Support For Higher Reps For Myo Reps

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe that this supports using Myo Reps for high rep sets and not heavy reps:

46226817_1761280900649591_8909398094882275328_n.jpg

Well you can’t use myo-reps for any significantly heavy load anyway? Just my virtual of the load being too high?

No differences between the groups in any case.

I do have a problem with myo-reps on calf exercises, even with higher reps. I find if I rest more than 5 sec between each myo set, then I just keep going and I will do about 6+ myo sets after the activation set.
I must have got my calves off ebay. They are crap. :(:(:(

Most people can actually add a significant amount of weight when using calf raises without compromising the number of reps. Perhaps you are not using enough weight to begin with?

Calves - at least mine - are strange. I currently hit standing calf raises for 5X5 and then follow that with a seated calf with a myo rep set. Activation of 12-15 +4 +4 etc... usually at least 6 or 7 or more myo sets.
I increase the weight by 2.5kg (5lb) on the 5X5 every workout, at the moment 2X week - so that is a 10lb increase each week. I can try incrementing by 10lb per workout.

Calves - at least mine - are strange. I currently hit standing calf raises for 5X5 and then follow that with a seated calf with a myo rep set. Activation of 12-15 +4 +4 etc... usually at least 6 or 7 or more myo sets.
I increase the weight by 2.5kg (5lb) on the 5X5 every workout, at the moment 2X week - so that is a 10lb increase each week. I can try incrementing by 10lb per workout.
Hhooooooooow do even walk after that XD.. that's awesome haha

My experience is that calves need high reps to grow. 5X5 never cut it for me. 25 to 30 reps did followed by myo rep sets of about 15 reps to failure. Also, one day after talking to Mike Katz, I added 90 pounds to my starting weight and found I could still hit my target reps. Try it. You may be surprised.

I do one legged standing calf raise machine, normal speed up, slow negative down. I do about 10-12 reps, then some myoreps. I rest only about 10 seconds between sets.

Calves finally growing.

My experience is that calves need high reps to grow. 5X5 never cut it for me. 25 to 30 reps did followed by myo rep sets of about 15 reps to failure. Also, one day after talking to Mike Katz, I added 90 pounds to my starting weight and found I could still hit my target reps. Try it. You may be surprised.

Many many years ago, I followed a routine - I think it was Poliquin's - that was crazy reps. Something like 75-100 reps toe press on a 45 leg press. Then immediately bent leg toe presses of the same. And then stretching the calf in various positions for about 10 hours afterwards:confused:

I still like the idea of 5X5 for the standing calf, but yes, I will try it with a much bigger weight. I like surprises ;)

I do one legged standing calf raise machine, normal speed up, slow negative down. I do about 10-12 reps, then some myoreps. I rest only about 10 seconds between sets.

Calves finally growing.

Pleased for you mate.

I sometimes do one legged - I find it better for concentration. Just with the myo reps, on a 10s rest, they seem to recover very quickly, and I end up banging out way too many sets and I dont get much pump for them. I am thinking to cluster instead for AMRAP

Calves are surprisingly resilient and can take aLOT hehe...

Pleased for you mate.

I sometimes do one legged - I find it better for concentration. Just with the myo reps, on a 10s rest, they seem to recover very quickly, and I end up banging out way too many sets and I dont get much pump for them. I am thinking to cluster instead for AMRAP
I basically hit failure on every set, then sometimes I’m doing a few negatives, then only resting for a short period, then go right again... the goal is to maximize tetanus of the muscle.

OK, on the original, what am I missing on how this supports higher rep myo-reps?
It's saying with heavier loads, failure doesn't really add anything, well, it seems to add a LITTLE, for size failure was highest, then barely behind it was non failure slow eccentric, then a decent amount below was non failure fast ecc.

Back