Question on Hammer Curls

bosbik

What the correct way to do hammer curls?....Do I lift until my forearm is parallel to the floor or do I take it up all the way like in this link

Personally, I prefer just over 90 degrees i.o.w. about 105 - 100 or so.

The guy in the picture is doing it all the awy up and he is bending towards the weight each time, I believe in a lot stricter reps unless of course the weight is rather heavy then a slight cheat should be allowed.

Another very effective curl is the zotman:

Bring d/b up as if in a normal curl (hand facing up), once at the 105 - 100 degree mark, twist arm so that hand is now facing down and lower slowly, does the 2 jobs at once inner and outer bi's as well as the forearms and a bit of the tricep,

I'd say three birds with one stone
crazy.gif
not bad
thumbs-up.gif
try it!

IMO only use hammers every now and then; stick with barbell & EZ bar curls, with HST you're only likely to hit the bi's with one or two sets I'd use the above mass builders.
Regarding form, it's imperative to hit the target muscle, therefore try a 15 rep set nice a light to get a good feel. Performing "text Book" reps is not always the best approach.
Personally I prefere to cheat on all Bicep movements.
I know that a stretch is desired at times, but seated curls will reduce the overload on the arms.
(No offence Faz  ;) )

thanks for the inputs guys!!

@fausto
I'll try your suggestion on the zotman..i also prefer it at a little over 90 degrees..could you help me with my bi's?..i seem to have trouble in making 'em grow...my tri's are a bit bigger than my bi's..

bosbik

Bi's grow fairly well with the compounds, if you use fairly heavy chins with underhand, close grip, that invokes the biceps quite a bit, also on other rowing exercises, by using underhand grip you'll engage the biceps.

Of course the biceps grows together with the rest of the body if you are putting mass nicely everywhere your biceps will follow, so back to nutrition make sure you are eating over maintenance.

As for the metabolic stress exercises, traditionally the incline curl whether hammer or straight variety will induce extra growth due to the stretch on the muscle and that is what you need to concentrate on.

The zotman as I said, is just a means to an end and worked OK for me, but I also need to put on extra on my guns, my aim is 16 - 17" and so far I could not yet get much past the 15,5" mark, also has to do with eating which I have not controlled all that well for varuious reasons
happy.gif

Try to read the pimp my HST e-book as there are quite a few techniques that help brake thorugh sticking points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Desire @ Oct. 28 2005,3:21)]IMO only use hammers every now and then; stick with barbell & EZ bar curls, with HST you're only likely to hit the bi's with one or two sets I'd use the above mass builders.
Regarding form, it's imperative to hit the target muscle, therefore try a 15 rep set nice a light to get a good feel. Performing "text Book" reps is not always the best approach.
Personally I prefere to cheat on all Bicep movements.
I know that a stretch is desired at times, but seated curls will reduce the overload on the arms.
(No offence Faz  ;) )
none taken mate :D
i use ez bar curls myself only in the 15s and 10s when i get into the 5s i drop bis and tris altogether..on jv and dkm advice...if i was going to use curls in the 5s i would use seated inclines but use my 10 rep max purely for the stretch..as the compounds would give enough load :D

Back