strength/hypertrophy workout hybrid

yshemesh

Banned
i've decided to go more strength-oriented on my next cycle. just collected info from lots of strength articles and combined with HST knowledge.

6x/week

bench, row, military, pull-up. i don't do legs.

week 1 - 15's
week 2 - 5 x 3 + high rep set
week 3-6 - 3 x 3 + high rep set

biceps are done HST style. inc. curls. from week 2 : 10, 6-8, 6-8, 4-6, 4-6. would i get RBE problems ?

drop your thoughts

You might be better served (where strength is concerned) to drop the frequency down in the 3X3 group to 2X week, especially if continuing full body. This naturally depends on how far you are taking the sets, IE failure.

2x a week ?? that's only 6 sets on the whole week
i have a hard time taking a day off anyway ... i feel like i'm not doing anything !
don't forget i'm trying to find a balance between hypertrophy and strength (i know i'm compromising both).

ok, when i get to that bridge i'll cross it.

any comments on the routine ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ May 07 2005,4:59)]don't forget i'm trying to find a balance between hypertrophy and strength
That's right, some of the anabolic responses last beyond 48 hours, so working out only 2 days still works these plus allows more recouperation to your CNS to continue strength gains.
Again this goes hand and hand with how far you plan on taking each set, IE failure and the subsequent fatique that is generated. So yes you'll have to cross that bridge IF you get to it.

Your exercise choice, IMHO, is good especially the fact that they are revolved around big lifts.

Bottom line try it and see how it goes. Let us know.

Back