to 20 kcals/pound range, so I guess I'll work up to that.
Aaron, the aspirin is just preventative treatment for heart disease -- it's recommended to take 1/2 to 1 whole aspirin a day for that reason.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do online consultations on diets where I set up an individualized outline for your needs and how you respond to various factors. I don't really see how you can benefit from a listing of the way I do it personally, what works for me might not work for you. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll check my logs and get back to you with more details later...So what do I get in return?

Cute, Blade, I have no ideas! But if you think of something, be sure and let me know ;) I guess I was trying to get advice for free
crazy.gif
-- didn't realize you did consultations. I would still be interested in what you are doing (and others for that matter) with macronutrient ratios and supplements depending on your goals. I'm still toying with taking creatine, but have not decided for sure -- took me several months to try glutamine way back when (I'm a sceptic and cautious)

Elle

()))---()))

How about some naked pics?
laugh.gif
I'm joking, of course...

When bulking I really do not count calories too much, and I ran into several problems with consistency and appetite during my last two cycles due to business schedule etc - so I'd venture a guess of eating 3500kcal to 5000kcal (the latter is where I should be at). I make sure to get my 3-4 tablespoons of cod liver oil and 220-250g of protein, then the rest is pretty much random. I'd say a ratio of maybe 50/25/25. I upped my carb intake on my last cycle compared to my earlier cycles, as looking into the related studies from Bryan's article and some of the threads confirmed that there exists a bell curve related to protein intake. Lyle McDonald has also provided further input on this and other points.

Major food sources are...

For protein: lean red meats, shredded pork (wok'ing with vegetables), tuna (made into a delicious shake with lemon flavored cod liver oil and sugarfree raspberry concentrate), some chicken (very expensive in Norway unfortunately), and shredded turkey, low-fat cheese, non-fat milk, casein/whey isolate.

For carbs: oatmeal, pasta, rice, vegetables, bananas (post-workout), whole-grain breads, and occasionally potatoes, maltodextrin or dextrose post-workout.

For fat: lemon flavored cod liver oil (very tasty), olive oil, cashew nuts

Some occasional junk food and candy in the offseason, but I try to eat clean most of the time.

For the fat loss phase (which I'm currently on right now), I stay around 2500-3000kcal - the higher range on workout days. Occasional low-moderate intensity cardio (varied activity) on offdays. I get 250g of protein, and manipulate carbs and fats (more carbs on workout days). It mostly works out to 30-40/30-40/20-30. I do a once-a-week refeed lasting 36hrs where I get 4000kcal, high carb, moderate protein, low fat the first 24 hrs, and 3600kcal lower carb, moderate protein, low fat for the next 24hrs (I go low carb on the second half of those 24hrs). I will diet for 5-6 weeks (or until a target bf% of 5-6 is reached), and bulk the next 4.

Food choices don't change much, I just cut out a lot of the carb sources and focus on oatmeal with some occasional rice or pasta. I also stop any junk food (though I might indulge in some candy during the refeed).

Those are the main points, and the detail level I'm willing to reveal ;)

Regards,

Blade

Forgot about the supplements - creatine, EC stack (during dieting or pre-workout (occasionally)), magnesium, zinc (add zinc, echinacea, and vitamin C at times of stress or if I feel any colds or flu coming on). Pretty basic actually. I'm one of those that don't want to spend money on supplements that have a low cost-to-benefit ratio just for the sake of "covering all bases" so to speak.

Thanks Blade,
It is much appreciated.

LOL, Naked I can't do but I can probably manage some lovely workout photos for before and after HST, when I get up the nerve and am ready to be laughed at.

I am having a problem with getting in enough calories -- when I eat relatively low fat, high fiber the sheer bulk of the food is staggering for me. Right now I'm trying to talk myself into eating some FF cottage cheese and fruit before I go to bed in order to get my calories up to 2200. (Those of you who are eating 3000 plus calories can now sneer)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Those are the main points, and the detail level I'm willing to reveal

Detailed enough for me, and BTW the tuna shake sounds scrumptious. Must be a Norway thing.

Elle
()))---()))

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL, Naked I can't do but I can probably manage some lovely workout photos for before and after HST, when I get up the nerve and am ready to be laughed at.

I was just thinking just in case your last name happened to be McPhearson... :D Naw, too skinny...

Make sure to post your pics, we can all appreciate some female testimony to HST's effect!

I can certainly sympathize with you on that food issue, you just have to occasionally eat (some) junk along the way - where the caloric:volume ratio is higher.

Good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elle11 @ Jan. 14 2003,6:56)]Aaron, the aspirin is just preventative treatment for heart disease -- it's recommended to take 1/2 to 1 whole aspirin a day for that reason.
As asprin is extremely hard on the stomach, I would think another anti-thrombotic agent like fish oils would be a nicer preventative.

Back