Second cycle help

• Thread starter imported_garibaldi
  • Start date
I

imported_garibaldi

Hello, I have a few questions about my second cycle routine. I finished my first HST cycle and really enjoyed the program. Made some gains in size and strength and am now trying to put together my exercises for the next cycle. The exercises I did on my last cycle were machine squats, leg press, leg curl, hammer strength wide bench press, hammer strength rows, pull downs, shoulder press, upright row, dumbbell curls, tri rope pushdowns, and standing calf raises. Should I change and do different exercises? I was thinking of changing to two alternating workouts. Workout A machine squats, leg curls, hammer strength wide bench press, hammer strength rows, pull downs, shoulder press, upright row, dumbbell curls, tri rope pushdowns, and standing calf raises. Workout B leg press, leg curls, hammer strength wide bench press, dumbbell rows, pull downs, shoulder press, shrugs, dumbbell curls, skull crushers, and standing calf raises. I have never done squats or SLDL before so I don’t know how to do them correctly and I use the hammer strength bench for I have no spotter. What should I change in my routine to make it better and get more out of it? My legs are my lagging body part which I assume is due to me not doing the more complicated lifts. I will follow the standard 15, 10, 5 rep ranges, 3 times a week for eight weeks. Thank you for the help.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Workout A machine squats, leg curls, hammer strength wide bench press, hammer strength rows, pull downs, shoulder press, upright row, dumbbell curls, tri rope pushdowns, and standing calf raises.

Alternate pull downs with rows or put in chins instead of pull downs. Same thing with shoulder press and upright row.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Workout B leg press, leg curls, hammer strength wide bench press, dumbbell rows, pull downs, shoulder press, shrugs, dumbbell curls, skull crushers, and standing calf raises.

Why do leg curls twice? Try the SLDL instead. Again two exercises for the back, skip one and use alternating as above, that way you can really go for one at a time properly.

Lastly, think of dropping isolations at the end of 10's or in second week of 5's in favour of the compound movements...they are more productive and a lot more load is involved.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have never done squats or SLDL before so I don’t know how to do them correctly and I use the hammer strength bench for I have no spotter.

Check this Barbell squat

and this SLDL

The hammer strength bench although I have never seen the machine should be fine.

Ok, use the normal HST 15/10/5, you have no partner so do 4 weeks of 5's try to progress as much as you can.

If legs are lacking then deadlifts and squats are in order, that's for sure.
happy.gif

Fausto's right, squats and deadlifts (basic bent leg, not stiff-legged) are the way to go.  Unless you have an injury, then I'd leave the machines alone and alternate the squat with the deadlift.

Thank you for responses. I have a few questions that remain though. Should I do stiff leg dead lifts of bent leg dead lifts? When I do stiff legged dead lifts my lower back rounds and I cannot seam to figure out how to prevent it. I can go down to halfway parallel to the floor but any farther and it will round out. Is this a flexibility problem in my lower back and hamstrings, any ideas as to what I can do or maybe doing wrong? If I have a slight bend in the knees, I can get the bar to just below my knees with a stright back is this ok?
Also do you have any links or good ideas for a mass building workout to be started after this current cycle. Once again thank you for taking the time to help me out.

See what results you get from this workout. If it works great, why change? The whole point in HST is muscle growth so these exercises ARE designed for just that.

Keeping going until you get bored or something hurts or doesnt work. I've been doing the same exercises (almost) for ages and have no intention of changing unless it starts to bother me.

My 2 cents.

Back