Splitting my workout

r_graz

I'm doing my first cycle of HST, and have gotten through the 15's and 10's. What I'm finding is it's just too many exercises (esp. the compounds) for me to be doing in a single workout. This was evident in the 10's, when I was trying to get 2 sets per exercise. By the last workout I felt like I had lost a significant amount of strength. So I was considering splitting it into A & B workouts. Here's what I've been doing:

Mon and Fri:
Squat
Bench Press
Pendlay Rows
Overhead Press
Romanian Deadlift
Dips
Lat Pulldown/Pullups
Lying Tricep Extentions
BB Curls

Wed:
Front Squat
Conventional Deadlift
Bench Press
Pendlay Rows
Overhead Press
Dips
Lat Pulldown/Pullups
Lying Tricep Extentions
Bicep Curls

I'm thinking about changing to an alternating A and B workout, and adding incline bench. It would look something like this:

Workout A
Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Flat Bench
Overhead Press
Pendlay Rows
Lying Tricep Extentions

Workout b
Front Squat
Conventional Deadlift
Incline Bench
Dips
Pulldown/Pullups
BB Curls

I *think* that split's OK (plus I think it would give me room to add some direct ab work at the end), but any feedback from the experienced HST people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It looks like sweet plan. Just to nit pick though. In A you have bench, press and a tricep iso but no pull down
sad.gif
. On B you have BB curl but no row
sad.gif

I would do pull down and row each day instead of arm iso's.

I agree with Style...pull and push exercises should be balanced, you have too much push compared to pull. And arm iso's aren't necessary imo. But it still looks like you have a solid idea going.

Thanks guys. I guess I could drop the arm iso's and do pulldown and row both days. The only reason I wanted to keep the iso's is my arms don't really like to grow compared to chest/back/legs. I did 4 months on a 5x5 before this with lots of compounds and very little arm iso's and got almost no arm growth.

Maybe what I'll do is do wide grip pronated pulldowns in workout A to emphasize the lats, and close grip supinated pulldowns in workout B to hit the biceps better.

That give me:

Workout A
Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Flat Bench
Overhead Press
Pendlay Rows
Wide Grip Pulldowns

Workout B
Front Squat
Conventional Deadlift
Incline Bench
Dips
Pendlay Rows
Close Grip Pulldowns

You can do arm iso's on top of that of you want. Personally I get triceps growth from dips and biceps growth from underhand chin-ups. If I didn't I would do curls and extensions for arms.

''And arm iso's aren't necessary imo''

''You can do arm iso's on top of that of you want''

Talk about consistency of advice sci! Yeh you can do either way but make sure you keep all the compounds!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(style @ Dec. 04 2006,09:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">''And arm iso's aren't necessary imo''

''You can do arm iso's on top of that of you want''

Talk about consistency of advice sci! Yeh you can do either way but make sure you keep all the compounds!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
lol

I get where he's coming from though.  I know some people get excellent arm growth just from compounds.

I think I'll ditch the iso's for now.

Back