Reverse Hyper - Thoughts And Experiences?

Jester

Per title, shamelessly posted here for exposure ;).

Positive/negative experiences?

Thinking of buying Rogue’s updated model.

As to the exercise, okay as long as you have a young, orthopedically sound back. Otherwise can be injurious.

As to the machine, a lot of $ for little gain over jerry rigging something.

As to the exercise, okay as long as you have a young, orthopedically sound back. Otherwise can be injurious.

As to the machine, a lot of $ for little gain over jerry rigging something.

I’m also looking at the DIY version.

You know of folks who had injury issues when used?

Yes, me. But mostly using a regular hyper extension and because of spinal stenosis. Both exercises puts a lot of strain on the spinal column and can cause disc erosion, esp in the lumbar region, over time thru friction. Regular deadlifts are typically a much safer alternative.

Last edited:
My previous boss screwed his back up doing reverse hypers, but I have no idea if it was a form issue, too much weight, jerking off during the set, or what. I've personally done them in the past with no issue. My gym had a stack loaded machine for this that I actually felt was much nicer and less awkward than some setups, but obviously would be a huge investment for a home gym.

The new Rogue RH looks like something you could probably rig up at home if you had the time/inclination, etc. Seems a bit expensive for a one-use unit to me, but I'm cheap.

I’m not a big fan of it, unless we are talking high reps with lower loads and a controlled cadence. The usual way of performing it when ego takes over is to use heavy weights and momentum to do the work, which doesn’t add any stimulus to the hip extensors but places a lot of loading and flexion on the lower back.

I’m not a big fan of it, unless we are talking high reps with lower loads and a controlled cadence. The usual way of performing it when ego takes over is to use heavy weights and momentum to do the work, which doesn’t add any stimulus to the hip extensors but places a lot of loading and flexion on the lower back.

Definitely the high-rep, low load discussion only.

Back