Shoulders

JonnyH

Ok so my main shoulder work right now comes in the form of military presses as recommended by many guys here and good shoulders are one of the main features id most like to achieve.

From what ive read military presses mainly target the anterior deltoid around the front & it seems to me the lateral deltoid takes up a good portion of the shoulder around the sides that makes them stand out. I know the military press does incorperate the lateral deltoid somewhat also but would it be a good idea to include some upright rows, or lateral raises to target this deltoid more specifically?

This is my current A & B workout Alternating Mon-Wed-Fri:

A Squats
A Bench Press
A Rows
A Standing Military
A Barbell Curls

B Deadlifts
B Dips
B Chin Ups
B Standing Military
B Skull Crushers

Any thoughts?

Jonny-
I've found that Arnolds work great for me, as do standing cable rows (especially for lateral delt development). I used to do lateral DB raises, but like many, I can't go really heavy on these.

Another thing I've just recently found, in the course of rehabbing a shoulder separation, is Cubans. Again, you can't go really heavy on these (check your ego at the door), but since I've been doing them HST style (post-rehab now), with L-lateral DB raises as drops, my delts have really taken off.

HTH!

I am more on the power lifting side of things. For me the only thing that makes any sense is the Standing Military Press (SMP) Years of fooling around with all the other movements produced weak, tired and injured shoulders for me. Only after I switched to pure SMP did I start to see growth and strength. I do SMPs every workout:

Mondays:
5x5 progressive: This is my Heavy day

Wednesdays.

5x5 with a fixed weight usually about 75% of the last set from monday: This is my medium day

Fridays:
10 x 3 with 95% of the last set from monday. another heavy day

Sundays
3x3 60-75% same weight as Wednesdays

The rear delts are hit with the Bent Rows which I do strictly at 80-90 degrees and always de-weighted between each rep as with the dead lifts.

Incline Bench, Sqaut and Deads basically take care of everything.

Since switching to the 5 x 5 way of lifting, I have never been so strong in my life with excellent balanced muscular growth.

Try doing military press with dumbells and keep your elbows back, I do only this for side delts and have great growth for my front and side delts. Of course rear delts get work during rowing movements. Honestly my side delts are hit nicely with dumbell overhead presses, I never liked laterals or upright rows, feels unnatural.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Aug. 29 2006,17:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I never liked laterals or upright rows, feels unnatural.</div>
Hardly anyone I see correctly performs lateral raises.
Upright rows can be bad for the wrists unless you use a wide grip in which case they become an interesting, yet sometimes painful movement.

I think upright rows can be pretty nasty- mostly because of too narrow a grip and/or coming too high on the concentric phase. I've seen so many guys going up to the chin and beyond, and I'm thinking- sheeeesh- that's a cuff waitin' to pop. Just parallel (up to the xiphoid) works fine, IMO.

An interesting article, worth the read if you have shoulder aspirations.
wink.gif

Great article. It leaves me on the edge between (oh no!) longer workouts or...
I think I liked the cuban press the best; made more sense to me, so perhaps that would be an alternate exersize to the 'A' Laterals I do? By alternate, I mean every other workout.

Yeah thats very intresting, im gonna keep my faith in the standing militarys &amp; maybe add in some cuban presses i like the look of them aswell.

Back