Quick HST Question For A Nooby

sparkzz911

Just to make sure that I'm getting the idea of the program...

1) I set a max and in 2 weeks reach it. THEN..after i finish the 2 weeks i go in reverse and go FROM my MAX to my previous starting weight..

2) Also all the repps are 10

Are these 2 points i made correct, if not could someone please correct them

thank you!

Just to make sure that I'm getting the idea of the program...

1) I set a max and in 2 weeks reach it. THEN..after i finish the 2 weeks i go in reverse and go FROM my MAX to my previous starting weight..

2) Also all the repps are 10

Are these 2 points i made correct, if not could someone please correct them

thank you!

Pick out your favorite lifts for a full body session. Hit those lifts 3 days a week. Or, you could alternate some lifts, just make sure both A & B sessions are hitting every body part.

For each 2 week series, lift 3 days a week. For alternating sessions go:
Week 1 - Mon A, Wed B, Fri A
Week 2 - Mon B, Wed A, Fri B

(of course you can pick whatever days of the week you want to work out)

You'll need to test your 15RM (rep max), 10RM, and 5RM for each lift. After you have your RMs, take 9 - 14 days off from any physical exertion so that your muscles can decondition. This is important so that your sessions will be most productive for muscle growth from day 1.

The first 2 weeks you do 15 reps for every lift
Weeks 3 & 4, you do 10 reps for every lift
Weeks 5 & 6, you do 5 reps for every lift
Weeks 7 & 8, your choice: a) keep doing 5 reps and try to push for new, higher rep maxes on your lifts; b) do negatives or drop sets; or c) drop to even lower rep scheme like 3 reps and work up to a 3RM

The default set selection is 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, 3 sets for 5s

There are 6 sessions for each 2 week rep series. Here are the loads for the 2 week series:

Session 1 - 75% of RM
Session 2 - 80% of RM
Session 3 - 85% of RM
Session 4 - 90% of RM
Session 5 - 95% of RM
Session 6 - 100% of RM

If you have a lift, like the nose crushers where breaking the increments down that small is not practical, you can double up and just go 80% - 80% - 90% - 90% - 100% - 100%

I think I've covered the basics of the default version of HST (some call it the vanilla method). HST can be customized infinitely, so if something above doesn't work for you adjustments can be made. But the principles of HST - progressive load, frequency (3x a week), time-under-tension, and strategic deconditioning are the key to maximize your growth. Hope this helps! <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

so just to make sure you are adding pounds to your lifts every single workout right until you hit your max, right? and thanks for the help man

also are you saying i should wait 9-14 days right now before i've even started the program or after i actually start.

so just to make sure you are adding pounds to your lifts every single workout right until you hit your max, right? and thanks for the help man

also are you saying i should wait 9-14 days right now before i've even started the program or after i actually start.

Have you tested your maxes? If so, you might want to take off 9 - 14 days between testing your maxes and beginning your program to decondition your muscles. That way, the muscles will respond more for the first few sessions when the weights are still really light. You don't necessarily have to, but that is the recommendation and that's what I did my first time - the results of that 1st cycle were awesome, so I don't want to say it isn't important.

yeah i got all my maxes

just making sure though
lets say my 15 rep max for bench is like 100...so the first workout ever i put on like 70 or so and every workout i add like 2.5/5 pounds untill the last workout of the 2 weeks where i would finnaly add my max (100 pounds) then i do the same stuf for the 10 rep max for the remaining for the next 2 weeks and so on with the 5 pounds etc, right?

thanks again man. and also does it matter how much you weight you are putting on every workout or does it have to be consistantly. For example if i only put on like 2.5 pounds and then another day add 5 poudns extra, is that bad/ right?

yeah i got all my maxes

just making sure though
lets say my 15 rep max for bench is like 100...so the first workout ever i put on like 70 or so and every workout i add like 2.5/5 pounds untill the last workout of the 2 weeks where i would finnaly add my max (100 pounds) then i do the same stuf for the 10 rep max for the remaining for the next 2 weeks and so on with the 5 pounds etc, right?

thanks again man. and also does it matter how much you weight you are putting on every workout or does it have to be consistantly. For example if i only put on like 2.5 pounds and then another day add 5 poudns extra, is that bad/ right?

Yeah, you got it.

Starting each 2 week rep series at 75% of your max is imperative - that is about the lowest you can go while still working with an effective load; increasing the load over the course of the 2 weeks is also imperative -- progressive loading is the most important part; the rest is highly flexible. If your incremental increases vary, no problem - as long as they are increasing and not decreasing over time.

Have fun and enjoy your gains!

hey thanks for all the help man

i just made a chart though can you tell me if it's to much or wrong/right.

lookx.jpg

also for the chin ups [w,n] since they dont really require weight do i just do them regularly, and not increase in weight?

also same question is about the lateral raises and flies...since like my max is only 15 do i just do 15 every workout on the last 2 weeks or what.

let me know if you understand what I said, lol, if not i'll try to clarify it.

If you can do bodyweight chins for more than 15 reps, you would be better off getting a belt to add weight and increasing the load on those as well.

I'll prob end up doign that yes. But for um dumbell flies ( for shoulders) and real delt lifts ( for shoulders) since my max is only like 5 pounds for 15 repps do i just keep doing 5 pounds throughout the 2 week span? will that mess up my results or no?

hey thanks for all the help man

i just made a chart though can you tell me if it's to much or wrong/right.

lookx.jpg

also for the chin ups [w,n] since they dont really require weight do i just do them regularly, and not increase in weight?

also same question is about the lateral raises and flies...since like my max is only 15 do i just do 15 every workout on the last 2 weeks or what.

let me know if you understand what I said, lol, if not i'll try to clarify it.

I'm a 'less is more' kind of guy, so I'd drop everything but the major compounds (squat, dead, bench, mil press, chins) for the 5s.

I'd maybe alternate incline bench and military press - and alternate chins (palms facing you) and barbell curls - but that's just me.

What is the tricep bench press - is that close grip bench?

You want some kind of progression on everything so I'd get a weighted vest or a dip belt and add weight for the chins over the course of the program. If you can do 15 bw chins, you can surely add weight to your body for the 10s and 5s.

For the lateral raises and flies - is that 5lbs/10lbs/15lbs (or kg) total or per DB? Are you working out at home or at a gym? What is the smallest plate increment at your disposal? I have some 1.25lb plates at home. I'd do the flies and raises with just plates at first and start with the 1.25lb plates, then move up to 2.5lb plates, then 5lb DBs, etc. If you can't work it like that, maybe get creative and try to find other objects you can hold in your hand and execute the movement - but are less than 5 lbs. If all else fails, just do it like you have in the chart - at least you'll be progressing over the course of the cycle.

And you'll probably find that this 1st cycle is a learning experience. Don't be afraid to make adjustments throughout, if necessary. My 2nd cycle was much better than my 1st (even though both were very productive) because I learned what I liked and didn't like or what worked and didn't work for me the 1st time around.

Back