Squatting, and Lower back tiring out ifrst.

MrClean

This was my reply to a complaint about squats, and how they were causing back to wear out first, before the thighs could get any real stimulus. I asked if he thought that enough people had the same problem for me to make it a post. He said yes, so I hope this is helpful to anyone out there.
I am new to HST, getting ready to start my first cycle actually, but have been reading here for about a year, and a half. I saw on here that you had the same problem I suffered from with squats. I found out my problems, and would like to share with them you. First I have been lifting since I was 14, now 30, with some layoffs but training at least 70% of that time, and was a personal trainer for about 5 years. I used to just not do squats at all because of the same thing, but it was pointed out to me a few things. One of which is I was doing "Power lifting Squats" or "Sumo Squats" IE... wider stance, this does a few things, it put the weight on your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. You can also use a heavier weight in this type of squat which will really points out to you if your back is your weak link. Now if power lifting is your goal I recommend you add in some Good Mornings to your cycle, and add Sumo Squats to your next cycle. But if total leg development is your goal, I would do squats this way. Put the bar high on your traps, place your hands on the bar as close together as possible while still being able to balance the bar, and keep your chest up. This puts your body at a mechanical advantage to keep your torso from falling forward as you squat, which in turn take a lot of the stress off of your lower back. Put your feet about 6-10 inches apart at the heel, and stand in a neutral position, by this I mean if you toes naturally point out a little let them, if they are straight forward leave them, but don’t point them out too far. Squat deep, well past the parallel, these are called rock bottom squats, and are much healthier for your knees. It is a little know fact that parallel squats, EI... changing directions at the 90 degree angle is changing directions at the knee joints absolute weakest point. IE... all of the squatting knee injuries that scare people away from the exercise of all exercises. Going deeper gets the quads into the squat more, and lessens the chance of injury as long as you do not bounce at the bottom. You will also have to use much less weight this way but will feel the effect on your legs much more, especially the quads. Also deadlifts, and stiff legged dead lifts will help you strengthen your lower back as well. Since you now know by the problem that there is a deficiency in strength of your lower back, you will most likely want to do something to correct it.
Either way I hope this information is helpful!
I am out for now!
MrClean
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...But if total leg development is your goal, I would do squats this way. Put the bar high on your traps, place your hands on the bar as close together as possible while still being able to balance the bar, and keep your chest up. This puts your body at a mechanical advantage to keep your torso from falling forward as you squat, which in turn take a lot of the stress off of your lower back. Put your feet about 6-10 inches apart at the heel, and stand in a neutral position, by this I mean if you toes naturally point out a little let them, if they are straight forward leave them, but don’t point them out too far. Squat deep, well past the parallel, these are called rock bottom squats...

Yes you are right this is a better way to squat for quad development but not everyone can squat this way even after a period of increasing flexibility simply because of their biomechanical characteristics. For these ppl I would suggest replacing the squat by leg presses or leg extensions + hip extensions + hip adductions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also deadlifts, and stiff legged dead lifts will help you strengthen your lower back as well.

You are correct. These are good exercises to help strength the erectors in the extended position which is necessary for squats. However, spinal extension exercises such as back extensions and reverse hypers are superior for erector development because they exercise the muscles through a greater ROM.

Back