Starting out

jcny19x

Hey after many hours of getting this stuff straigh I think I'm ready. I chose pulldowns, deads, bench, military, squats, T-Bar, CG bench, pr. Curls, and incline bench. I figured out my maxes and such. Also, I have been working out but is SD reall necessary? I really would like to start this on Monday. I feels as though M/W/F would be good for me. So should I do ALL of the exercises for 1 set each for each of those days? I mean, does that what the HST plan usually calls for? Besides that I think I got everything straight. I wish I could add pullups, but 15 rm would be my body weight. ANyways, Let me know if there is anything I missed. Thanks ppl

Hi jcny19x,

First, is SD really necessary? Well, it depends on how big you have grown as a result of your training already. If you are fairly new to lifting you may be able to get away with no SD on this first cycle. Later however, I would suggest you use SD.

Second, should I do all my exercises for 1 set on M/W/F? Yes. At least 1 set for each exercise you've chosen accept for deadlifts and squats. Deadlifts and squats are both tuff on the low back. I would suggest doing either deadlifts or squats and then using leg-extensions and leg curls every other workout instead.

On subsequent cycles, if you feel you can easily handle more than one set, go ahead and ad more sets.

Remember, the weight will be increased after each workout for each exercise.

Don't worry about not being able to do pullups during the 15s. Go ahead and add them when you are able. If your 10RM for pull ups is your bodyweight. Go ahead and use pull-ups on your last day of 10s. Then continue to use them through the 5s, adding a little weight each time using a "weight belt".

Just a quick note on exercises. I would suggest push-downs or lying tricep extensions instead of close-grip bench. Just my opinion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Dec. 27 2004,1:03)]I would suggest push-downs or lying tricep extensions instead of close-grip bench. Just my opinion.
pourquoi? Less shoulder stress/more stretch (at least for lying extensions)?

Close grip bench, as with dips, requires considerable coordination with other muscel groups in order to maintain balance during the movement. This coordination often requires inhibitory activity of the triceps.

In addition, three benching movements will likely lead to overuse problems over time.

Bryan,
Hi, my name is Joe...thanks a lot for the detailed response. I have been on the WBB forums for a couple years now; I have been using their WBB #1 principles. Basically, my workout was M-Chest T-Back W-OFF Th- Shoulds Fri-Off Sat - Legs. Every 4 weeks I would change the rep range; for example, first 4 weeks 8-10 reps, then 1 week off, then next 4 weeks 6-8 reps (I would do about 3-4 exercises for the big groups, and add 1-2 sets of arms on shoulder day). Now I want to add an HST routine in and lemme tell ya, yesterday I went to the gym and found ALL of my 15 rep maxes for the exercises i listed, and dang I almost blacked out, but it was intense just how I like it. I have grown to love close grip bench, but I do agree with your reasoning. So, I will probably substitute pushdowns in. After yesterday, I think I will have to use SD and wait like 9 days before hitting the weights again. Well, here are some of the numbers I determined:

Lat Pulldown: 150
Bench: 155
Sqat: 135
DL: 135
T-Bar: 135
Military: 50s (DB)
Incline Bench: 135
BB curls: 55 - I still dont know If I am doing this or Preachers.
Pushdowns - havent determined, but not a big deal.

I'm "trying" to bulk, actually I have gained a considerable amount of weight - I'm up to 190, whereas before I was 175-180. Anyways, is there anywhere here where I can keep a journal? THanks

Back