Starting HST for first time next week, need advice on routine!

amatella

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and to HST and I need advice on my workout routine as I am going to be testing my maxes next week. My goal is to gain LEAN MUSCLE MASS I am 150 lb 18 yrs old (almost 19) at ~ 10-12% BF.

I am thinking of doing an ABA BAB routine 3 Days a week with 15-20 minutes of HITT on off days while 1 hr light walks on training days.

Routine A
Squat
Leg Curl
Shrugs
Incline Bench Press
Dips
Medium grip chins
Seated Row
Military press
Bent Lateral Raises
Alternating Incline Dumbbell Curls
Tricep extensions
Calf Raises
Weighted crunches

Routine B
Leg Press
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Shrugs
Flat Bench
Dips
Wide chins
One Arm Dumbbell row
Military press
Lateral Raise
Hammer curls
Decline skull crusher
1 leg calf raise
leg raises

As far as sets are concerned

Weeks 1-2
1X15

Weeks 3-4
2X10

Weeks 5-6
5X5

Weeks 6-8
3X5

Is this routine good? Is it too much? Are the sets correctly ordered for the progressing weeks? Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

too many exercises mate. stick to one per body part. if you are going to alternate using AB then do one on A then the other on B. e.g. for chest just do incline or flat on A then dips on B. also why are you doing 5*5 weeks 5 to 6? just do 3*5. my thread is pretty vanilla HST and i've almost done three cycles. works great for me. check it out for some ideas if you want.

too many exercises mate. stick to one per body part. if you are going to alternate using AB then do one on A then the other on B. e.g. for chest just do incline or flat on A then dips on B. also why are you doing 5*5 weeks 5 to 6? just do 3*5. my thread is pretty vanilla HST and i've almost done three cycles. works great for me. check it out for some ideas if you want.

Oh okay gotcha I will do that. For chest, I will stick to bench with slight (15 degree) incline bench and alternate that with dips. I have a question for chest tho, normally on my split chest routines I do flys as they "strech" the chest muscle wheras benches "push" the muscle. I dont wanna sound stupid haha but do dips stretch the chest muscles as well? Also for back, can I do 2 exercises because I really want to make sure my back is well trained. Anyways, thanks for the response!

bench and dips are both similar in that they are compound exercises - they both work chest along with tris and shoulders to an extent. flys only work the pecs. you can get a good stretch doing dips and dumbell bench, although barbell you can lift more weight. its just personal preference. i would avoid flys with HST personally. or at least drop them when doing 5s. i personally find one exercise per body group is more than enough for growth, but if you want to do two for back its up to you.

Back