Should I Tweak This For The Next 8-Week Cycle?

phildavies

Just coming to the end of my first 8-week cycle with HST...  

If any of the more experienced HSTers get chance, would you be able to look over this routine for my next 8-week cycle?  I have a specific question(s) regarding sets as well...

ROUTINE A
Squats                                    
Leg curls              
DB bench presses              
Wide chins
DB shoulder presses
EZ BB curls
Narrow dips
Calf presses
Ab curls (machine)                

ROUTINE B
Deadlifts
Leg extensions
Db bench presses
Seated rows
Lat raises
EZ BB curls
Tricep pushdowns
Calf presses
Hanging leg raises

I'm not sure about is alternating deadlifts and squats.  Don't feel like deadlifts works my legs much and have trouble doing 5s with a back problem.

* For 15s I do 2 sets both weeks.  However, even with 2-3 min rest between sets I don't reach 15 reps on the 2nd set in the 5th and 6th workout (and sometimes even the 4th workout for certain exercises).  

* For 10s I do the same (2 sets both weeks) and also can't reach 10RM for the 2nd set in workout 5 and 6.

* For 5s I do 2 sets in week one and 1 set in week two.

Lifting 2 sets in the 2nd week of each cycle means that I reach failure at or before my RM in the set 2 of each exercise.  So in effect I am training to failure (on 1 set for every exercise) for 3 out of every 6 workouts.  Does this go against SD and the wider HST principle?

I am rarely if ever sore after a workout unless I lift 2 sets with the 2nd one being to failure (this is the case for 15s, 10s and 5s).  

I'm not sure whether to drop the 2nd set in week two of the 15s and 10s (so I only hit failure in workout 6).  Or, because I'm only slightly sore with 2 sets (one being to failure), should I add a 2nd set in week two for the 5s?

Hope that makes sense and any feedback would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Phil.

do 1 set 15s keep 2 sets in the 10s but adjust your 10rm "drop it slightly" i would do 3 sets in the 5s maybe 2 on the 2nd wk.

Back