Single-side pec exercises

Armitage

My right pec is larger than my left. I know that an imbalance is normal to some degree, however, when I lift I can feel a large difference in how hard I can contract my right vs left pec. I think my torso torques a bit to the side which is the cause. I want to know if it's safe to perform single sided presses on the hammer strength pressing machines. If I can do one side at a time I can focus on getting a stronger contraction in my left pec.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Armitage @ Oct. 09 2004,9:37)]My right pec is larger than my left. I know that an imbalance is normal to some degree, however, when I lift I can feel a large difference in how hard I can contract my right vs left pec. I think my torso torques a bit to the side which is the cause. I want to know if it's safe to perform single sided presses on the hammer strength pressing machines. If I can do one side at a time I can focus on getting a stronger contraction in my left pec.
Not very safe, no.

How long have you been lifting? Age? Weight?

Interesting. I think I recall Dorian Yates using single-sided bench presses on the hammer machine when one of his arms were injured. I'm not sure if I still have that magazine though. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't torque my ribcage in a bad way.

Why wouldn’t dumbbell flies do the trick?
Instead of doing some single thing.
I had to do that with my arms years ago.
One arm has a injury so I loaded the DB's unevenly to compensate
for the under devolved side . I maintained the good arm load and favored the injured arm and only added the load to the Injured arm till they were both in balance.
I know what your thinking. Just be careful with the unbalanced load .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Armitage @ Oct. 10 2004,12:37)]I think my torso torques a bit to the side which is the cause.
I'd work on fixing that quick smart.

You may have caught in another post that on my left side I have some weak muscles concerned with scapula control. I wont go into details except this has led to a strength imbalance across my whole left side, in addition to making it FAR more prone to injury.

It's now more frustrating than ever as I'm trying to correct it this far down the track.

I don't have any symmetry problems size-wise so I can't relate there except really try and fix your form problems early on as you'll regret not doing it later.

Back