"slow" protein for evening meal

Heavy Duty dude

What would be a good source of slow protein before going to bed?

That's because I would like to have a constant flow of amino acids throughout the night. Protein powders are probably to fast for that.

Do any of you take slow carbs also at bedtime?

I was wondering it taking very slow carbs- like lentils- would help keep glycogen stores during the night.

Here is a link on glycemic indexes:
http://www.jackiesboutique.com/diet/foods.htm

Does anybody know exactly what the GI means?
If you compare a food with a GI of 10 and another with a GI of 50, does the first one break down and release its sugars 5 times slower than the other?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ Nov. 18 2003,3:14)]If you compare a food with a GI of 10 and another with a GI of 50, does the first one break down and release its sugars 5 times slower than the other?
GI is the glycemic response to a meal over the course of 2hours.
A food with a GI of 10 is a glycemic reponse in comparison to that of glucose (which is 100) (or bread as well so look at what the comparison food is)

So the GI = 10% of the glucose. This is per 50g of digestible carbohydrates.

Its not so much slower, but just a different response.

in terms of slow protien, eat meat :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ Nov. 17 2003,8:49)]What would be a good source of slow protein before going to bed?
That's because I would like to have a constant flow of amino acids throughout the night. Protein powders are probably to fast for that.
casein is a protein which is slow. just try clicking on the "products" button at the top of your screen. ;) it is "driver" if you don't want cottage cheese.

My personal favorite is to use a George Foreman grill to grill up some ground turkey or chicken right before bed. It's moderately tasty, pretty cheap, and darn easy for us lazy guys.

Takes me about 15 minutes at the most to grill a pound of salmon after warming up the grill for a few mins. Most fillets and steaks I have from my fish take 10-15. Obviously depends on how rare you want it :)

hmm, shouldn't fiish take like 5-10 min to cook? (at least it does in the oven for me)

takes me 15 min to steam a pound of chicken, 25 min to cook it in oven.

Back