Question

billy

I'm a complete newbie and im just starting to find my maxes so i begin my first hst cycle. I tried the deadlift for the first time today, I read about it and apparently its meant to hit the muscles in your calf area, but when i do it i really dont feel anything in that area, i mainly just get tired from the bending down and feel short of breath, is this how its meant to feel, or are you meant to really feel it. Also do you guys mainly get tired form muscle fatigure from squatting or do you also run short of breath, i find myself breathing so heavily doing squats, i also feel it very heavily, more strenously then any other excercise for whatever muscle, in my legs, but i really find myself heaping for breath while doing it, so much so that i find myself having to stop at the top to regain some breath. I run into this problem mainly on squats, rows and military presses? is this normal? will i get better? would cardio help me not run out of breath? and yeh just incase your forgot, how is the deadlift meant to feel? It feels a little awkard, i tried to immitate the technique as best i could but i dunno, it just feels so much differnt from any excercise and i heard its meant to be a really beneficial one, so i wanna make sure im doing it right. Also, do you guys still do weight progession, like you would for any other exercise, for abs? oh and this is of the topic but is creatine meant to be taken on non training days? Thanks.

It's kinda ironic that your post was titled 'question' - an 's' on the end would have been appropriate.

So I'm just going to answer a couple of random questions of yours:

* Yes take 5 grams of creatine even on non-training days

* Yes use load progression for abs as they are no different to any other muscle in how that respond to training (use a machine or hold weight plates/dumbbell)

* Read all the FAQs

* Read them again two weeks later

oh ok, yeh sorry about the lack of plural, a few more questions came to mind as i wrote it, plus its not that ironic:p
anyway thats for the question
yeh the faq is like 129 pages long and i didnt think it mentioned what i wanted to know. oh ok, i didnt think you needed creatine on non training days, ill start doing that now.
thanks

Billy: Deads are fantastic but you will have to get practiced at them to get them right and so that you can really push the poundages up. Good form is very important. Keep your back flat and tight. Take a 'diaphragmatic' breath to ensure your core is really tight. Head and shoulders should move first, then hips. Try to lean back as you lift so that you're using your quads to drive the initial pull and not relying on your hammies and lower back to do all the work. Imagine you are forcing your feet through the floor. Bar should be pretty close to your shins on the way up. Don't hold your breath all the way up but allow it out in pulses. Once you are standing with shoulders back, lower back down. Be careful not to allow the bar to bash your knee caps or they will be very sore the next day!

Like squats deads are hard as hell if you are doing them right. However, it will take you sometime before you are using poundages that will give your calves a decent enough amount of work to get them to grow. Keep at them though. They are so good for just about every bit of your body.

Shortness of breath will go as you become more used to the demands of these two heavy exercises. It won't hurt to pause for a few seconds between reps to get your breath back if you need to though.

Make it a goal with squats to get 5 reps with 1.5 times your bodyweight then push for 2 x bw. With deads you should get there sooner as most folks find they can dead more than they can squat.

good advise from lol.
all compound exercises will have you breathing heavy after you have done your set.
take enough time to get your breath back before you do another set ,as you get fitter and stronger you will need less time to recover.but even experienced lifters get out of breath  if they didnt i would say they wernt doing it correctly.
check this out.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

ah sweet thanks for advice guys. Yeah that sounds like a good goal, but keep in my mind im doing this at home; I dont have a squat rack, and at the moment ive only got 40kg in weights(still cost me 160 australian with barbell and dumbells, rip of eh) Im thinking of buying some more weights very soon of ebay or something. Although right now, im not lifting any weights in any excercise above 22.5kg(although ive only done 15 RM so far) so new weights arent essential yet, although it is getting anyong having to rotate the weights after nearly every excercise... guess ill have to purchase some weights soon.
hmm yeah would i be wrong in saying the deadlift is hardest to get good form in; it just feels like its not doing anything for my legs when apparently it only works your legs. Thanks again

oh is it? That site said it targetted glueteus maxiumus or sumthn, which a calf type muscle?
beserker- im from sydney.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That site said it targetted glueteus maxiumus or sumthn, which a calf type muscle?
beserker- im from sydney. </div>

gluteus maximus . . .buttocks! However, the main muscle in the calf area is the gastrocnemius.

Billy: until you are shifting more weight you will not really get the point of deads. Just work on your form for now. Later, when you have pushed the weight up over your bodyweight you will start to get it. In fact, why not do SLDLs for the time being as they will give your hammies a really good work out although you still may not have enough weight for them either. Probably for 15s you are OK but for later in the cycle I think you will need heavier iron.

Just to give you an idea: I'm not a big chap by any means but for deads I start my 15s with over 200lbs (about my bodyweight). I think Liege starts his with over 400lbs (I'm sure that's more than his bodyweight
rock.gif

laugh.gif
)!

The cheapest route to getting more weight might be to stick a wanted add in the classifieds of your local paper. It's surprising how many unwanted plates are out there!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and in the lower leg, I think deads will work the soleus harder than the gastrocnemius as legs are bent for most of the movement.

I work out at home, too. You don't have to buy any expensive equipment if your goal isn't to be a professional BB. For example, if you are doing this so that you won't be rail-thin and so you can look more appealing to girls, you can stick with exercises that are easily done at home - bench, chins, deads, rows, shrugs...

I'd advise you, strongly, not to squat if you don't have a squat rack and a training partner (or a bro who could at least watch you, just in case). That's really asking for trouble. Perhaps while the weights are low and below your bodyweight, then everything is fine and dandy. I can't imagine doing squats 100 pounds over your bodyweight without a rack and a partner.

Regards,
-JV

Stiff/Straight Legged Dead Lift.

Can be dangerous for the lower back if one tries to lift too much too early, but is the best exercise for the lower back if one starts with low weight and slowly builds up over weeks.

<div>
(billy @ Jul. 27 2006,11:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks everyone.
one more question- whats an SLDL? sumthn sumthn dead lift im guessing lol:p</div>
stiff leg deadlifts they actually work the hamstrings more IMO
http://www.exrx.net/WeightE....ft.html

oh ok so what you guys reckon i should do
my current routine is this:

Bench
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Abs
Shrugs
Bent over Row
Deadlift
Squat

Thats the general order i go in, is there a better order to follow? Should i add a tricep excercise? I feel like its not enough- when i found my 15RM i woke up next day not even sore, and thats with my max, im gonna feel like i just went for a brisk walk in the light stages of the cycle. I thought it was really unusual i wasnt sore, as im very very new at this.... any suggestions would be great
Thanks

<div>
(billy @ Jul. 27 2006,14:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">oh ok so what you guys reckon i should do
my current routine is this:

Bench
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Abs
Shrugs
Bent over Row
Deadlift
Squat

Thats the general order i go in, is there a better order to follow? Should i add a tricep excercise? I feel like its not enough- when i found my 15RM i woke up next day not even sore, and thats with my max, im gonna feel like i just went for a brisk walk in the light stages of the cycle. I thought it was really unusual i wasnt sore, as im very very new at this.... any suggestions would be great
Thanks</div>
deadlift
bench
bentover-row
military-press
shrugs
squats
curls
abs

thats the way i would do that routine, but i wouldnt do that routine.
i would do shrugs at the top of the deadlift
drop curls do chins or pulldowns
and dips  
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

deadlift with a shrug
bench
bentover-row
dips
military-press
chins or pulldowns
squats

abs
i would do this
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

oh ok, Ill try to dips in my 2nd cycle, at the moment im not strong enough to do even a few. I cant do pull downs or chinups as i dont have the equipment necessary. But I should still definately make gains, if i do those other major compouns and eat right, yeh?

<div>
(billy @ Jul. 29 2006,06:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">oh ok, Ill try to dips in my 2nd cycle, at the moment im not strong enough to do even a few. I cant do pull downs or chinups as i dont have the equipment necessary. But I should still definately make gains, if i do those other major compouns and eat right, yeh?</div>
correct
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back