Stretching

Chthonian

When are the best times for stretching? Upon awakening to start your daily routine? Right before any physical job or training session? Following a job and training session? Both? Before bed?
If one had enough free time to stop and stretch throughout the day, how often and when should it be done, in order to keep muscles from growing tight, sore, or injured?

Stretching for keeping limber is good
brenda9bbig.jpg
, very very good, anytime they wish to do it. Stretching for injury prevention, from what I seen, doesn't really help to prevent injury much (if at all).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chthonian @ June 10 2005,12:56)]Is it better, then, to warmup before exercise in order to prevent injury?
Yes, and if those young girls were stretching that way where I worked out, I would get warmed up quick.

Seriously, stretching hasn't been proven to be anymore of a reduction in risk to not stretching.Clin J Sport Med. 2005 Mar;15(2):113. There is even studies relating stretching to a decrease in performance (J. Hum. Mov. Stud. 40: 307–324, 2001., Pres. Council Phys. Fitness Sports 3: 1–6, 2000., Res Q. Exerc. Sport 69: 411–415, 1998.)

Back