shoulders too weak

skinnyman

hi.. i've been doing flat dumbell presses before and when i got into the 5s this cycle, i can feel my shoulder working out more than my chest. sooner i'll reach failure but it's the shoulder that complains not the chest. i've tried incline dumbell press but i got no luck. could this be that my shoulder couldn't support the weight anymore?
thanks in advance
worship.gif

Are you doing any shoulder exercises? I find my shoulders to be quite weak too and they dont seem to be that much stronger than when I started training (although they definately have got bigger).

If you not doing any shoulder exercises already, I recommend adding in military presses. God I love those.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you not doing any shoulder exercises already, I recommend adding in military presses. God I love those.

I am a big fan of the arnold press, but to each his own.

As far as the shoulder issue, make sure that you use proper form. Strength is a concern, but I think unless you are abnormally weak in that area, it might not be the cause. In a BARBELL bench press, these would be the things that I would look for:

1) scapular retraction
2) lower arm is perpendicular to the floor
3) path of the bar is correct (there are probably numerous opinons on the right way to lift the bar, but after I started the "arching" path, my strength and gains went up while shoulder soreness went down)

When using dumbells, (I think) all of these still apply. Also, you can try using a "hammer" grip (palms facing each other on the lift) as this seems to reduce some stress on rotator cuff and possibly shoulder.

This is the advantage of doing full or at least some 15s. You have many reps at light weights to perfect form (I LOVE HST!!!)

yes i'm doing shoulder presses with dumbells (military press sitting down). however, i don't feel any muscle working on my right shoulder
crazy.gif
the left feels the weight working on it but on the right there's NONE. and i only feel the muscles working when i do burn sets of rear delt raises. i'm thinking of doing military presses using the smith machine maybe i'll feel more work on that one rather than using dumbells.
thanks guys
thumbs-up.gif

Back